Verizon resumes offering unlimited data plans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is always a got ya on Verizon plans. The unlimited will limit you to 10 gb tethering only. There is a $20 per line access fee. So the real cost of this on a two cellphones is likely $80 + $40 = $120 for two lines shared and 22 gb plus 10 gb tethered. So not really unlimited, as Verizon will just claim network congestion at the 22 gb limit.

Might be better to have the $45 data on top of your account cost of $20 (will single account costs be increased?). So $65 a month?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

free photo upload

so as the picture shows above domestic ROAMING DATA will be limited to 2G speed, assuming you do not connect to a Verizon cell tower. Might or might not be an issue.  Single line may be $80 per month plus the account line access fee, which is typically $20 per phone; so grand total is $100 per month for 22gigs data (which is claimed as unlimited).  HOTSPOT/TETHERING is reduced to 3G speeds, after the first 10gigs at 4G, assuming that data congestion is activated .  Not sure how much high speed data - full access 4G tether can roll over with unlimited, but guess none rolls over?

To compare, a STRAIGHT TALK account is $55 per month total for 10gigs of data, and you can renew half way through the month, or whenever you run out, for $55 again (reset your account start -stop date).  No tethering.

NOTE - 3G and 2G data speeds are almost impossible to make any practical use with, for most any video or video based tool.

Folks, this is just a friendly reminder that many of us have limited bandwidth so we ask that you carefully trim any quotes you include to the bare minimum. When you are reading on a phone, and you have to read the same post twice to get a new comment, it can be frustrating--especially if there are pictures!

Be kind and trim!! :)

Boost and metro pcs have monthly unlimited to 28g for $60/month

With my 3G hotspot I can listen to music and surf the web just fine. We can also watch netflix\youtube most the time. 3G is slow, but I started out on a 28.8kb modem(have used slower), so 500kb+ is blazing for me...if I get a signal!

I may be wrong but I believe Verizon 2G is 64k....ick T-Mobile and AT&T 2G is 128k, fine for email, browsing and music.

On Verizon 3G I have been streaming at 480p pretty consistently. I have seen speed test as high as 3.1 mbps. The only time it is idle is like now where another device, in this case my unlimited Sprint LTE, is faster.

bardo said:
Boost and metro pcs have monthly unlimited to 28g for $60/month

Good note bardo. But supposedly no roaming with BOOST or METRO. And you need to be in a good metropolitan cell tower area with lots of cell tower choices. That's only certain city areas of the country.

jimindenver said:
I may be wrong but I believe Verizon 2G is 64k....ick T-Mobile and AT&T 2G is 128k, fine for email, browsing and music.

On Verizon 3G I have been streaming at 480p pretty consistently. I have seen speed test as high as 3.1 mbps. The only time it is idle is like now where another device, in this case my unlimited Sprint LTE, is faster.

Can echo this comment. At 6am eastern I can get on any cell tower for data and it runs nice and fast with 480p video . At 6pm it's so congested that I. An barely get a consistent connection for browsing with various pop up commercials trying to play some lame video.

Verizon apparently assumes that someone with a data only plan will never want to switch to a voice+data plan. The only way to get information on it is to tell the verizon web page you are not a customer. I think to switch I will need to cancel my data only plan and then be a new customer. That may have been needed anyway to remove my "primary" device from my data only plan, which I want to do. They charge me $0.20 per text spam (not including the ones they send).

Reading another review saying the unlimited single line is $80 per month total fee on Verizon. Two lines unlimited would be $140 per month. But would still like to see that clearly spelled out in advertising.

If you have a phone you want to trade in and it's active you can get a Sam galaxy 7 android for free from Verizon. And the unlimited plan for two years. Seems like a deal mode in heaven. Better get it this week though.

Goshawk said:
If you have a phone you want to trade in and it's active you can get a Sam galaxy 7 android for free from Verizon. And the unlimited plan for two years. Seems like a deal mode in heaven. Better get it this week though.

deal stinks.  You need to trade in a $300 phone to get a $600 phone.  plus sign up for unlimited data.  all for $85 a month plus taxes and fees.  Might work for many who have a $300 phone in their pocket.

I spent about 1/2 hour waiting and 45 minutes discussing options and getting a new phone and plan in the Verizon store today. Salescritters were not prepared for my questions that were not answered by their web page, and could only answer some of them by asking a manager.

Unlimited is $85/month for one smartphone, up to two additional jetpacks or tablets are allowed at $20/month each. $5/month credit for autopay. Multiple smartphones is $100 plus $20/device with autopay. The LG K8 V phone I chose is $6/month for 24 months. For now, I kept my jetpack active and deactivated my 3g usb stick. $30 one-time activation fee. So it is $106/month (plus taxes/fees) rather than the $80/month I was paying for 6gb/month (two devices) with $15/gig overage. Now it will just slow with over 10gb/month on the jetpack or teathered to the phone.

The slowing to 2g speeds on domestic roaming was news to the salescritters, despite being the the fine print of the handout they gave me. They have no clue where this will happen, and have no coverage map that shows this.

Free Canada/Mexico roaming slows to 2g after 500Mb/day.

They didn't know which phones can hook to a monitor via HDMI, but could look it up on each one slowly. The only one they found was $28/month, but they did not check them all.

I kept the jetpack active based on the salescritter recommendation that significant hotspot use would wear out the phone (battery and screen) quickly. Thinking about this some more, I may deactivate the jetpack as it would be cheaper to replace the phone every year if needed.

Verizon offers us both prepaid visa cards if I "refer" you. Let me know your email address via PM if you want a referal.

blars said:
Verizon offers us both prepaid visa cards if I "refer" you. Let me know your email address via PM if you want a referal.

How much does Verizon give you, if I signed up via you referring me?

Think I am sticking to my iPhone 5S with 10gb per month for $55 flat fee on Verizon's cell towers via straight talk. At least for now. The phone cost $150 via eBay.

If I went on BYOP to Verizon they would charge $30 activation and $85 monthly for 22gb data plus 10gb tether. Just don't need that yet.

Ballenxj said:
So after the third month, you have made $100.?

No, I get $25 each for the first two referrals (after they sign up and pay), $50 for the third, nothing for more. Next month, the counting starts over. It's a one-time thing for each referral. Maximum $100/month for doing referrals.

Blare: Does the Jetpack count toward your tethering limits? I would think NOT b/c it creates a WIFI connection. On my devices, the tethering icon is different than the WIFI icon, so I'm assuming/hoping that Verizon will see them differently.

Latest posts