Verizon resumes offering unlimited data plans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Verizon told me 10g usage on the phone and another 10g on the Jetpack but only the phone counted regarding being hooked up to wifi. I was also told it's slowed down to 3g not 2g but so far I'm doing okay streaming Sling and local news. I didn't get the JetPack. Need a new van first.

I switched to the new unlimited plan as soon as it became available. I was already paying for 12gb of data a month for around 160 a month, so I figured the unlimited plan is cheaper and I get more data, even if it is de-prioritized after 22gb and 10gb for tethering. So I decided to see how much speed I lost while being de-prioritized, which meant using a lot of data.
As of today I have used a total of 42.9gb of data
30.1gb of data was used for tethering(via USB)
and the remaining 12.8 was used on mobile.
Now this is the most mobile data I have ever used, and I gotta say I haven't noticed any speed reductions. I know the only limit I have broke is for tethering but that hasn't slowed down either.
So far I'm very happy with their unlimited plan.

pmekdahl01 said:
I switched to the new unlimited plan as soon as it became available. I was already paying for 12gb of data a month for around 160 a month, so I figured the unlimited plan is cheaper and I get more data, even if it is de-prioritized after 22gb and 10gb for tethering. So I decided to see how much speed I lost while being de-prioritized, which meant using a lot of data.
Now this is the most mobile data I have ever used, and I gotta say I haven't noticed any speed reductions. I know the only limit I have broke is for tethering but that hasn't slowed down either.

Are you go by to get a special extra bill for all that extra tethering cost? You had a limit of 10gb tethering. But no mention of what happens if you go over that amount on tethering for any account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goshawk said:
You had a limit of 10gb tethering. But no mention of what happens if you go over that amount on tethering for any account.

No, on the unlimited plan after 10gb of teathering you get slowed to "3g" speeds. This has not actually been implemented yet (In some places?) from what I have heard. I expect the priority will be to enforce it first on busy towers.

blars said:
No, on the unlimited plan after 10gb of teathering you get slowed to "3g" speeds. This has not actually been implemented yet (In some places?) from what I have heard. I expect the priority will be to enforce it first on busy towers.

That's great too know now about the tethering. Can handle 3G tethering if I am aggressive about which applications are running.

Went to a thrift store this morning just to look around. I was just about to leave when I stopped at the front counter to look at the pocket knives when I noticed something on the bottom shelf that caught my eye. There were two Jet Packs, one MiFi, and another one that I can't remember.
While talking to the girl behind the counter, she mentioned she thought they were a bit over priced, so make an offer.
I offered $10. and came home with one of the 4 gig Verizon Jet Packs.  It's charging when I took this photo with my cell phone. :)
standard.jpg

That's 4G jet pack. It works on Verizon and can be used to get 3G service with some vendors.

Goshawk said:
That's 4G jet pack. It works on Verizon and can be used to get 3G service with some vendors.

Yup, That's why I bought it. I'm tempted to go back and get the others they had. The one in the picture even has a sim card in it, and I thought I had it made, but after doing some more research, I think I have to buy another that's loaded with air time. At least the battery seems to be good.
Either way, I feel I got a good deal. Online they go for $69.00 and up. I saw one where they were asking $149.99. I guess they can ask whatever they want. :rolleyes:

Ballenxj said:
Went to a thrift store this morning just to look around. I was just about to leave when I stopped at the front counter to look at the pocket knives when I noticed something on the bottom shelf that caught my eye. There were two Jet Packs,
<----snip---->
I offered $10. and came home with one of the 4 gig Verizon Jet Packs.  It's charging when I took this photo with my cell phone. :)
It works! I'm using it right now. :D

Ballenxj said:
Yup, That's why I bought it. I'm tempted to go back and get the others they had. The one in the picture even has a sim card in it, and I thought I had it made, but after doing some more research, I think I have to buy another that's loaded with air time. At least the battery seems to be good.
Either way, I feel I got a good deal. Online they go for $69.00 and up. I saw one where they were asking $149.99. I guess they can ask whatever they want. :rolleyes:

There are at least two companies that will load up a 3G only account profile remotely into that device. You just need the set up a temp profile in your win10 so they can remotely access and upload the profile settings. You get a 3G Verizon account that is data only at $5 a month. Mine is still working except I spent $70 original about a year ago. So far so good.

pmekdahl01 said:

So am on Verizon iPhone 4g account via 5S 64gig device. Am definitely going to push into overuse territory. Am thinking of just canceling the ATT hard line internet that is $60 a month. Seeing what happens. How bad can it be? Maybe tether a wifi router to the phone?

Goshawk said:
So am on Verizon iPhone 4g account via 5S 64gig device. Am definitely going to push into overuse territory. Am thinking of just canceling the ATT hard line internet that is $60 a month. Seeing what happens. How bad can it be?  Maybe tether a wifi router to the phone?
I have a cable via wifi connection available, and my Verizon Jet Pack kicks its derriere five ways to Sunday. That shouldn't really happen, but it does. The MiFi Jet Pack is more reliable too. There are more times than not that I cannot even access the internet via the wifi cable set up.

I have a 24gb XXL plan and this month (that ends tonite at midnight) I had 10gb carried over from last month.  So here I am for the past 3 days binge streaming to my fire stick with Netflix and Amazon prime.  Figured I wanted to use as much as I could of that 36gb that was in my account.  Well, I got to 20gb yesterday and Verizon put me into safety mode and slowed my speed to 2g.  2 chats later and they still don't know why it kicked in too early and the general attitude of the Verizon support staff is oh well that sucks, too bad.  They don't seem to be able to take me off of safety mode so that I can stream.  They say, oh it will all reset at midnight so no problem.  I say, well what about my 15gb that I was planning to use in these past 2 days?  They say, oh well, so sad, too bad.  The 10gb that was carried over is just gone, poof... no chance to use it in safety mode.

I'm beyond irritated.  Looking into ATT and if I don't hear back from Verizon (they supposedly escalated the ticket to level 2 tech support) before tomorrow and if they don't carryover at least 6 of those 10gb previously carried over data, then I'm moving over to AT&T.  It turns out to be about the same price and while I harbor no illusions that they are a better company, I think that Verizon needs to have some consequences.

I also will give them the option of crediting my account with $90 for the 6gb that I would have used if they had not slowed my speed.  I figure they would charge me $15 per GB for additional data, so I will charge them the same for cheating me of it.

I wonder if this isn't just a scam to get me to change to their unlimited plan?  I was really thinking about it since it would have saved me about $30/month, but at the same time...with my current plan I was SUPPOSED to be able to get 36gb this month at 4g speeds and instead they hobbled my speeds to 2G (not 3G, but 2 freaking G) at 20gb.  What's to say they wouldn't do the same at 20gb on the supposedly unlimited plan?  With my current 24GB plan, I'm not limited to 10GB from my jetpack.  My jetpack is supposed to be able to use every little GB of my plan's data.  If I switch to "unlimited" I am LIMITED to 10gb from my jetpack.  So I can't see how an unlimited plan would be beneficial for me. 

I don't really expect any responses from people about this ( unless it's happened to you too?) I mainly wanted to vent and let other people know about Verizon's safety mode kicking in far too early.

Update to my last post: I finally went to verizon's facebook page and messaged them. They admitted it sucked and credited my account for $120 to make up for the data I lost. Better than I'd hoped for. Now whether it happens next month, we'll see, but I did want to share that at least they did the right thing as a company.

StarEcho said:
  Now whether it happens next month, we'll see, but I did want to share that at least they did the right thing as a company.
Good Luck. I posted a bit of a rant somewhere on these forums about one of their people losing all of my details. I have been with them since they were Alltel, roughly 95-96. Somebody just deleted it. Gone, poof. Now I owe them zero loyalty. If I switched tomorrow I would not have a guilty conscience. Especially with customer service like that. :(
They ended up offering me a month to month unlimited service which I took. I spent close to an hour on the phone with a person named Richard, who back tracked my account and found where the deletion happened, but he said he could not retrieve my info. He was upset they did that as well. Anyway, I made it clear that I want month to month because of that fiasco. I flat told him that with customer care like that, I don't feel obligated to them. If I decided to switch, I would be gone.

I have been on the "unlimited plan" since April 5. So far so good, but I only use about 6 to 8 Gig a month, max. If they cut me to 2G speed at any time, that brings me to a screeching halt. Even 3G is so slow as to be functionally useless for data.
I have streamed a few short Youtube videos, but no Netflix programs. Eventually I'll take the plunge and try that.
But if they ever throttle me, I will pay the penalty and switch companies.
I will NOT be limited on an "unlimited" plan!

Latest posts