Verizon 6620L Remote Flash 4g/3g

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7wanders

Reaction score
I've been following the other thread of those purchasing units that have been configured and flashed prior to purchase.

I have a 6620L unit purchased used from eBay and would like to get a remote flash for either 3g or 4g running on horizon. my unit does not have a sim card in it but powers up and looks functional. 

my understanding is there are currently two vendors providing remote flash services for 4g: DrWireless and missjg37601. I did leave two messages with DrWireless and have sort of given up on him due to lack of response. I'm currently trying to get concat info for [size=small]missjg37601. from what I understand this service costs about $175 for 4g and about $20-$40 for 3g.[/size]

[size=small]My Questions:[/size]
  • do I need to purchase a sim card from best buy or another store prior to a remote flash service?
  • does a new sim card need to be activated with verizon prior to the flash, or is that done during the flash process, or after the flash process by buying the $5 credit from canada?
  • does the remote flash involve use of a computer with internet on my end? if so, can it be done with a MacBook?
  • what is the process involved in a remote flash service? I can't seem to find anything online about it and can't reach the two vendors above to ask
Thanks in advance for answering the above!

7wanders said:
I've been following the other thread of those purchasing units that have been configured and flashed prior to purchase.

I have a 6620L unit purchased used from eBay and would like to get a remote flash for either 3g or 4g running on horizon. my unit does not have a sim card in it but powers up and looks functional. 

my understanding is there are currently two vendors providing remote flash services for 4g: DrWireless and missjg37601. I did leave two messages with DrWireless and have sort of given up on him due to lack of response. I'm currently trying to get concat info for [size=small]missjg37601. from what I understand this service costs about $175 for 4g and about $20-$40 for 3g.[/size]

[size=small]My Questions:[/size]
  • do I need to purchase a sim card from best buy or another store prior to a remote flash service?
  • does a new sim card need to be activated with verizon prior to the flash, or is that done during the flash process, or after the flash process by buying the $5 credit from canada?
  • does the remote flash involve use of a computer with internet on my end? if so, can it be done with a MacBook?
  • what is the process involved in a remote flash service? I can't seem to find anything online about it and can't reach the two vendors above to ask
Thanks in advance for answering the above!
Hi 7wanders,
I sent you a PM with missjg37601 contact info.
- You will need a new Verizon SIM card but DO NOT contact Verizon to activate it, just install it in your MiFi...probably easiest to get at Best Buy they cost $10 - here is what I used:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/verizon-sim-card-kit/6234525.p?skuId=6234525[/SIZE]
- You don't buy $5 refill from Canada - some earlier versions of these "flashed" devices had an IP that was Canadian (now it is a Texas USA IP), but you will refill using the $5 prepaid refill. This is most easily done by using a refill service called CallingMart. Highly recommend you using the CallingMart method as it is by far the easiest way to refill, and can now be set up to automatically refill every month. JimInDenver did a youtube video on his channel about this.
- Yes it uses a computer. You'll need to install a "screen sharing" program (free)...[size=small]missjg37601 had me install UltraViewer, and I know another forum member said they used TeamViewer (very similar program)...but you'll need a remote access program for [size=small]missjg37601 to actually program the MiFi, which you'll have connected to your computer via its USB cable.
[/size]
[size=small][size=small][size=small]- missjg37601 will install a couple of small programs (USB redirector and Hamachi VPN) that allows him to connect to and program the MiFi (which again, is connected to your computer via USB), over the internet[/size][/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small][size=small]- I *think* it will work with Mac, but [size=small]missjg37601 will have to verify that with you...I used Windows[/size][/size][/size][/size]

- Also, in case the remote flashing isn't doable for some reason, you could always mail the device to missjg37601 and have it flashed and sent back to you. It only takes a couple of days each way in the mail so if you don't have access to a computer or reliable internet it's another option - I just wanted to make sure you were aware of.

Hope this helps. missjg37601 did a great job for me, and has been improving the service continually, such as fixing the access to the most popular services that weren't initially[size=small] accessible like Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Netflix, Groupon...[/size]
Communication and service have both been really excellent with this vendor.

ChrisFix said:
Hi 7wanders,
- You will need a new Verizon SIM card but DO NOT contact Verizon to activate it, just install it in your MiFi...probably easiest to get at Best Buy they cost $10 - here is what I used:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/verizon-sim-card-kit/6234525.p?skuId=6234525[/SIZE]
- You don't buy $5 refill from Canada - some earlier versions of these "flashed" devices had an IP that was Canadian (now it is a Texas USA IP), but you will refill using the $5 prepaid refill. This is most easily done by using a refill service called CallingMart. Highly recommend you using the CallingMart method as it is by far the easiest way to refill, and can now be set up to automatically refill every month. JimInDenver did a youtube video on his channel about this.
- Yes it uses a computer. You'll need to install a "screen sharing" program (free)...[size=small]missjg37601 had me install UltraViewer, and I know another forum member said they used TeamViewer (very similar program)...but you'll need a remote access program for [size=small]missjg37601 to actually program the MiFi, which you'll have connected to your computer via its USB cable.
[/size]
[size=small][size=small][size=small]- missjg37601 will install a couple of small programs (USB redirector and Hamachi VPN) that allows him to connect to and program the MiFi (which again, is connected to your computer via USB), over the internet[/size][/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small][size=small]- I *think* it will work with Mac, but [size=small]missjg37601 will have to verify that with you...I used Windows[/size][/size][/size][/size]

- Also, in case the remote flashing isn't doable for some reason, you could always mail the device to missjg37601 and have it flashed and sent back to you. It only takes a couple of days each way in the mail so if you don't have access to a computer or reliable internet it's another option - I just wanted to make sure you were aware of.

Hope this helps. missjg37601 did a great job for me, and has been improving the service continually, such as fixing the access to the most popular services that weren't initially[size=small] accessible like Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Netflix, Groupon...[/size]

thanks so much for the quick response and the answers to all my questions. much appreciated!

ChrisFix said:
Hi Chris,
I am in the same boat so to speak. My wifi went out and when I searched to buy a new one I was surprised that they had all but disappeared. I was wondering if you could send me her contact info. I contacted her on ebay but she basically said she couldnt communicate through ebay because of polocies. Thank you much in adavance.

Hi 7wanders,

[/size]

7wanders is asking all the right questions and ChrisFix has all the answers.

I've been hunting on the internet for a topic like this and this website of all things seems to have what I'm looking for.
I am also interested in flashing my 6620L and since they aren't available on ebay (supposedly because of a crackdown), I wish to have mine serviced for flashing.

ChrisFix, could you provide me with missjg37601 contact info as well please? I wish to mail-in my mifi device.

If this idea works reliably, I have some ideas I think are pretty neat if at all practical.
Is it possible to flash 4g usb modems with the $5 a month unlimited plan?
I'm thinking about putting a usb modem onto a router loaded with ROOter (allows routers to use usb modems) to make a sufficiently fast network.
Is it possible to combine multiple mifi's and "bond" them together in order to double/triple internet speeds?
I'm thinking of combining multiple mifi's/modems onto a load-balancing router to make a much faster network.

Thanks ahead of time for any response!

Is it possible to combine multiple mifi's and "bond" them together in order to double/triple internet speeds?
_------------------------

I looked into this a few years ago. For bonding to take place both ends have to support it. I doubt you'll get Verizon to do this for any mifi device, much less for the $5 a month version. I was wanting to do it with DSL lines.

Things may have changed but I doubt it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I am also looking for missjg's contact info if anyone has it.
I had a very nice experience with a 6620l I bought from him/her over a year ago but it has recently stopped working.
Can anyone pm me with missjg's contact?

Happy camping!

Just a followup on this thread...

I did contact missjg (with the help of Chris) and arranged for a remote flash of my used eBay 6620L. the flash was done remotely with software via a windows computer hooked to the 6620L with a USB cable. the whole process took about 30 minutes and went very smoothly. I had a very good experience with MissJG and made my payment via PayPal about half way through the install process. for those interested, I made a video of my experience and posted it to my youtube channel here:

Would someone be so kind as to share the contact info for missjg? I too used Dr. Wireless and communication has been a total mess. I'd love to get up and running again or find an alternative. Thank you!!

Can someone be so kindly and let me know how to contact missjg. My device stopped working yesterday and the num I have for him is disconnected,

They've all disappeared, those deals don't work anymore

This forum has banned discussion any helping wrt these flashed devices.

if within refund window get your claim in.

I guess they all disappeared I had a phone num but its disconnected. Sent several emails with no luck. I guess they just took our money.

Not under their control, VZW was bound to catch up with them eventually.

Hi everyone,

Although I was in the claim window from Paypal, my claim was denied by them. I sent them the ebay listing showing the price of the item and that it included $5 a month service. Not working and service not refillable. I do not think missjg and the like should be able to keep the money they charged. If anyone else was duped and has email, address, phone number for missjg and would like to join up on small claims or some other sort of legal action such as contacting their local attorney general and/or getting their information to verizon I am up for it just PM me.

Thanks!

Push from eBay first, separate companies now.

I think getting enough plaintiffs together to make it worth a lawyer's time will be difficult.

Ogreenrhyno said:
Hi everyone,

Although I was in the claim window from Paypal, my claim was denied by them. I sent them the ebay listing showing the price of the item and that it included $5 a month service. Not working and service not refillable. I do not think missjg and the like should be able to keep the money they charged. If anyone else was duped and has email, address, phone number for missjg and would like to join up on small claims or some other sort of legal action such as contacting their local attorney general and/or getting their information to verizon I am up for it just PM me.

Thanks!

So you want to get in front of a judge and ask him for restitution on an illegal means to steal service from Verizon?  That’s like calling the cops because your drug dealer shorted you product.  Good luck with that.

kerrianne said:
Would someone be so kind as to share the contact info for missjg? I too used Dr. Wireless and communication has been a total mess. I'd love to get up and running again or find an alternative. Thank you!!

There is no contact info for missjg...he has left the building (along with Dr. Wireless and the others).

Orlimar1 said:
So you want to get in front of a judge and ask him for restitution on an illegal means to steal service from Verizon?  That’s like calling the cops because your drug dealer shorted you product.  Good luck with that.

This was sold on ebay as a $5 a month service with a large upfront fee. Not sure how your analogy holds. You buy a lot of drugs on ebay? It wasn't advertised as "hey I'm ripping off verizon". But yeah probably not a lot can be done.

(Sorry for the double post, didn't realize I didn't have the quotes in the first one.)

greenrhyno said:
This was sold on ebay as a $5 a month service with a large upfront fee. Not sure how your analogy holds. You buy a lot of drugs on ebay? It wasn't advertised as "hey I'm ripping off verizon". But yeah probably not a lot can be done.

(Sorry for the double post, didn't realize I didn't have the quotes in the first one.)

A suit, individual or class action, would be difficult and expensive for three reasons:

1. You have to find missjg to serve papers.
  2. You have to get a judgment against him/her.  I don't think this is a slam-dunk.
  3. You have to collect on the judgement. He/she probably doesn't have many assets you could seize.