Vehicle repairs in Quartzsite

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vgilbert said:
No re-build, remanufactured I guess is the correct phrase. The transmission I have came "new" from an AAmco factory in Minnesota.
Yes, must be serviced by AAmco while under warranty, self service or service by others would void the warranty which is 3 years unlimited miles as long as it is serviced every 30,000 miles. Any AAmco nationwide can do the service
I have to assume that they'll service it correctly as it's in their own best interest to do so. That must be a relief

^
That's true but it also means more revenue going their way. If what they charge for the service is a bunch more than what an independent shop would charge, then that wouldn't be so great for the customer.

slow2day said:
^
That's true but it also means more revenue going their way. If what they charge for the service is a bunch more than what an independent shop would charge, then that wouldn't be so great for the customer.
That's true but once I paid a Toyota dealer to service the tranny in my old 4Runner and they drained a few qts of tranny grease and added a few back of new. They didn't drop the pan and replace the filter. It looked dirty again the next day.

It's a lousy job getting that stuff all over you but I took care of the van myself in December. It doesn't even have a drain plug. Yuk!

Edited to add: Putting a new filter in the 4Runner wouldn't have magically made all the fluid look clean. More old fluid has to come out and new put back in for that to happen

My quote for the required service every 30,000 miles is $69. Im good with that as I dont have to worry about the tranny for 3 years. So, if I drive 90,000 miles every year thats $207 per year. 90K would be a lot for me.
More than willing to pay this for the peace of mind

vgilbert said:
So, if I drive 90,000 miles every year thats $207 per year. 90K would be a lot for me.

That would be a lot for anyone!  That's 246 miles per day, EVERY day of the year... :huh:

BTW: $69 is quite reasonable. That would barely cover the cost of synthetic fluid these days.

Hello all,
I have a new transmission in my rig!!! 👍

I wanted to give a shout out to Aamco in Yuma! Jennifer and her staff were amazing in so many ways! I was able to stay in my rig in front of the shop for just over a week while I waited on the transmission to be shipped. Yesterday the mechanic pulled the old transmission out but did not have time to put the new one in (arrived late in the day). So, I was locked behind the gate (with my rig) overnight and given a key to the place! Who does that????
Another thing that blew my mind in the beginning was Jennifer not only arranged to have my rig towed from Quartzsite to Yuma but paid the tow truck driver when we arrived. She looked at the tow truck driver and said "the tow was in his estimate so I will get you a check" Who does that???

Also, she offered to let me run a cord into the garage and plug in, offered and allowed me to use the restroom as often as needed, offered the use of their break room to fill water jusgs, etc. The entire staff was amazing.

Another shout out to Bobbi , HOWA Efund coordinator who was involved daily for almost 2 weeks. After several minor issues that added up to be a pretty big bite out of my emergency fund. I was a little short on the $3400 transmission replacement. I contacted HOWA via the website and Bobbi responded within an hour. The entire process went very smooth and Bobbi's communication was top notch! I will be making regular donations to give back the $$ and then some.

So, in conclusion, If you find yourself with vehicle problems around Quartzsite please consider getting your rig to Yuma. The tow charge for the 80 mile trip was $320 ($4 per loaded mile) with the tow company Jennifer works with. It was worth every penny.
I now have a new transmission with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty that any Aamco in the country will honor.
Great info.
Good to know....there are decent Shops still available. Those shops succeed and stay in bussiness for years.!