Walmart 1A automatic battery charger/ maintainer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XERTYX

Reaction score
I bought this today when I bought my house battery.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Everstar...Battery-Charger-and-Maintainer-BM1E/500329739

I'm glad I did. My battery is a 27DC 109Ah from Wally world for $69.96

The charger was $19.96

It's been on the charger now for over 2 hours and isnt out of bulk charge.

The charger itself is warm to the touch and its surprising that probably 30+ watt hours later this brand new battery is so low. Mfg label of April 2021.

But it's not that unusual.  I'd say this charger is being pushed to its absolute limit. I'll remark on it if it fails etc.

I do like that it comes with alligator clip cables AND ring terminal connectors with a SAE dongle so it can be hard mounted and still quick release.

A little over 4 hours later the charger shows a green light (fully charged) but the voltage is 13.82v. Before I connected it I measured the no load voltage of the charger leads. It was around 15 volts. I didnt write it down.

I'm going to leave it connected a while and see if it rises to 14.4v or wherever it winds up.

Note: the initial resting voltage of the battery was 12.87v.

13.91 volts and climbing. It does seem to have an absorption charge mode. Is float charging far behind? Will it be a reasonable float point? Only time will tell.

So far I am impressed with this charger. I wanted to go with the same model that was 3A and also the same price, but no ring terminal connection. I suppose I could exchange the 3a for this one and cut off the alligator clips and replace with a ring terminal, but I dont have any SAE connectors. I wouldn't want to use spade connectors which is all I have ATM.

I'm thinking of keeping this one and once I get a PSW power supply to add a SAE connector dongle to the starting battery so I can maintain my start battery from my solar bank, or keep my house battery or others maintained if I'm parked.

1 Amp is not a lot......this is a new battery without a Load ?

You need to be able to replace what you use.............

A maintenance or trickle charger is designed to keep a fully charged battery from self discharging, not bring a low battery back up. 1 amp can be too little to accomplish this with some batteries

Yeah. This isnt to replace usage. Just to maintain self discharge. And its connected to a brand new battery just purchased today. I WAS going to buy a 29DC as I heard that walmart was leaving the battery market. They had a cardboard standee with 29DCs and one with 27DCs. My sister talked me out of the 29DC until I got my stimulus check. And now they're out of stock so I have a 27DC.

My solar charge controller came today, but my panels are estimated to arrive April 16th-20th so I wanted a maintainer in the interim.