Want unlimited tablet plan data

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malkmus

Reaction score
Half a year back I watched a video online by a lady who lives on a boat with husband and are nomadic on land at times. I don’t remember their YT channel name but that’s what they do for a living they just talk about cell plans, best deals, etc.

Right now I’m using Visible for my iPhone $25 a month unlimited it has been great out west. While I could just purchase an additional Visble $25 a month plan unlimited for my tablet, prefer to have two providers (Visible for cell and other for tablet) in case one of them doesn’t have coverage in a specific area.

This is not for work so can be deprioritized. Anyone have ideas?

I've been using Visible for a year now as phone and hotspot. I also had TracFone and T-Mobile dumb phones for backup with cheap prepaid plans. TF has ended 3g service and has offered a free phone but I will pass. T-Mobile 3g ends in June so I need to switch over to a smart phone before then.

I think I will transfer my old ZTE Blade A3 that I use now with Visible to the cheapest T-Mobile plan that will just be for backup. They offer different plans if you need unlimited data.

Then I will buy a newer phone that would have more features for use on Visible. The A3 doesn't have screen mirroring for watching videos on a TV which I'd like to have.

So that would give me coverage with 2 networks for about $40/month.

Have you looked into Consumer Cellular, for example their "grandpad"? (Their main target customers are seniors, hence the cutesy name, but they're open to anyone and they have some good plans. They're my phone service provider and I <3 them.)

does your tablet have a sim card slot? if so try putting in your Visible mobile sim card in there to see if it will work then you could get another sim card data say like Cricket wireless $55 unlimited plan or better yet the $50 bucks plan without hotspot and then just use your tablet as a phone/tablet. I believe some iPhone tablets were designed to be able to support sim cards to be used as a phone as well. Not very ideal to make phone calls but point being then you would have 2 "phones" one in a phone phone the other in a tablet that runs as a phone.

Me personally I have 3 phones. (Mint, Visible, and Cricket wireless) all under 100 bucks a month. The cricket and visible phones are my two iPhone 7's and they work perfect for me. Visible gives me unlimited hotspot and cricket gives me 15G hotspot. Plus I could mirror a screen to another device that could be an option if you want to watch something on a larger screen. I also thought about getting an iPhone 7 plus with a bigger screen but I never felt the need.

Much of my entertainment I downloaded on Micro SD cards and watch them in cheap Tracfone locked devices.

I always found getting data on a tablet device to be a headache they don't list the plan prices online, they don't make it easy and I would avoid getting at tablet at all costs as a result. Yet, if you can get a tablet with a sim card slot that can be a "phone" then your well off and able to use the data right from the sim and not worry about needing a hotspot. Likely that means a mini iPad or what but I think if you can go that route you will be by far better off now and in the future.

but if you DO figure out a great solution to getting data on a table that does not include throttling or dealing with hot spot limits then please do share because that problem does not seen to have been solved so if you crack the case then do share and teach me! ;)(y)

You could try buying a tablet through your service provider, they often have several choices. I just bought one that way today as my previous tablet had reached the age where the OS was no longer being updated and many of the apps I wanted to use were no longer compatible.

Ordering tablets to go with a particular service can be tricky to find a compatible with the specific carriers specs.

On my new iPad Air My I paid $150 extra so I have the ability to have cellular service on its own if wanted. But so far just using Visible on my iphone to hotspot my iPad. Neither are very fast and when the tablet being a hotspot from the phone I get 5 Mbps or less even if my phones speed tests at 30 to 50 mbps. Must be a Visible limitation.

For months now I still do not have a cellular provider for my tablet and I would like to get one but I can’t seem to find a pin unlimited data only plan for cheap. I’m using 100 to 180 GB Per month mostly sending the videos/pics I take up in the cloud and take them down from the cloud onto my iPad. Google Maps seems to eat up about 50 GB a month from all the driving.

It just seems that I can’t find a unlimited tablet plan for cheap. Has anyone found one?

On my new iPad Air My I paid $150 extra so I have the ability to have cellular service on its own if wanted. But so far just using Visible on my iphone to hotspot my iPad. Neither are very fast and when the tablet being a hotspot from the phone I get 5 Mbps or less even if my phones speed tests at 30 to 50 mbps. Must be a Visible limitation.

For months now I still do not have a cellular provider for my tablet and I would like to get one but I can’t seem to find a pin unlimited data only plan for cheap. I’m using 100 to 180 GB Per month mostly sending the videos/pics I take up in the cloud and take them down from the cloud onto my iPad. Google Maps seems to eat up about 50 GB a month from all the driving.

It just seems that I can’t find a unlimited tablet plan for cheap. Has anyone found one?
AT&T offers a $20 Unlimited data plan. Take your iPad in to corporate store for the best chance to get it. Not all employees know of the plan. It is a post paid, not a prepaid plan. You’ll have to submit to a credit check. You MIGHT be able to get it via chat.

I have the AT&T $20 tablet plan and it works perfect for me.

I have a $20 unlimited data plan from Verizon for my IPad, but it is linked to my phone so don’t know if that is what you are looking for.

I have found Verizon to be very reliable around the country, with some areas with poor service helped by a WeBoost for my phone.

Orlimar1 you said, “Take your iPad in to corporate store.” I’m not really sure what a corporate store is but is it different than an AT&T cellular store you see in a lot of cities?

Orlimar1 you said, “Take your iPad in to corporate store.” I’m not really sure what a corporate store is but is it different than an AT&T cellular store you see in a lot of cities?
A corporate store is owned and ram by AT&T. The non corporate stores will say “Authorized Retailer” somewhere on the outside of the building. The authorized retailers tend to know less about this plan it seems.

I just recently signed up with ATT for their “Unlimited Post Paid for Tablet” (important... it's for iPad) ... I even got the iPad doing a monthly charge of about $14/ no interest. The biggest downside is that they NOW use something they call an "eSIM"... so, you can't pull the SIM out and put it into something like a Netgear Nighthawk. The UPSIDE: .... the performance is truly stellar, the monthly charge is ~$25 and I have not experienced a cap yet. I watch HBO Max and DON'T GET BUFFERING. Everything else I've tried does. Including Visible. I know a lot of people on here love it. In MY EXPERIENCE it sucked. Performance-wise. I'm not looking to start a flame-war, it just did not work for me. The current plan I have DOES.

Just my $0.02

Pat

I just recently signed up with ATT for their “Unlimited Post Paid for Tablet” (important... it's for iPad) ... I even got the iPad doing a monthly charge of about $14/ no interest. The biggest downside is that they NOW use something they call an "eSIM"... so, you can't pull the SIM out and put it into something like a Netgear Nighthawk. The UPSIDE: .... the performance is truly stellar, the monthly charge is ~$25 and I have not experienced a cap yet. I watch HBO Max and DON'T GET BUFFERING. Everything else I've tried does. Including Visible. I know a lot of people on here love it. In MY EXPERIENCE it sucked. Performance-wise. I'm not looking to start a flame-war, it just did not work for me. The current plan I have DOES.

Just my $0.02

Pat
I would take your tablet and go to a true AT&T store. Not an authorized retailer. Tell them you have another Samsung or whatever tablet headed your way. Tell them you want to be able to switch the sim card between those 2 tablets. Make sure they give you a nano size sim card. Then you can put that sim card in a router or whatever. I do highly suggest you get something where you can make that device look like one of your tablets though. Otherwise if AT&T sees your sim card in a non tablet, they could shut your tablet line off.

I would take your tablet and go to a true AT&T store. Not an authorized retailer. Tell them you have another Samsung or whatever tablet headed your way. Tell them you want to be able to switch the sim card between those 2 tablets. Make sure they give you a nano size sim card. Then you can put that sim card in a router or whatever. I do highly suggest you get something where you can make that device look like one of your tablets though. Otherwise if AT&T sees your sim card in a non tablet, they could shut your tablet line off.
Probably would do that, and may still. I however live in a VERY SMALL town in Southern NM. Long ways from an ATT store. But, I appreciate the suggestion.
Thanks.