Vevor diesel heaters at Home Depot … recommendations / suggestions?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calypso

Reaction score
Just noticed I can get one through Home Depot.
There are several types. I’m looking for a 16’ cargo step van and not sure which is the best model. I do kinda like the idea of a portable one, but not sure that’s the best for a van build.
Any thoughts? I feel a bit better being able to buy them through Home Depot vs. a rando on Amazon.

Can’t delete prior post … so ..
Well … the question answered itself as there is only one model that can be shipped to Alaska, even for store pick-up.
So I’ll go with that. It’s the all in one model. I can use it while building (it’s still in the 20’s) and can move around until I’ve figured out all the other systems and get the master plan buttoned down. I’ll try it out for a bit and see if it’s really the way I want to go without having to pay $3200 for a espar and end up it not being for me. I’m sort of in the “let’s not make things permanent just yet” mode. All about being flexible for me. 🤗

which one is it? I'm surprised to see that HD sells these, and how inexpensive they are.

The all in one models are not portable.... large holes have to be drilled in the floor for the intake and exhaust to vent them outside.

Last edited:
My daughter has a 5kw Vevor all in one heater in her greenhouse. It's been heavily used since late summer with no problems. The remote control was missing from the box so Vevor gave her a 25% refund on the heater so she could buy one off eBay.

I understand the BTU ratings but what does the 5kw refer to?

How much power it draws?

Running it non-stop all night uses less electricity then having it cycle on and off a few times. The glow plug warming up uses the most electricity. Saying that you might be too hot running a 5kw on low rather then a 2kw on medium/low. I bought a 2kw for my van and I’m very happy with it. At night with 20 degree temps I’m toasty with the heater on medium.

I also upgraded my fuel line to the hard sided plastic line. You can find the line sold separately on Amazon for about $20.

Nice. So the smallest Vevor should work fine on my reg. length, mid-high top Econoline conversion.

Nice. So the smallest Vevor should work fine on my reg. length, mid-high top Econoline conversion.
Yes, the 2kw one. My research found a lot of people recommended the 2 kw for the van. I’m very happy with the to 2kw unit. Another tip I read was running the heater on high for 10 minutes or so before you turn it off. Helps burn off any soot that might have developed while running it on low all night. I run mine on low a lot because it’s so toasty in the van. The heater is truly a game changer for cold weather living.

The click sound from the pump sounds like a grandfather clock. Some people find it annoying but to me that sound means warmth!

The click sound from the pump sounds like a grandfather clock. Some people find it annoying but to me that sound means warmth!
Would a small fan for putting out white noise cancel that sound?

Or maybe an electronic sound generator.

So I’ll go with that. It’s the all in one model. I can use it while building (it’s still in the 20’s) and can move around until I’ve figured out all the other systems and get the master plan buttoned down.
I like your idea. How are you going to vent the heater while you're in the flexibility stage?

Wrapping the pump with a piece of terrycloth towell will quiet it noticably.

I also enjoy the sound of the fuel pump. And I always wondered about these "temporary mobile heaters". You still need to run air intake and exhaust pipes. Maybe you can install some bulkhead fitting with some sort of quick disconnect? It almost seems like these are just an all in one unit that still gets permanently mounted.

which one is it? I'm surprised to see that HD sells these, and how inexpensive they are.
They just popped up on my Home Depor app … the brand is Vevor, I think. There are lots of models is the two different “styles”. I think the ones labeled portable just means that it’s all contained in a box with a handle. So the fuel tank is in it as well, not something that’s separate.
They range from $130-$200.

The all in one models are not portable.... large holes have to be drilled in the floor for the intake and exhaust to vent them outside.
I think they mean it’s all in one for the housing. One doesn’t have to drill holes necessarily if it’s not going to be permanent. It’s self contained so can be picked up and moved easily from one location to another. These are used for things other than van conversions.
Here people use “portable” heaters much more as they move from boat to cabin to plane to hunting camp or spring fish camp to yurt or … anywhere, haha. My dad had an old heater like this we’d use in a big tent around our single engine plane to thaw it from -45 degree weather out in the bush or up north. One can just put the hoses out a window or cracked door or whatever else. So I think it’s more the “suitcase” idea. Easy to pack away and not have multiple component. It‘s just the housing, it can be taken out and mounted like a regular one.

I plan on using it while building in the cold. Just have the intake exhaust run out the side door. I can pack it up and put in my jeep when I leave the worksite so it doesn’t get stolen. maybe I’m totally wrong but I can’t see why this type ca t be used like the others I’m used to.

I wouldn’t drive down the Alcan with it bouncing about lol.. I’d definitely bolt it down. 🤗. Idk maybe I’m an idiot, but I think I’ll give it a try.

Running it non-stop all night uses less electricity then having it cycle on and off a few times. The glow plug warming up uses the most electricity. Saying that you might be too hot running a 5kw on low rather then a 2kw on medium/low. I bought a 2kw for my van and I’m very happy with it. At night with 20 degree temps I’m toasty with the heater on medium.

I also upgraded my fuel line to the hard sided plastic line. You can find the line sold separately on Amazon for about $20.
I did t realize that about running it consistently vs on/off … but makes sense now that I read it. I like sleeping with it fairly cool so I’ll have to take that into consideration. Thank you