Wall Mount Folding Laptop Desk

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacks18614

Reaction score
I found this item while searching for a folding table. With my new upcoming interior build being just 30 sq ft I need to make items do double duty such as my indoor kitchen and desk for my netbook. This weighs 29 lbs empty so it needs some serious mounting hardware and some extra latches to keep the drawer from opening in transit (connect).

71o2TTs39pL._SL1500_.jpg
It's going to be mounted to the drivers side quarter panel with another 23"w x 15"d folding table mounted below the rear glass on the drivers side rear door to make an outdoor kitchen. My CF-18 frig is going to be placed in the van up against the folding table to give the frig indoor and outdoor access.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SGL276

I really like the design but I'm not a fan of MDF. You would have much better and possibly lighter unit if you built it yourself using plywood or even solid boards. Whatever you decide to do include some thin strips of wood on the bottom edges of the shelves to keep things in places as you drive. Looking forward to seeing your finished build!

I am not a woodworker but a wood butcher so I have to buy a finished product. My plan is to cut a bit of reflectix to size using Velcro stick on as an interior splatter shield plus a 6" round RV 12v fan exhaust vent (100cfm) located in the top of the drivers side rear door so as not to cut a hole in the roof and have to deal with any leakage due to the nature of the uneven roof.

I do something similar. My cargo van had steel contractors' cabinets in it when I bought it. The doors fold downward. I added chains to the top door to hold it horizontal and now it's my desk/table.

I could easily source a floor mount contractors cabinet from a salvage yard but do to the nature of a TC vs. GM Express it would take up some floor space and with just 6'x4' I have none to offer.

My plywood and 2by4 30"w x 72"l bed frame needs a 6" hinged extension (adjust the front passenger seat forward for sleeping mode) to accommodate my 74" 300 pound body and the 30"x77"x3"D Basecamp thermarest XL .

I'd try a hinged, two-piece plywood desk of whatever size I wanted, with the chains like MrNoodly mentioned that hangs on the van wall.

I really need the enclosed storage space and room to mount my paper towel holder vertically off one of the sides (closer to the rear would be best for easy access from the outside) and I want to recycle this [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Soledi Kitchen Organizer, Wall Hanging Multifunctional Aluminum Kitchen Wall Rack, Wall Shelf, Condiment Bottle Rack, Utensil / Pot / Pan Hanger Hook, Towel...(made of lightweight aluminum)[/font] from my old camper which by the manufactures specs of both items should fit inside the main center area. With the bottom shelf on such an upslope it should keep the noise of the hanging utensils at a minimum in Transit (Connect) mode.

61hdrgHwo9L._SL1001_.jpg

As a follow up to this thread I have decided not to buy the desk to save 29 pounds and $85 and go with a folding table from my last camper build and a Black Mesh Net Hammock Cargo Storage Vehicle Organizer Premium Quality 32"x11"

61WJOCnOSIL._SL1500_.jpg

815MI1Ij6qL._SL1200_.jpg