Ventilation (Alternative to Roof Fan)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlepperson

Reaction score
Rather than cutting into the roof to install a fan, has anyone removed the back window panels in a cargo van and installed a louvered window device to provide for increased airflow? Ideally, the louvered window would have a baffle system, that can open and close? From the inside of the van, a fan would provide for airflow. If there is not an aftermarket window(s) available, perhaps it is possible to craft something that can be removed, with mosquito netting or substitute, for overnight stealth camping. Comments?

The back window will allow exhaust gasses to enter the van. Extremely dangerous. It just takes one time stuck in slow traffic to fill the van with poison.

rlepperson said:
Rather than cutting into the roof to install a fan, has anyone removed the back window panels in a cargo van and installed a louvered window device to provide for increased airflow?  Ideally, the louvered window would have  a baffle system, that can open and close?  From the inside of the van, a fan would provide for airflow. If there is not an aftermarket window(s) available,  perhaps it is possible to craft something that can be removed, with mosquito netting or substitute, for overnight stealth camping. Comments?

Depending on the make & model, the fixed windows in a cargo van can be replaced by a window that opens from the bottom...not a true louvered window but better than a fixed window. If there's a comparable passenger van, the window sizing is the same.

I priced them out for my 2002 GMC Savana and here in Ontario they're pricey and the window glass company would sell them to me but wouldn't do the install. I'd have to have a body shop do that in addition to the price of the window kit itself. Don't ask me why... :rolleyes:

The other alternative is to replace the entire door with one which has the opening window already in it. That would work well if the door you have needs body work anyways and you can find one at the scrap yard that doesn't.

My doors didn't need much in the way of body work so for right now I'm leaving the fixed windows in place until I determine whether or not I really, really need them. BUT, I am putting in a roof vent with a max air cover on it. I'll also be making full mosquito screens for both the side door and the back door opening so that they can stay open during our bug season (anytime it's not snowing... :rolleyes: ). I have no plans for any urban stealth camping so that factors into the decisions I'm making.

I need to add that I installed a MAXAIR roof vent/fan on mine last year, we have now had some pretty stinking hot days go by in Los Angeles and I have to tell ya what a difference it made.
Sitting parked in the driveway is the worst, it would get so freaking hot in there but now on a hot day I'll open the vent, turn on the fan at it's second to lowest setting and I tell ya what, it is so much cooler. I'm actually amazed at how much.
Let me clarify that I have vent visors on my windows and the windows are lowered to there edge, vent open fan on. Works great. This wouldn't happen with just another open window in the back of the van. I know that because I used to crack open the rear doors. didn't make any difference that I could tell. 

My Grand Caravan has rear side windows that can open out from the rear about four inches. Minimal water ingress even in a storm. I commonly keep them opened for ventilation and never notice any exaust coming in.

I think the side windows are fine,but not the rear. None of the manufactures have had opening rear windows in quite some time, and the same goes for camper and motorhome manufactures. If I recall it has to do with the wind currents at the back of a boxy vehicle, not so much the exhaust location.

I think these vents are clever if you don't want to go for a roof vent. They are available through Mill Supply made of alluminium, they just push out, cut the hole caulk and pop rivet them on. They can be painted the same colour as the van so they blend in. I have mosquito netting fitted to the inside. One on each side to create a cross draft, I have a 12 volt extractor fan going out of it on one side for the stove. They open both ways to catch air from either direction.
DSCN1259 (640x480).jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1259 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1259 (640x480).jpg
    298.8 KB
I have a 3 way 12v/120v/batteries O2 Cool fan that I can sit on the ledge of a bottom opening side/rear window that works really well. Can be set for either intake or exhaust by simply flipping it around.

I usually exhaust out the back and intake from the front windows to get the whole flow through effect.

The other afternoon, I was cleaning the fan blades on my roof vent. They are just 120MM counter rotating fans pushing through a mushroom vent.

I had a side door wide open, and a back window fan on medium speed. When the fan blades were clean and I reinstalled them and cranked them up, the interior became so much more tolerable and quite quickly.

Cross flow is great. But heat rises. Sucking it out the top is the most effective method. Not the only method certainly.

This is an AC power conventional house window fan, It is put in the passenger side window of the van. To reverse fan, physically turn fan around. I do know on the high setting the fan pulls less than 400W, because of sucessful use on the permanently installed 400 watt power inverter.

The Poor Mans FANTASTIC FAN:
[insert picture slide here]

Hey Paul, good to see you back posting. I've been wondering about you since RTR. My son Ben did the exact same thing with a house fan in his pickup and survived 2 Phoenix summers when his AC quit in his truck. When you're a broke student necessity is the mother of invention.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
I have a 3 way 12v/120v/batteries O2 Cool fan that I can sit on the ledge of a bottom opening side/rear window that works really well.  Can be set for either intake or exhaust by simply flipping it around.

I usually exhaust out the back and intake from the front windows to get the whole flow through effect.

Great idea. I bought two of those same little fans that sit on the ledge of my back side windows in my T & C minivan. Bought a big one for blowing near me when I go to sleep. Am building my bed this week. Will get a chance to experiment with the intake/exhaust options soon.

The O2Cool fans are soooo quiet. Wish I could find a 12v fridge/freezer that runs like that.

I wonder if any stealth seeker has tried setting up a snorkel that sucks air from the ceiling and exhausts it below the vehicle body.

Like a drier vent and a bilge blower

https://www.amazon.com/Rule-140-Marine-Blower-3-Inch/dp/B000O8AZ8K

Control bilge blower speed/amp draw/noise with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Controller-A...1&sr=1-15&keywords=pwm+motor+speed+controller

Note withsome PWM speed controllers, frequencies like 13khz can make motor louder by whining. The linked product has 21KHZ which should only be annoying to Fido being outside the hearing range of most humans

If I were trying to stealth ventilate, I'd personally make a shroud for a 120MM computer fan to a hose, as these are quieter and generally draw less electricity, but the bilge blowers are easier to install use and are quite powerful when forcing air through a restrictive hose.