Ventilation Fan/Vent ThinkTank - Calling out SternWake!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too much free time I guess....

I sanded and painted the vent yesterday, and today heard some thunder. Looked on the radar and saw rain coming. So I pulled the masking tape, slapped it back together and re installed it right as the first drops fell.

I can tell it is allowing more air to pass compared to before. The black paintjob is not blocking as much light as expected.

Just for you SternWake!

Attachments

• IMG_00004781.jpg
    IMG_00004781.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_00004775.jpg
    IMG_00004775.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_00004774.jpg
    IMG_00004774.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 20
Nice. It appears the opening on the wood spacer is not quite as big as on the fan. I'd open it up a bit more, and then polyurethane it.

How much nicer is it inside with all that airflow now?

SternWake said:
Nice. It appears the opening on the wood spacer is not quite as big as on the fan. I'd open it up a bit more, and then polyurethane it.

How much nicer is it inside with all that airflow now?

I wood (punny right) however the lip on the Vetus wasn't more than about 5/8th so I left the hole a touch smaller to make sure I would have some bite for the screws. I'm not sure this is forever but it's for now. It's doing well at 12v, will get it onto 24v wiring soon. Do you think I need a second fan or do you think one will do the job? I guess I will see tomorrow now that I have the front and back partition done which I'm guessing will help keep the back with the vent far cooler. Outside, it's moving a good amount of air for sure and not having to stress and worry about rain is worth the money those damn vents cost me!

I got the second one installed and checked both with my anemometer which shows 4.4mph 360 degrees around the vent opening from the outside. I just wanted to make certain there was good flow and there seems to be so I must say I'm very pleased with them for now. They're pulling 0.15 amps each at 12v (so just under 2w) though I'm not running them at 24v yet which will clearly up the power consumption.

I finally found my old retired counter rotating pusher fan and re attached it.

I'm not sure how people can handle not having a roof exhaust. I spent 15 minutes cleaning both fans and soldering the old fan back onto the power leads, during which time I had no exhaust vent, just the intake AP182 at ~1/5th speed, and it felt like it got 10 degrees hotter inside with just a passive 4 inch hole in my roof. Once I flipped both switches firing up both fans it got chilly quick.

My 80mm 24v Jamicon fan, after 7 years of running nearly continuously, has quit. It has been exhausting my electrical cabinet for a few years, and was hideously dirty. Running on 12 volts it was so quiet and drew so little current I'd forget about it.

I ordered a Noctua NF-R8 to replace it

Sternwake, can you provide an update on your muffin fan experiments?

Phone brevity.
Ceiling fans unchanged, so far.

Am planning on industrial 3000 rpm 120mm noctua fan. Speed controlling it via pwm signal on pwm wire.  This fan has nearly 2x the static pressure rating compared compared to  ss Fm121. Should    move more air through rsstrive mushroom vent for 0.1 less amps.

My intake Ss AP182 failed.  Corrosion large factor.
Replace with slower cheaper fm181 . Caig DeOxit shield s5spray liberally on circuit board .  DDielectric grease on wire solder.

intake SS Fm121 hub glue failure. Noisy hot glue hub repair also failed. Not fixed d yet. Noisy.

Want 3k rpm industrial  noctua 120 mm fan replacement for intake. Perhaps 2. Perhaps 140 mm 3 k rpm nnoctua.  Bwahahaaaaaa. 

But not really needed though. Hot summer so far. No problem As is.

pwm speed con trol of pwm fan via 4 the wire adds complications

pwm speed control via 2 wire not great for 4 wire pwm fan.
Possibly  noisy and or wear out faster.

120 mm vitrifrigo provided fan on intake shroud still fine. Sees least use.

Screaming banshee attached to gooseneck and 2inch spring clamp.  Used in workshop. Dust and michelin man mode.  Ingested sweaty t Shirt. Snapped blade.   RIP..  tAps.

Led dimmer make fans whine when slowed.

Dont have funds for desired fan upgrades.  Want vs need.

Need new alfa wifi adapter.  Blue smoked previous.

Livin lean.  Not taking jobs i should.  Cant kiss ass.

Eff em.

"pwm speed control of pwm fan via 4 the wire adds complications"

Indeed. I haven't seen anything (in a quick search) that is capable of feeding a 4 pin with a POT. This is over my head unless there is an off the shelf solution. I'm gonna guess there isn't one... This is in reference to the Noctua Monster Industrial 140mm Beast.

I am looking for a fan that can deal with the salty, humid, East Coast air. The Industrial Noctua may be worth a shot, but I'm wondering if 3K RPM and the associated noise is worth it. I think they had a 2K RPM version, but I don't know if it was rated industrial.

I have some products bookmarked in the 5 to 13$ range to feed pwm signal to 4 th wire. Bookmarks on laptop . not phone. Most were e bay.

Pwm signal driver... google. Needs diy enclosure.

That second one can only throttle red and black power wires. Not best for 4 wire pwm fan but will slow it.

First link, not sure. You jumping on this project pronto? Been a few months since the pwm driver was fresh in My mind. I cant recall specifics of pwm driver requirement, and laptop has no connectivity ATM.

@ 3K rpm, any fan is loud. I want 3k for wind tunnel power, but i have to be able to throttle it back. Noctua fans are impressive. Thses industrial versions are more so,

Not absolutely critical yet, but I am finally getting ready to do my build. I'm trying to engineer a workable ventilation system WITHOUT a roof vent.

I will wait for your advice, whenever you have the time. I have plenty of other things to work on!

Box van, roof covered in solar, stealth project. So what I'm thinking is to build two ducts out of aluminum (I have access to good scrap and a brake), one each in opposing corner of the box for optimum air change, vented through the floor. The fans will be mounted near the ceiling.

Since a normal FantasticFan will take up too much room, I remembered your side window in your van. I think 2 of the black-hole-forming Noctuas, one pulling in one corner, one pushing out the opposite, may do a fine job. I could just as easily build it to accept 2 in each corner; not sure I'd need to. The van will be insulated to R9 all around.

How well would (2) 160cfm tandem fans work to cool your van?

BTW, I haven't forgotten about the beer I owe you. When this project is done, I'm coming out to pay in full!

If I can haul that much beer, at least :D

Beer.....good

When i have my 3 intake fans on highest speed. And my 2 inline counterratating ceiling fans on highest speed and approach my side door, not clicked fully closed, air is.spilling from door. Under pressure.
I estimate my ceiling fans can exhaust 150 cfm at best
I estimate my intake fans can push ~320 cfm max.
white van., tv top. Minimal insulation. Ventilation improvement not required in coastal san diego but i will eventually upgrade to noctuas wherever possible.

For.noise. and amp consumption id go for larger fan. The ss fm181 draws less than 0.3 amps for ~ 150cfm and comes with speed controller.

Harden them against corrosion. Caig DeOxit shield on windings circuit board and dielectric grease.

Will update pwm drivers hardware when i can

There are plans available for controllers for PWM 4-wire fans, a 555 timer IC or a 556 dual timer with about 8 or 9 discreet components is all it takes. You can get the timer chips for about 10 cents a piece, and the capacitors, resistors and diodes are even cheaper. The 10k pot might be the most expensive part.

DIY Fan Controller for PWM Fans - Overclockers

It'd be a good Sunday afternoon science project for a kid or grand-kid if that's your thing!

if I were putting vent in the floor I would make them so I could seal them 100%. I don't think they should be open while driving. also make sure to use bug screen. highdesertranger

I agree, HDR. I was a wrench for years, and am working on repairing the exhaust now. Even though I will have a door between the cab and box that I can seal, I still don't want to breathe any more exhaust than I have to. There will be other vents incorporated that will run 24/7 for a system of battery box, charge controllers, and fridge. I don't think I'll have any problems with gases building up, but I plan on doing an air change with the main ventilation system at least once a day, and it will likely run often anyway.