WALMART? WHAT'S THE DEAL

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walmart shopping preference

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Walmart. what i need when i need it. I wish they paid their help more money.

I go to Walmart just before a Hurricane for the comedy floorshow. College kids and Soccermoms fighting over the bottled water, canned food and flashlight batteries. The closer the storm the more rabid they become! High comedy! :)

When I had more energy and money I wouldn't shop @ Walmart because I didn't like their HR policies. When I got serious about paying off my debt I decided to take another look at their prices. I've always had a head for numbers and while many people need to write down prices in a price book in order to know if they are a good deal I can keep most grocery items costs I usually buy in my head. When I looked at Walmart just as a way to save money on groceries I wasn't impressed with their prices. Most things except maybe their loss leaders would not save me money. I thought it was maybe just the grocery market in my area. when I visited my sister a few states away she brought up the same thing to me. So we went and did a cost comparison of a recent grocery run with a receipt just for kicks. Some over, some under but the overall amount it would have cost her a few dollars more for that particular set of groceries. With the lackluster produce, additional travel time and crowds she determined it wasn't worth it for her. I've since had similar experiences in 2 other states so I no longer think it is a regional thing. I just don't see that their prices are that great for what I routinely buy in groceries. I've found their produce to be so abysmal at the local store in my area that I won't even consider stopping in there for 1 item, let alone a regular list.

I do a lot of comparison shopping online. I have a amazon (I think it's called an) extension for my chrome browser that shows the current amazon price of whatever item I am currently looking at. I also check home depot, target, sears, kmart, etc. I also have an app that looks at the upc code and tells me other local store prices and online prices when I am at a store looking at something. When I buy new over used it is only things that I have determined I couldn't or wouldn't want to buy used, after I do my research for new online. I make very few impulse purchases and only after I already have been looking at an item so I know it's ballpark price. Recently only 2 items have been less expensive new at Walmart versus other stores and I had determined I wanted to buy new over used for certain reasons. Those are 2 items I recently purchased at walmart.

Obviously I may be buying different things than you would be buying so ymmv.

If it costs the same price I will always buy from a locally owned and operated store first. Next from a store that I have researched and I am satisfied I know enough about their HR policies to say I like them over walmart. Tied to that comes the convenience factor.

I buy very few things from them because not many things can fit my personal criteria for purchases.

Apparently I went over the 5 min edit time while I was typing this out. Oops

I see two WalMarts, the "just another big box store" in and around larger cities and the "best place to shop for value and selection" in many smaller towns and lower density areas. In cities WalMart doesn't pay as well nor have the benefits of say Costco, and the selection is nothing special. In the hinterlands WalMart is a better place to work than most smaller stores and has a far better selection of goods at better prices than the smaller stores. Most of us here have the city view, go to a SuperStore out in the sticks, look at the employees and talk to them, it's surprising.

Corky

Corky52 raised an excellent point about where you visit Walmart. Since I live on Public Land I have extremely limited shopping. I have to drive to a bigger town to get a Walmart and that town probably has a population of 10-20,000 and there are very few choices besides Walmart. In my situation, Walmart is a godsend and can save me half on my shopping budget!!

If I lived in Phoenix, I would probably rarely shop Walmart also. They have a Winco which is an employee owned West coast grocery chain, best grocery store I've ever seen!! And cheaper than Walmart across the board.

But it's 150 miles away and the nearest Walmart is 40. Guess which go to?
Bob

Like 'em or hate 'em, Wally's does provide local jobs. I have the blessing of many options, but then Tallahassee is a decent sized city. Even the smaller towns nearby have a Wally's but have other local stores too. You go where you personally prefer.
I rarely buy groceries at Wally's, preferring the Publix that is also my pharmacy. It's further from me, but very close to Mom's place where I spend a lot of time. Going there today to get her groceries and a couple meds. Her meds are cheaper at Publix than at Wally's where she went prior to Dad's passing.
Ammo - I handload all I shoot except rimfire, and that I order online.
Clothes - I buy undies and some shirts at Wally's, but Tractor Supply has better shirts. Local shoe stores have better quality shoes. I will pay more for better footwear. Chinese-cheap is not good for the tootsies!
I do get some kitchen items at Wally's but in some cases do go across town to "Bed, Bath & Beyond" - they are proud of their stuff (spendy!) but the quality is far better.
One thing most foreign-born folks will tell you when they come here, is that we Americans are truly blessed with choices in products. So many different stores with so many different brands, all price and quality levels, something for everybody!

My closest one is 14 grueling city miles away - hence I've only seen the inside of a Walmart twice in the last decade.... an emergency maxi-pad run [good selection] and an emergency wine run [dreadful selection]. Different occasions. :)

However, I once briefly lived in a rural southern area where the local Walmart was the weakly beating heart of the town. In the span of six months, I was inside a Walmart enough for an entire lifetime. Man oh man, as we all know, is "People of Walmart" ever spot on...

I can't say that I'm entirely thrilled by the apparent prevalence of Walmart in so many nomadic lives on the web. Small price, though. :)

Such snobs. Yet you people will eat fast food and not complain about the wages they pay (not to mention you're flirting with food poisoning). Selective snobbery. Tonight after the store I work at closes, I will stop at the one of the two non-convenience stores in town (population: 48,000+) that will be open, to pick up a few things that I need (forgot). I do not shop at Albertsons but rarely. I have to pass it on my way home. I think they are expensive and you should not smell the seafood dept at the back of the store when you walk in the front of the store (smells like fishing docks on a hot August day). I buy very few things at Wal-Mart. Tonight I need to buy some Sleepytime tea and Unisom. I need to sleep more then 3 hours. Sam's Club does not carry Sleepytime or Unisom. Otherwise I would not be making the trip. Unfortunately they do not have a Publix in this god-forsaken state. I really like Publix. Very nice bakery, deli and seafood.

I shop at Walmart once or twice per month. The nice thing about Wally World is that they are almost always open, have a decent selection of most things and their prices are always among the lowest (or at least competitive). Yeah, some other grocery stores might have sales or better prices on some items, but not enough to make me want to spend my time driving around trying to save a couple bucks. The one thing I will say is I NEVER shop at Walmart on weekends or at other busy times. I'll mostly go in the mid morning when it's mostly older shoppers or very late at night when the crowds are very thin.

I have a love/hate relationship with Walmart.

Today I had someone run out and grab some #2 Pencils and a pencil sharpener for me(plus some beer...lol). They get back and I try to sharpen the first pencil, no luck because the graphite or whatever it is seems to be broken every 5mm or so. Sharpen 3 different pencils down to about halfway or so and could never get a sharp point because the lead/graphite would fall out of the pencil tip. About had an aneurysm. The cost on the 6 wooden pencils and a cheap sharpener was about a 1.80$. Had the pencils returned and asked for a mechanical pencil. Steamin' at Walmart and their cheap ass wooden pencils while I waited for a replacement mechanical pencil, hoping they didn't charge some rediculous price for a mechanical pencil when they couldn't even have a wooden pencil manufactured properly. Ride came back with my mechanical pencil(s)...yeah 5 mechanical pencils in the pack. Turns out the total cost difference was about .35 cents...between 6 wooden pencils and a cheap sharpener and 5 mechanical pencils the price difference was .35 cents! Sometimes I freakin love Walmart! Lol The mechanical pencils were a bit cheap, but they are working great.

I love walmart.  They let me camp in their parking lot, use their rest room, and have anything I need.  If you don't take advantage of Walmart, you're losing out.

I buy #2 pencils at Walmart but only the Dixon Ticonderoga brand.  I sharpen them almost every day to do my crossword puzzles. I love sharp, sharp pencils!

I frequent wall mart. Cheap wrangler jeans. Oil and filters. My starter batteries. Grocery selection. Camping goods. Fishing stuff. Electronics. The list is long. I have been taught to closely examine any thing I buy as the other customers will steal parts and volume. But that isn't WM doing. Low wages? If we don't shop and WM loses $, then they layoff employees. If WM is profitable the employees have a better chance of organizing to gain some benefit.

It is hard to beat the price and national warranty on tires.

I will go there about once a month. I just wish there was a WINCO close by!

I finally had to open this thread, curious with its longevity.

It is as expected.

I go to Walmart for 5 quart jugs of Oil. as it would be the equivalent of buy 4 get one free in other stores.

When I do utilize their parking lot for overnighting, I will pick up some food staples. Otherwise I tend to avoid them, and all interactions with the walmartians, and their Ilk.
If that makes me a snob, so be it.

Most S California Wally World's do not allow overnighting.

My closest wallyworld is actually pretty empty most times I've been there, and there are occasionally some good looking women walking around, but Nothing compared to going to Target in These parts, or Trader Joe's. But Look only! don't attempt to interact. Most are evil Mercedes SUV driving self declared princesses who are far too good to acknowledge the presence of the serfs around them.

I use Walmart's restroom when traveling. I never walk out empty handed. I always pick up something to eat or drink. Now I have to suffer the consequence, gotta lose about 15lbs. to get back in shape. This happens every winter.

Latest posts