Verizon has acquired Millenicom customers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
Damn.

I got this email:

We are announcing the acquisition by Verizon of the Millenicom customers who use their service. There should be no interruption with your Internet connection, they will be in contact with you regarding plan options.

Please accept our most sincere appreciation for the opportunity to be your Internet provider.

Dennis Castle
Owner
Millenicom Inc.

Farewell decent travelling internet... I was actually thinking about doing this when I hit the road; but no longer can I...

Right now Verizon has a better deal. $130 a month for 30 gigs and unlimited talk and text on a smartphone.

If you take the $90 for 20 gigs that millenicom costs and increase it by half to 30 gigs it would cost $135. But with the Verizon plan you also get unlimted talk and text on a smartphone. You can get a iPhone 4c for $1 and use it as a wifi hotspot to your laptop just like the MIFI but you also have a smartphone.

How much did the device for Millenicom cost? Isn't over $200 to set up your account initially?

This is a far better deal.
Bob

But is that for tethering as well? Usually you get throttled or charged over 5GB with Verizon's plans. with millenicom, you got 20GB or tethering data. Quite a big difference between tethering and smartphone data.

If it IS tethering data, and you can use all 30GB say on a computer, then that is a pretty awesome plan... That i still won't be getting. I just can't support a company so immorally bent on greed and power. I know it's a company norm these days, but I like the lesser devils.

I'm still plodding along with Straight Talk phone and mobile Wifi. Not perfect but adequate and oh, so much cheaper! And, unlike with the big V, I know what my charges will be every month. Verizon adds on so many fees and surcharges that the bill scarcely resembles the advertized rate.

No contract plans mean no collection calls....late fees....or being under the thumb of greedy corporate manipulators !!

Boost mobile works fine with tethering and alot of free wifi thrown in.....and if Im late there is no fee while I try to catch up!!!!......

Then why is my VZ stock still stumbling. That's what I want to know. I have had wonky internet for days. I can get on this site pretty easily, off and on. But I can't get onto my research sites. I time out. I might as well be on the moon.

Boost mobile runs on Sprint, same as Virgin. It's a great deal if you're in their coverage area but many of us aren't. Verizon's coverage is far superior.

I had a bad experience with them once, though, and paid an early termination fee just to get away. I hate long term contracts because my needs change - will I still need 20gig of data in remote locations 2 years from now? Maybe I'll only need a cheap phone plan.

I find that most of the areas that dont have mobile internet dont really have much else either.......there is a reason the population is not in those places.......

that being said.....AT&t has a decent prepaid plan that will have to offer more to be competitive......boost mobile is on sprint, and sprint is just like the others and expanding

there is really no good mobile internet....att is getting better reception at the moment because everyone flooded Verizon.......this is the month of specials so do your homework

jeanontheroad said:
Then why is my VZ stock still stumbling. That's what I want to know. I have had wonky internet for days. I can get on this site pretty easily, off and on. But I can't get onto my research sites. I time out. I might as well be on the moon.

Real stock? Well that may have nothing to do with the acquisition, and in fact may be slowing down due to the purchase. But they have negative public interest right now and that's making people upset. Investor's see this as a potential loss for Verizon and begin to sell their stocks.

I don't believe any of the big companies will ever throttle you if you buy a set amount data plan. If you pay for 10 (Put in your number) gigs, you get all 10 at full speed. Whatever you buy, is yours.

I think most of the unlimited data plans will throttle you. I've been told that Straight Talk throttles you after 2-5 gigs. But it's so cheap that it's still a good deal if you can live with that little data.

I guess I must be the lucky exception I have had zero problems or complaints with Verizon and I've been with them for 7 years.

One thing I've noticed is I am often at the outer edges of service and my signal is surpisingly affected by time of day and weather.
Bob

Yes, kyonu, real stock, as in I'm down over $200 when I expected the purchase of Millenicom to send it in the other direction. I'm not be a big investor. I'm not going to sell now. But I don't like losing money, even it's only on paper.

I've seen all sorts of chatter on the finance forums. The main communications stock is perplexed, too. Oh, well, that's how it goes. At least the dividends are still coming. The stock will eventually catch up with itself. It was expected that some Millenicom users would just switch to a more economical company, like TMobile. They've been expanding their capacity like crazy in the east. But a lot of people out west don't have that option if they want reliable coverage. Not sure, not sure.

I've gotten 4 and 5 bar Verizon signals but still had slow response because of so many people in the area causing heavy cell traffic. That usually happens in more populated areas, of course, which is ironic. I can get faster response in the boonies, where coverage is more sparse, because there's almost no one else trying to use it.

In town right now, sitting in the Walmart parking lot where I have some internet. Otherwise, I have to trudge to the Lodge, which I really don't like, or schlep my computer and hotspot up a hill near the campground and sit on a dirt road dodging cars - which I did this morning with the dog. I am WAY too addicted to the market.

akrvbob said:
I don't believe any of the big companies will ever throttle you if you buy a set amount data plan. If you pay for 10 (Put in your number) gigs, you get all 10 at full speed. Whatever you buy, is yours.

I think most of the unlimited data plans will throttle you. I've been told that Straight Talk throttles you after 2-5 gigs. But it's so cheap that it's still a good deal if you can live with that little data.

I guess I must be the lucky exception I have had zero problems or complaints with Verizon and I've been with them for 7 years.

One thing I've noticed is I am often at the outer edges of service and my signal is surpisingly affected by time of day and weather.
Bob

On the phone you are correct, but tethering is a whole different ballgame. They throttle tethering after 5GB (with ATT) regardless of how much you purchased. Hell, even Tmobile throttles your tethering on any plan--this publically known.

ATT and Verizon both throttle older unlimited plans for sure; but they won't throttle prepaid GB like you said, just the tethering part.

I tether thru my iPad Mini *ALL* the time, and never have problems, extra charges, etc. Other providers do charge or have special restrictions for tethering, but Verizon doesn't near as I can tell, certainly not in my experience. I'm told this is because of a lawsuit that Verizon lost but I don't know how true that is. I just know I don't have any problems tethering on Verizon, it's just there, it just works, and it doesn't cost anything extra.

how do you do the tethering? Most people on Verizon that I know that tether use FoxFi app on android or iphone because they cannot tether more than 2.5GB or 5GB.

It's hard as hell finding this information online (since Verizon doesn't like to tell you, on purpose), so it's hard to find a credible source. They refuse to tell you on the website, and I went all the way to finishing a checkout before cancelling.

Does anyone know of any other mifi plans comparable to Millenicom's? I found their mifi device useful because it allowed users to connect multiple devices at once, and I'd prefer that over tethering from my smartphone.

Everybody offers a plan a MIFI that works exactly the same way. It just costs more and requires a contract.

With Verizon you can get the mifi for free and 10 gigs for $80 a month.
Bob