Verizon MVNOs for $5 3G refugees

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just FYI that a $20 TRAVEL ROUTER will bypass any limitation for connected devices. Per VISIBLE or others that try to limit your number of connections to a hotspot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but you'll lose half the speed if connecting the travel router to the hotspot via wifi (such as tethering VISIBLE iPhone).

ChrisFix said:
True, but you'll lose half the speed if connecting the travel router to the hotspot via wifi (such as tethering VISIBLE iPhone).

You share the speed. Unless you are saying duplex versus simplex and that a travel router does a pure 50/50 split ?

Goshawk said:
You share the speed. Unless you are saying duplex versus simplex and that a travel router does a pure 50/50 split ?

Connecting to a travel router by wifi tethering from a phone is effectively using a wifi repeater, which generally cuts bandwidth in half...
I use a travel router a lot (TP Link N300 https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wire...&qid=1532660358&sr=1-3&keywords=travel+router
and can guarantee that it cuts the bandwidth/speed by half...which can be problematic if the speed is already slow from the source wifi (or tethered phone for purposes of this discussion)
This is what I'm talking about:

It cuts the bandwidth of the wifi in half - which is still leaves a heck of a lot more than the 5mbps that visible restricts their data to.

alternative to disconnected 3G $5
i saw on YT said for ATT- Verizon- Tmobile- PHONES that have unlimited data-- can swap that SIM into a MiFi and it should work thinking it is in the phone and give me unlimited data??? i wonder? maybe i will try with my phone's SIM and my old 3G $5 Jetpack

VZW mifis are technically incompatible with any other provider.

Some interop between ATT TMO and generic overseas GSM.

But in US market if you want best reception / bandwidth, buy that ISP's hardware or do the research on frequency bands.

Code:
https://tello.com

tello is neither unlimited lte speeds nor pricey. tello is a sprint mvno

it does offer unlimited amount of data limited to 2g speeds on lte AFTER using your lte bucket.  This is actively throttled to 64kbps.  that is masochism slow

this would work for POP3 email where everyone concerned recognizes

• email is NOT ftp
  • email is not rich text
  • email is not an HTML document
email is a text communication protocol like xmpp or sms.

moar said:
Code:
https://tello.com

tello is neither unlimited lte speeds nor pricey. tello is a sprint mvno

it does offer unlimited amount of data limited to 2g speeds on lte AFTER using your lte bucket.  This is actively throttled to 64kbps.  that is masochism slow

this would work for POP3 email where everyone concerned recognizes

• email is NOT ftp
  • email is not rich text
  • email is not an HTML document
email is a text communication protocol like xmpp or sms.

90% of email is everything you say NOT to. Text 160 characters is the only true SMP it seems, ave that is getting polluted with MMP.

C-Cat said:
Cool, thanks for chiming in! :) Could you tell us more about the set up procedure? And what is your experience past 25gig (if you have used that much, of course) - is it ~70kbps? And is this plan / device able to also utilize the 3g network if no LTE is available?

We've heard numerous reports of the plan being difficult to setup - particularly if you already have a Verizon postpaid account. Hopefully they've smoothed it out by now.

For a penny, you get Verizon's latest hotspot device - the 7730L (which does require a 2-year contract on this plan, on top of needing a 2 year FMCA membership). The device does indeed support their 3G network. However usage on 3G will count against your high speed cap.

Based on feedback we've gotten from multiple folks who have the plan, the speed are pretty much unusable the moment you hit 25GB.
- Cherie

I'm an FMCA member and have their Verizon plan. It's a tough plan to get working, but now I'm well pleased with it.

About $50 a month for 25GB of data, which is a cheap $2 per GB.

I had to make two trips to the corporate Verizon store to prove my identity, show my FMCA membership card, get account set up there, and call Verizon to get the plan changed from $90 a month to $49 a month.

No pain... no gain.

Any and all post about the buying, selling, repairing of the hotspots will be deleted as they have been deemed inappropriate.

Riverman said:
I'm an FMCA member and have their Verizon plan. It's a tough plan to get working, but now I'm well pleased with it.

About $50 a month for 25GB of data, which is a cheap $2 per GB.

I had to make two trips to the corporate Verizon store to prove my identity, show my FMCA membership card, get account set up there, and call Verizon to get the plan changed from $90 a month to $49 a month.

No pain... no gain.

So it’s $99 total per month? $49 + $50? Fmca

Goshawk said:
So it’s $99 total per month?  $49 + $50?  Fmca

The FMCA fee is an annual fee and for new members it's now $60 per year... I know for renewals they offer a discount if you pay for 2 years upfront, but it's just $10 off I think and I don't know if brand new members have that option. So the upfront cost is $120 and the monthly cost then would be $49... if you would calculate the annual cost of the FMCA membership into the monthly cost, the deal would come out to $54 per month. More info on Technomadia's RV Internet site with a detailed look at the pro's & con's: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/fmca-verizon-unlimited-data-plan/ (in the article they're also pointing out that there maybe some additional taxes that can vary depending on your residence address.

Doesn’t the Walmart straight talk use Verizon towers? If they do it is 45 bucks unlimited but you can’t open a mobile hotspot. I forget but I believe they do . And yes it got off topic fast

sonofabumble said:
Hmmmm, didn't realize it included unlimited data and hotspot... 5mbps is more than enough for me. I might switch everyone from the Beyond Unlimited to Visible.

Yeah, seems like a really good deal to get unlimited Verizon... 5mbps is totally ok if it's otherwise unlimited. The only problem that I personally have is that I don't have an iPhone and it seems that the oldest / cheapest that will work with this service is still over 100 USD, even used on ebay... also, you would probably want to get a slightly newer model if you want to be sure it lasts a while... so there's an initial investment.

Latest posts