best roof fan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaLvan

Reaction score
Looking for advice on a cost-effective roof fan.  Confused by all the options.  We have a Chevy Express passenger van, so there are 4 windows in the back that tilt out just a couple of inches.  We are comparing the MaxxAir and Fantastic Fans.  I don't know that a remote is that important for us but rain cover seems like it might be.  We will have to tie the fan power it into the van battery or get a secondary battery to run the fan.  Is the draw such that tying it into vehicle battery would be okay to run it all night?  Right now we run a small fan from the cigarette lighter all night and that doesn't drain the vehicle battery.  

Also, we still have passenger van headliner in the van and know we will have to cut through that and roof of van.  We were hoping we don't have to remove the entire headliner but are unsure.  Anyone done this?

You might look up Foresty Forest because he installed then made a ton of changes to his MaxxAir roof vent in his Chevy Express.
He added a speed controller, lights and other things to improve it.

He's on YouTube if you didn't know.

Of the several roof fans I have used, or installed...for the money, I really like the Maxair MAXXFAN, four speed exhaust only.

On low speed it is barely turning, just enough to move cool air thru the sleeping space, and draws very little energy. But it will move a lot of air when you put it on high speed.

The flip-up cover is manual, and has two support arms instead of one, so you can leave it open when driving.

Also, the screen can be removed for cleaning without a screwdriver or loosing the screws.

Dittos on MaxxAir, the gold standard.  MaxxFan is my first choice.  Low profile when closed, and virtually rainproof when open.
10 speeds plus reversing.  Very low amp draw.

+3 on MaxxFan.

I have a MaxxFan Delux, 10 speed, reversible.  I have only used the fan blowing in when standing right under it, otherwise always blowing out.  Quiet on slow speeds, moves lots of air on 10.  In a small camper I don't need a remote.
MaxxFan and Fantastic Fan draw the same amps for the same fan speeds.

Here is a side by side comparison:
https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum...an-comparison-including-amp-usage/?hl=maxxfan

+4 on the MaxxAir fan

I have one for my minivan but I have not installed it yet.

You only have to remove the headliner under the square section (about 14"x14" inch) where the fan will go. Just feel under the headliner to make sure there are no ribs/support or wires in that area. The first roof vent I installed I started cutting into the roof right over a rib, I had to cover up the hole and start somewhere else.

For the best and more professional installation use a jigsaw, I used a cordless jigsaw from harbor freight (30 dollars including the battery) it made quick work of cutting the square. I also tried using a cordless reciprocating saw (blade kept get getting stuck), also tried sheetmetal shears which barely cut anything. You don't want to spend all day cutting the hole.

I have a vortex roof vent, it uses about 3 amps at high power, I wouldnt run it all night on a start battery unless it was a high performance battery in the 100ah range.

Something to look out for is holes on the roof vent cover, for years I had a roof leak I was never able to pinpoint. I knew it was coming from the roof vents (I have 4 total) and tried using more gobs of sealant around the edges, and also tried some of the spraypaint that is suppose to seal leaks. But was never able to locate. Finally I got a larger solar panel (365 watt) this panel went over the forward 2 roof vents, my leaks stop. Long story short, the vent covers on those 2 vents had hairline cracks (developed over years in the sun) .

The vent covers...what things could be used to prolong their durability? Some sort of white paint or other covering?

RVTravel said:
The vent covers...what things could be used to prolong their durability? Some sort of white paint or other covering?

I would think that the same rubberized, white coating that is used on a roof such as Lanco Rubberized Ultra Roof Sealant would be ideal.

What damages the plastic vents is mostly UV from the Sun and also high temperatures but also corrosives in rain and the dirt that blows on it constantly.   The white roof sealant would address all of these.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Installed MaxxAir on my ford E-150 , reversible one with manual top, no remote. Love it. But I would not use it all night on the starting battery unless it is on the lowest speed and then I'd test that to make sure.

I have a Fantastic because the MaxxAir wasn't around at the time I built out my Express. My complaints with the Fantastic:

— The arm that lifts the lid fits loosely (designed that way) which lets the lid flop around in the wind unless you also have a rain cover, which is a big ugly thing I don't want on my roof.

— The screen is hard to remove for cleaning without snapping off the plastic tabs that hold it in place.

Another complaint I had with the Fantastic 3 speed fan (besides the single support arm and screen problems)...

They use a set of two nichrome wire 'resistors' which are used to operate the fan on medium and low...and those heat up in operation...in other words: some of your limited battery power will be wasted away as heat.

Nothing wrong with that if you are on shore power charging, but if you choose the Fantastic Fan, it is wise to get one with digital speed control if you want something more efficient.

The Maxxair is a great fan. Save money, get the simple 4 speed variant. Be happy with it, use it in the rain and while driving.

Maxxfan has the lower profile, and is easy to modify for a one inch mounting thickness if you are conserving the interior vertical dimension of your build. Mine is mounted to oak 1x2.
-crofter

RVTravel said:

Buy the aluminum replacement, it lasts a lifetime.

tx2sturgis said:
Another complaint I had with the Fantastic 3 speed fan (besides the single support arm and screen problems)...

They use a set of two nichrome wire 'resistors' which are used to operate the fan on medium and low...and those heat up in operation...in other words: some of your limited battery power will be wasted away as heat.

Nothing wrong with that if you are on shore power charging, but if you choose the Fantastic Fan, it is wise to get one with digital speed control if you want something more efficient.

Just remember that digital speed controllers create a lot of RFI (radio frequency interference)

Well yes they do, but the noise field they produce tends to be very short range (typically a few feet in my experience) and the OP is presumably not a ham radio operator or shortwave, scanner, or broadcast radio enthusiast. 

If they are, then the old-school resistor-network speed control on the Fantastic Fan 3-speed base model might be the right choice.

66788 said:
Buy the aluminum replacement, it lasts a lifetime.

Does Fantastic fan offer an aluminum replacement lid?  Or how hard would it be to retrofit onto a Fantastic Fan/MaxxFan?
If installed on a MaxxFan you loose the rain guard feature.
MaxxFan Delux has a limited lifetime warranty on the cover (whatever that means).  Mine is going on 8 years with no sign of brittleness (I have a white one).

66788 said:
Just remember that digital speed controllers create a lot of RFI (radio frequency interference)

It doesn't affect my iPhone, hotspot, cell booster, or FM radio when on the lower speeds; don't know about higher speeds because I seldom use them.

Thanks for all the feedback.  We appreciate everyone's sharing.  Now to decide!

So we went with the MaxxAir Deluxe fan based on so many recommendations.  Now to get it installed!  We are just waiting for a rain free day.   We have watched numerous YouTube videos and read and re-read the directions.  We will be installing it in a converted passenger van with the original headliner in place.  We are adding a wooden frame built of 1 x 3 inch wood to the inside for attaching the fan and inside flange.  I am guessing that we should just cut the headliner with a utility knife from the inside before cutting the roof hole.  We have the location marked out to avoid the roof supports.  [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Any tips or advice?  Thanks![/font]