12v light strips

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The lights don't turn on when I connect them directly to DC power(alligator clips to a car battery), but do work if I connect them to my wall outlet using the DC converter. I measured 12.35V DC at the plug going into the control box in both situations and even measured 12V DC at the other end of the light strips in both situations. Why can't I get them to work without the AC to DC adapter? :huh: :huh:

Sounds simple but are you connecting them in the right polarity when you are connecting them directly?

Dragonfly,

The info supplied doesn't make sense. A bit of a brain twister. Could you post a link to the set of lights you're working with?

Does it say 12 Volt on the box, or 110 - 120 Volt?
The 120 volt has house plug and different converter than the 12 Volt.
in order for the lights to work with 12V you have to bypass the converter. In other words don't use it (the BLACK box not the white) It is there to convert 120 to 12 volt.
You cut the wires coming OUT of the converter, strip them, and connect them to the fuse box directly (5A fuse) .
Make sure you get the polarity right.
If you connect them in reverse, the lights will not play.

The white box is the controller for the lights, it has to be fed 12V current.

.[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I am using the white control box to the DC connectors to the alligator clips.[/font][/size]. Each component reads 12v as added so current is working.

Attachments

• images-1.jpg
    images-1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 2
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 5
Those are the rgb LED strips they only work with a converter box due to it being capable of changing colors. The ones that work directly from 12 volt without a converter box are the single colors which is what I been using.

1 supernight warm.jpg

Attachments

• 1 supernight warm.jpg
    1 supernight warm.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 4
I am using the converter box but still no light.  I don't understand why I am getting a 12v reading from my altimeter but no light.

So they stopped working with the converter box?

"but do work if I connect them to my wall outlet using the DC converter"

altimeter?

Highdesertranger

Dragonfly 1363 said:
I am using the converter box but still no light.  I don't understand why I am getting a 12v reading from my altimeter but no light.
The white box has to be fed 12 Volt.
If your "altimeter" shows power, then hit the "ON" button on the remote.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Sorry highdesertstranger.  I see that in my frustrations I am talking circles.  12v battery to alligator clips with fuse to IR control box to light strip.  What am I missing?[/font]