Vintage SM Block vs Big Block

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlotte\ said:
I never hit the road unless my VW was in tip top shape.  I lways carry
a full complement of spares & hoses, along with the Bentley repair
manual, for when I need to translate/supervise repairs.  My Spanish
includes a good working auto vocabulary & an understanding of how to
deal with the culture of Mexican repair shops. I carry good quality basic
tools, along with flares, a good tow strap, etc for roadside emergencies---
of which there were none!

Marry me!

;)

Itripper said:
.... manual 4 wheel drum brakes can be a handful though, especially on twisty mountains (in fact dangerous).

Especially dangerous if you plan to tow a trailer.

slow2day said:
"If you're willing to spend $11k + on a 45 year old truck, I guess you could afford to weather a breakdown now and then?"

Slow,
Never said I planned to spend $11K on a 45 year old truck. 

Only asked for a critique of one particular CL truck.  From feedback, learned something critical: 
Highboys not suitable for me &360 not best choice.
This is the sort of info I need to "learn" about old trucks.

:) Charlotte

UptownSport said:
"But, if you can keep a transporter going, why would you ask for advice from idiots like us? LoL"

Why?  Because some of my best friends are idiots! :p

As to keeping my Westfalias roadworthy:  There's a method to the madness.
First I chose a vehicle suitable for type of travel I planned.  Next, I
learned all I could about the needs/foibles & limitations.

(Consulted relevant chapter on buying a VW in "How to Keep Your VW Alive.")

I took my time, looked at a lot of VWs for sale & waited until I found one
that seemed right (& had good vibes!).  When I bought my water boxer in '99
I spent hours daily on an active/friendly VW forum that had a good percentage
of gurus. With water cooled Vdubs, learning to identify symtoms is key to
diagnosis.  Tho quirky, there are only a limited number of consistent problems.

Once I took off for adventure SOB, with Bentley manual & spare parts/hoses,
if a problem presented, I could suggest to mechanics what to check first.

I had a number of mechanical issues thru the years, but none left me stranded
on the side of the road.  Now, as I consider possibility of vintage truck, I am
digging in again to learn all I can.  I'm in no hurry to make a decision.

:rolleyes: Charlotte

[quote="Charlotte']
As to keeping my Westfalias roadworthy:  There's a method to the madness.
[/quote]

Your '85 would be perfect for a Subaru engine transplant.

slow2day said:
"Your '85 would be perfect for a Subaru engine transplant."

Yes!  It would indeed.  The Bus Lab, in Berkeley is top rated for this conversion.  I've spoken
to them & learned that it would cost me probably 18 grand---not including other needed repairs.
Much as I love my Westy, where I am headed/relocating, I am going to need a truck for all
sorts of things. 

Someone needs to buy the MexicCali Rose & do the Subaru conversion.  Theywould have a great
travel van.  It's in beautiful shape inside & out---including a Shady Boyawning, new upholstery,
great paint, no rust, etc. Plus every repair/parts receipt since I bought it in '99.

I guess the point I am trying to make is unless you do a frame up restoration using quality parts and touch every bolt yourself having a lot of knowledge a 45 year old truck will nickel and dime you to death or at least less than outstanding repairs and the present day economic pressures on most repair shops will. It is difficult enough to find quality parts. I'm sure having owned a VW you have seen the demise and lack of quality in repair parts available. Up dating brake systems, improving cooling systems, building engines to specs so they can run on fuels available today all costs money, lots of money. Over the years these trucks have most likely been used and abused. Finding one that hasn't will be difficult. Getting one that someone like HDR has built and not worn out very expensive. Maybe you can go into business HDR as it seems there is a market out there!

I am kinda in the business now on the parts side. I sell mostly by word of mouth and Craig's List. highdesertranger

bullfrog said:
"... the point I am trying to make is unless you do a frame up restoration using quality parts and touch every bolt yourself having a lot of knowledge a 45 year old truck will nickel and dime you to death..."

Bullfrog,

Points well taken:  I am in no position to be nickel/dimed to death!  Even before VW parts became unavailable
except online at inflated cost, I knew when the day came my income was no longer connected to travel SOB, I
would need to let the Westfalia go.  

(BTW, I traveled in winter when homestead was buttoned up till spring & returned in time for kidding season.)

So Bullfrog, I hear what you're saying re parts.  I am up against that already with VW & don't want a repeat.
I confess I am a romantic & longed for an old school vintage truck.  As to getting home after a EMP/CME---
perhaps I'll just pack a bigger GHB with several pair of boots!  

(And BTW Bulldog, I forgive you for comparing me to your wife!  :p But look  before you leap...

Charlotte

that's why I recommend Chevy. there are hundreds of parts sellers, there are 5 in Orange County alone, just beware of junk. I don't see parts being a problem for at least 20-30 years. by that time I will have 4-5 trucks in parts stocked up. we have 2 trucks at the moment for parts. a 2wd suburban and a 4wd truck. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
"I don't see parts being a problem for at least 20-30 years." 

OK Stranger, you've put my mind somewhat at ease. 
Now just don't go & fall into a mine shaft & turn up missing just when I need parts!  :s 

:rolleyes: Charlotte

Believe me the comparison with my wife was a compliment. When she makes up her mind to do something she does it, even if it costs her she sees it through. She also is as good as a lot of today's mechanics after almost 40 years of being married to one ( she could probably be A.S.E. certified after years of helping my students practice for their certs) and only ended up having problems because she didn't do her own work and bought parts that had a good reputation but had lowered their quality standards in order to make enough money to stay in business against competition selling low priced parts. I believe if you total up prices of parts and the labor to install them you will soon see that a $5,000 45 year old truck dependable enough to keep going on road trips towing is gonna end up costing $10,000 to $15,000. That being said if you were lucky enough to buy something like her Wagoneer for $3,500 and invest another $5,000 you could end up doing okay. HDR is dead on with his advice in my opinion, a rust free Chevy rebuilt with factory parts if you can afford the gas and upgrades is the way to go but most of those are selling for at least $10,000 to $25,000 restored. I saw a 1968 1 ton small block regular cab class C on CL the other day that had been sitting for years for $2,900 and a done 1966 eight lug single wheel Chevy 2 wheel drive flatbed with updated drive train for $8,000 so maybe there is something out there but I haven't seen them in several months of looking. As HDR stated paying $2,000 for a parts truck makes you wonder what you will pay for one to be rebuilt. There are a lot of people looking for the same thing as you are I hope you get lucky.

that's a very clean old truck. nothing wrong with the carb, Edelbrocks are very simple easy to rebuild carbs, although the factory Q-jet would get a little better MPG. I love the AM radio and no one has butchered the dash to put a newer radio in. it does have the gas tank behind the seat if that bothers you. over all I would take a look if only to see what's out there. highdesertranger

^
Cool old truck. Even has A/C but I wonder if it works? R12 system that would be expensive to recharge if it does. Remember NM summers!

Appears to have a new Edelbrock or Holley 4bbl carb. The giant gas tank in the bed makes you wonder what they were towing with it. The mileage could be way more than 81k because of the 5-digit speedo.

Since it was used for heavy-duty towing and possibly having higher mileage, it may need a rebuild sooner than later. A '69 was designed to run on leaded gas; possible problems with using unleaded gasahol these days.

One thing about an old truck like this is that it would keep good resale value. But then that could be far surpassed by what you would spend on keeping it running.

I would consider buying it if it was about $4500 or so.

Years ago I had a 1963 Chevy pickup and if I remember correctly it had coil springs front and back...and it had a very soft, 'floaty' ride. (wood plank bed floor too!) I don't know when they switched to rear leafs....I assume this one you linked has leafs but I dont know that. 

And the gastank in the cab worries me a bit...yes that's just the way they built them back then. Then they went with saddle tanks...issues there too. 

I see the prices of these pickups on the web....I bought that 1963 Chevy in 1983 for $275. I kid you not.

I drove it for 5 years, then sold it for $300. Again, I kid you not.

It had a lot of body rust and the smallest inline 6 motor with a "3 on the tree", but I shudder to think what it might be worth now to a collector.

Live and learn.

highdesertranger said:
"...that's a very clean old truck.  nothing wrong with the carb,  Edelbrocks are very simple easy to rebuild carbs,  although the factory Q-jet would get a little better MPG.  I love the AM radio and no one has butchered the dash to put a newer radio in.  it does have the gas tank behind the seat if that bothers you."

As to gas tank behind seat:  would that be a concern for you?  Never knew they could be placed there...
I used to go up in an experimental 2-seater plane with the pilot/builder.  Passenger seat was sandwiched
between gas tanks & I could watch the gas sloshing!

I noted this truck has 3 gas tanks.  Perhaps, if behind-seat tank not good idea, I could use alternate tanks?

I'd planned originally to buy truck here in N Ca, pull household goods in cargo trailer.  Now I am thinking
better plan to rent U Haul truck, unload in NM, rent car & search for NM truck.  Prices lower there,
including registration.  Not to mention dry climate.

Thanks, Stranger (btw, liked the color & good big mirrors!)

slow2day said:
Cool old truck. Even has A/C but I wonder if it works?  R12 system that would be expensive to recharge if it does. Remember NM summers!

Appears to have a new Edelbrock or Holley 4bbl carb.   The giant gas tank in the bed makes you wonder what they were towing with it.  The mileage could be way more than 81k because of the 5-digit speedo.  

Since it was used for heavy-duty towing and possibly having higher mileage, it may need a rebuild sooner than later. A '69 was designed to run on leaded gas; possible problems with using unleaded gasahol these days.

Thanks Slow---
As to AC: Never use it---not even in S Mexico.  Open windows just fine.
Where I'm headed in NM, altitude 6000 ft, summers rarely above mid 80's.

As to mileage, I wondered about that too. Overall condition of truck,
& even original headliner, etc leaves me to suspect it has been cherished.
Perhaps ever stored under cover.

If price was right & all else checked out, I would willingly take on an
engine replacement.  This truck, whatever it's been "up to" is no beater.

If I were in NM right now & ready to look seriously, I'd inspect this one.

Your feedback appreciated.  Once I am ready, I will know a helluva lot
more that I did even two days ago.