Vtwinkicker van build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtwinkicker

Reaction score

Attachments

• DSC00613.JPG
    DSC00613.JPG
    1.7 MB
  • bedfolded (2).JPG
    bedfolded (2).JPG
    1.6 MB
  • expandingbed.JPG
    expandingbed.JPG
    1.7 MB
  • bedexpanded.JPG
    bedexpanded.JPG
    1.7 MB
  • DaVan.JPG
    DaVan.JPG
    1.7 MB
nice construction techniques. 1x2's that's all you need, no need for 2x4's. pocket screws too. I like good job. people should note this type of construction. I see so many people using 2x4's when it's totally unnecessary. highdesertranger

I chose 4 2x4s for my bed so I could use only 4 legs. Lots of clearance under the bed for storage.

They have their place.

That bed looks great to me! Great use of space. I'm not really a carpenter so I overbuild everything. I mainly use 2x4s. But if you know what you are doing 2x2s can work fine.
Bob

akrvbob said:
That bed looks great to me! Great use of space. I'm not really a carpenter so I overbuild everything. I mainly use 2x4s. But if you know what you are doing 2x2s can work fine.
Bob

I'm no carpenter/plumber/electrician either but we do what we can. I made the bed expandable like that so I can fit my motorcycle (XT250) in the van then expand the bed to the open position and same in reverse. Close the bed so I can roll the bike out. I was able to get a 4ft wide bed and still fit the bike.
Greg

well if you have no experience like you claim, you sure did a fine job on your first try. if you are not a carpenter you missed your calling. highdesertranger

batbox.JPGboxopen.JPGchgctlr.JPG
highdesertranger said:
well if you have no experience like you claim,  you sure did a fine job on your first try.  if you are not a carpenter you missed your calling.  highdesertranger
Thanks HDR,

No experience in the trades but I own a home so one has to learn how to do everything or go broke paying someone else. This is my 4th van since '77 so I've made my share of mistakes, and still am. As long as it is functional and gets me in the woods I'm doing it right.  :^)

Here's a couple pics of the battery box and solar hookup. I put the batteries under the floor to save interior storage space. The charge controller is mounted on the wall in the back of the cabinet with a piece of plexiglass in front of it to protect it from closet contents and to keep it visible. I also have a Trimetric 2030 mounted on the wall above to monitor the batteries.
Greg

Attachments

• batbox.JPG
    batbox.JPG
    1.8 MB
  • boxopen.JPG
    boxopen.JPG
    1.6 MB
  • chgctlr.JPG
    chgctlr.JPG
    1.7 MB
Jugfront.JPGJugback.JPGstepwell.JPG
vtwinkicker said:
Here's a few more pics of todays work. I remade the water jug caddy with nicer plywood and mounted it on the wall. I think its a 2 or 2.5 gallon jug. It will gravity feed the sink.

When I put down the plywood floor I cut the lip off the plastic step well so the plywood would lay flat. The plastic was bulging out past the plywood so I had to put something to hold it in place. I have some old maple flooring laying around so I cut a piece to fit and rabbeted the back to hold the plastic in place. I also put a 45 degree bevel on the front so its not a sharp edge.

Attachments

• Jugfront.JPG
    Jugfront.JPG
    1.4 MB
  • Jugback.JPG
    Jugback.JPG
    1.4 MB
  • stepwell.JPG
    stepwell.JPG
    1.9 MB
this might be a little off topic, but every spout like that one on your water jug, that I have tried over the years would drip. it was always really slow, but it still leaked. does yours? highdesertranger

Thank you, that trim piece is the solution I was looking for.

I did the same thing - had the plastic stepwell cut down so that the lip wasn't overhanging the floor but needed a means of securing it in place!

Excellent!

highdesertranger said:
this might be a little off topic,  but every spout like that one on your water jug,  that I have tried over the years would drip.  it was always really slow, but it still leaked.  does yours?  highdesertranger

I haven't  used this jug yet so I don't know. I'll have to fill it soon and find out.

highdesertranger said:
this might be a little off topic,  but every spout like that one on your water jug,  that I have tried over the years would drip.  it was always really slow, but it still leaked.  does yours?  highdesertranger

I haven't used the jug yet so I don't know. I'll have to fill it and find out.

Almost There said:
Thank you, that trim piece is the solution I was looking for.

I did the same thing - had the plastic stepwell cut down so that the lip wasn't overhanging the floor but needed a means of securing it in place!

Excellent!

LA, glad one of my solutions is also useful for you. FYI, I pre-drilled with a countersink bit and used 2 inch deck screws. It appears very solid and should hold up to the abuse it will take.

frontslideropen.JPGFrontslidersclosed.JPGrearslideropen.JPGrearslidersclosed.JPG
Today's work turned out well without too many hiccups. I closed in the overcab storage and the rear overhead storage with sliding doors. I was going to build a drop down or fold up door but decided to go with sliders instead. I didn't want to deal with hinges today. The build went well but time will tell how it works out while on the road. Here's a couple of pics. I still need to add knobs or drill finger holes to open and close the doors.

Attachments

• frontslideropen.JPG
    frontslideropen.JPG
    1.6 MB
  • Frontslidersclosed.JPG
    Frontslidersclosed.JPG
    1.7 MB
  • rearslideropen.JPG
    rearslideropen.JPG
    1.5 MB
  • rearslidersclosed.JPG
    rearslidersclosed.JPG
    1.6 MB
looks good. I would go with finger holes, that way if one door must pass the other it's no biggie. highdesertranger

vtwinkicker, are you a Vermonter? I ask due to both "vt" prefix and inherent ingenuity. I like the build so far.

TMG51 said:
vtwinkicker, are you a Vermonter? I ask due to both "vt" prefix and inherent ingenuity. I like the build so far.

See, now, I read it as V-Twin kicker, as in the motorcycle engine... :D

And I agree, nice build so far!!

Have you road tested the sliding cabinet doors yet? The old interior that came with my van had sliding doors that rattled like a million mothers going down the highway, maybe it was the way it was built by the previous owner... :rolleyes:

Almost There said:

That makes more sense! Stood out to me differently as a Vermonter.

Reminds me of a friend. On an etymology exam, he defined "binoculars" as "two noculars."

He received partial credit for applying the concept.

Almost There said:

And I agree, nice build so far!!

Have you road tested the sliding cabinet doors yet? The old interior that came with my van had sliding doors that rattled like a million mothers going down the highway, maybe it was the way it was built by the previous owner... :rolleyes:

You got it! 30 years kickstarting Harleys.

I was wondering if the sliders would either rattle or slide while driving. haven't road tested them yet. If they do there will be a fix for that too! Maybe just stuff the area so full they can do neither!   :)