Viair Compressor

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travelmonkey

Reaction score
I have a Viair Compressor that works great for filling my truck and travel trailer tires.  It connects to a battery using alligator clips.  This is no issue for topping off my truck tires, but if I need to fill my trailer tires, I can't be hitched up because the it doesn't reach.

I was thinking about cutting off the alligator clips and replacing with an anderson plug.  I would also put a cable with battery terminal rings on the trailer and an anderson plug to quickly connect/disconnect.  

Alternatively, I could just put battery terminal lugs on my trailer battery and use the alligator clips.

Does anyone have thoughts on either of these ideas?  Any alternative suggestions?

when I had a Viair it said that the compressor needed 14.2 volts, which means you needed to have the engine running. that was even stated in the instructions. Is that no longer the case? there was a huge difference on mine trying to run it with the engine not running. do you have a model number? a longer air hose is always better than a longer power cord. highdesertranger

I've been using mine for at least a year without starting the engine. That's only adding a few pounds at a time to get up to 80. I would, of course, start the engine if I was adding a lot. I had just assumed that they said to start the engine so you wouldn't run down the battery. I didn't know that they wanted 14v! I check my tires on the C monthly and they always take about two pounds.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Thanks HDR. I don't see the 14.2 volt requirement. The manual cautions about draining your battery and that performance is better when engine is running. I've used it connected to my trailer batteries successfully.

I'm typically I just want to top off my tires before a trip.

Viair makes different compressors. Mine requires engine to be running, but they make a less powerful one that doesn't need engine running.
I love my compressor BTW.