Should I replace the battery?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have you checked what the actual draw is. I still think you are drawing more than you think. highdesertranger

Bob, do you mean physical size or amp-hours? Its a group size 24, so actually pretty small as far as batteries go.

My Suburban furnace pulls 2.9 amps and my propane detector pulls .046 amps per hour. The blower motor in the furnace pulls more than I thought it would; took me a while to find out exactly how much without a meter.
As has been mentioned, some battery manufacturers label their batteries at a certain amp hour rating at a low discharge rate like 1 amp hour. This is misleading to the consumer.
Batteries will indicate a lower voltage in cold weather so this many be why your alarm is going off. I would test it again using a multimeter in warmer day temps (unless you are stuck in the polar vortex!)

I have found for myself that this is the reason that I need to know exactly how much power everything uses. I have a small solar system with a four year old, 100 a/h, C-20 Lifeline battery. The high summer temps here really hurt the battery. It's almost time for a new one.