ventilation / useless stuff

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John61CT, I don't disagree but I'm coming at it from a power and size standpoint. A high cfm fan is most likely going to be wired into the vehicle and most likely won't be a standalone. Even if it isn't using vehicle electric, it's got to get power somewhere and it's gonna be a not insubstantial draw on its source.
If it's only run when the vehicle is running the draw will be negated by the alternator but then why not just crack open the windows and run the blower or smaller fan.
I'll have to check the op' s post when I'm done writing this but I believe they said they were in a van. It doesn't take much to exchange the inside air for fresh outside air in a space that small.
I don't have experience with RVs and I'm sure the larger area and the fact that some are seperate cab and living space will have more necessity for a vented fan system.
If it's the type of van that only has windows in front it may be that all that's necessary is putting some hinged windows in the back and side doors. In that situation the fan I mentioned gets air circulating through the whole van pretty well and if there is access to outside air, even a small amount, it does a really good job of keeping it from getting musty and funky.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I'd still put a roof vent in it. The 10-speed fans draw something like .1A on lowest.

Plenty of Transit Connects with roof vents at the RTR. Usually the snorkel-type maxxfans because they lay flatter when not in use.

Honestly, speaking from experience and someone who isn't the best carpenter/mechanic in the world....Cutting a hole in the roof and installing my Fantastic Fan was probably the easiest and quickest part of building out the van. Measure twice cut once. Watch a couple of YouTube videos. Rent the tools that you might need, though if you are building your van, you would be well served buying a jigsaw with wood and metal blades along with a rechargeable drill/driver. It really IS that easy to install. You just need to get over the fear of putting a hole in a perfectly good roof. And...despite what many might say, I think a roof vent/fan (and insulation) is priority one in any van build.

> I don't have experience with RVs and I'm sure the larger area and the fact that some are seperate cab and living space will have more necessity for a vented fan system.

No, smaller living space increases the need.

Obviously depends on climate too, how tightly the space is sealed up, how often it rains or gets very hot, whether you have unvented propane burning inside etc.

But to me, that just determines what CFM is required, some forced air ventilation is essential for all nomad living spaces, not at all an option.

Some people use a few PC fans in a sheet fits, into the space from rolling down a window.

Yes of course you need electricity, but I would say that's optional for me either.

Latest posts