Vintage Pickup Camper Shell?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte's Web

Reaction score
In a few months I'll be buying a full size vintage (70s to 1985) pickup truck.  Best, naturally, if I can find what I need with camper shell included.  But if not---will I be able to find a camper shell to fit?  I will be relocating & towing an enclosed cargo trailer.  Intend to load the camper shell as well as the trailer.

Thanks all,
rolleyes.gif
Charlotte

If you're on Facebook go to truck cap camping. Mike, the gentleman who runs the page has a super clean older Chevy with a period appropriate cap on it for sale. And I do mean super clean.

Charlotte\ said:
In a few months I'll be buying a full size vintage (70s to 1985) pickup truck.  Best, naturally, if I can find what I need with camper shell included.  But if not---will I be able to find a camper shell to fit?  I will be relocating & towing an enclosed cargo trailer.  Intend to load the camper shell as well as the trailer.

Thanks all,
rolleyes.gif
Charlotte

I've looked into this before for my 65 Dodge Truck. It is very hard to find a well fitting camper shell for your exact model older truck, I sold mine many years ago and recently wanted to get another, .  By far the best way is to find a vintage truck with a fitted camper shell from the period already on it.

masterplumber said:
If you're on Facebook go to truck cap camping. Mike, the gentleman who runs the page has a super clean older Chevy with a period appropriate cap on it for sale. And I do mean super clean.

Thanks for the tip, MP.

I am not on Facebook, however.  Also will not be in a position to buy a truck for some months yet. 
Forming my plan now, tho.  When I am ready to hunt/buy a truck I will ask again here for leads! 
I realize finding a vintage truck with camper shell narrows the field, but one can hope...

Cheers,
:rolleyes: Charlotte

Charlotte\ said:
In a few months I'll be buying a full size vintage (70s to 1985) pickup truck.  
rolleyes.gif
Charlotte

There are several for sale on craigslist in Spokane.  If your looking for some old school cool, there is a couple of Alaskan truck campers.

we just bought another k30. 1974 Chevy 1 ton 4x4. bought it for 2k, lots of good stuff on this one. highdesertranger

I will post pics in the future. when I say we, it's my buddy and me we split the cost. we are going to take off the highly desirable parts and then we will reassemble with other parts or part out what's left. highdesertranger

aw come on aren't you going to ask what parts? or why would we pay 2k for a 43 year old truck? highdesertranger

Grizzly708 said:
"There are several for sale on craigslist in Spokane.  If your looking for some old school cool, there is a couple of Alaskan truck campers."

Yes, checked out Spokane CL...
Yikes, what sticker shock!  I am only just beginning to learn what I will need to tow a cargo trailer to my new digs in another state.  I need plenty of torque (new concept) and three quarter ton with tow package or heavy duty chassis
to handle proper added hitch receiver....is that the right term? 

Plenty of reasonably priced half tons, especially F100s etc, but once you step up the price sky rockets... :huh:

Not much out there with a camper shell.  I will need the shell to camp/sleep in en route, otherwise I fear loss
of contents of cargo trailer.  Can't risk that!

It is a good thing I've got months to learn what it is, exactly, that I need.
Thanks for tips/advice.
:rolleyes: Charlotte