Walkway width of truck campers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimkelb89

Reaction score
Hello! I'm deciding between either a truck camper and a class b. But the problem is that I can't tell from pics and video how wide the walkway is. I'm going to an RV show next week to see more in person. But the problem I am worried about is that I am a woman with wide hips. Doesn't matter how much I weight, they will always be on the wide side. So I don't want to get a camper that I will bang into everytime I stroll from end to the other. Idk what camper I will get but it will be used so I can't give a brand. I can't find the right specs for ANY camper online (it doesn't state walkway length at all). Any help would be appreciated.

Well, that will really vary but it is going to be narrow. In tight spots in RVs, one walks sideways. Class B will be the same or tighter. If you'll have a toilet/shower, that area will be tighter yet. Have had Class C, TT, 5th wheel, pop-up campers and all were a tight squeeze in some areas. I learned to walk sideways or stand on my tip toes in order to raise above a furniture piece so I could clear the area. Now the 5th wheel had 2 slides, so that was a breeze in those areas. Even a small slide can be helpful. I know this won't be much help, but seriously, walking sideways for no further than you'll be going at one time will probably work. Also, interesting free publication you can get through email is: https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/ I really enjoy the free online magazine and info, although most magazines will tend to show some bias but can still provide good info.

IIRC the isle width in my Roadtrek is 30 or 32 inches and about 6-7 feet long.  The wife and I can pass in the isle by sliding sideways.  The commode may be your big problem.  YMMV

Good luck!

kimkelb89 said:
Hello! I'm deciding between either a truck camper and a class b. But the problem is that I can't tell from pics and video how wide the walkway is . . .

Go to your RV show and get inside as many as you can.  Go to RV dealers and/or look as some that are listed on Craig's List.

Truck campers are going to vary a lot.  I have a FWC Grandby with a home built interior. I designed it with a 32" wide walkway, a friends camper has only a 23" wide walkway as it was made to fit onto a Ford Ranger or Dodge Dakota (his door is also only 25" wide, mine is 31").

I don't know about class b, but you are going to want to sit in the bathroom, they can be awfully cramped.

I've seen some truck campers from Lance Manufacturing with slides that range from those that give a little more space to others that are HUGE on the inside. I honestly could not believe, viewing from the outside, the spaciousness on the inside. https://www.lancecamper.com

rm.w/aview said:
I've seen some truck campers from Lance Manufacturing with slides that range from those that give a little more space to others that are HUGE on the inside. I honestly could not believe, viewing from the outside, the spaciousness on the inside. https://www.lancecamper.com

I saw this Lance the other day, unreal!! 

Be aware also that some Class Bs have a rather narrow entryway.  They often put the kitchen halfway in front of the side door, and I've been in a couple that were a challenge to get in and out of unless the passenger seat was rotated or leaned all the way forward.  That's a definite deal breaker for me - I want seamless indoor/outdoor living with wide open doors and plenty of windows.
And there's the safety issue.  Some of them don't even have rear doors, so a kitchen fire right in front of the main exit could be pretty hairy.  
RV shows are a great place to see many different styles.  Go climb in as many as you can, even ones you don't think are right for you.  You never know what might spark a new idea.
And it's fun!  Wear comfy shoes and allow plenty of time.

mayble said:
Be aware also that some Class Bs have a rather narrow entryway.  They often put the kitchen halfway in front of the side door, and I've been in a couple that were a challenge to get in and out of unless the passenger seat was rotated or leaned all the way forward.  That's a definite deal breaker for me - I want seamless indoor/outdoor living with wide open doors and plenty of windows.

I agree with you, and being claustrophobic makes the narrow space even smaller. And then there's the cost of what's in there vs my doing it myself, which would give me more room as I'd tailor it for me. If purchasing a completed RV, a B+ would give more room, most being in the 93"-96" width exterior. Kimkelb89, this may be another choice for you to add to your research. The B+ would give you the mobility of a B or Truck Camper, but with more interior room. Some are 4X4 and most if not all have duals at the rear.

Thank you all for your replies. Just when you think you've narrowed it down...lol. Both seem to be in limited supply used. A van conversion is cost prohibitive atm as well as I am not currently physically able to do that kind of work. It will be a few months before I can.  But waiting to do this isn't an option. (I'm on SSD and need to figure something out. I make too little to even have roommates, let alone my own place.)  And I wouldn't be able to go long in a van without the walking room (back issues). After reading more and watching videos, it seems that getting a conversion van to camp and a trailer to pull that you can also live in may be best for me. And both of those are more available used. Camping for long periods in the van won't work but for short periods where I can walk/hike, and go back to a trailer, that would work.