Vehicle repairs in Quartzsite

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vgilbert

Reaction score
Hello All,
Just wanted to share my experience with an auto repair shop in Quartzsite. 
Due to a major transmission problem I had my rig towed off I-10 to a shop in Q. Turns out the tow company, using a different name, also owns the repair shop. Auto repair in Q is limited so I will not mention any names here but it should not be hard to figure out.

After 4 days and 3 different plans to fix the problem the owner finally told me that he could not fix my problem. Every day brought something new with a new estimate of course. 

Turns out, another customer ordered a transmission (that would also fit mine) for their rig. In the process of taking the new transmission  out of the crate a shop employee dropped it on the ground. The customer then made other arrangements and the shop was stuck with a $3,500 tranny. The new tranny had been cracked when dropped (the case) and welded but not torn down for inspection and re-tested.  The shop owner was attempting to put the damaged transmission in my rig and send me on my way. 
After this whole run around there was now way I was going to let them proceed, I decided the added to bill to Yuma was well worth it.
If you have mechanical issues in Q please consider getting your rig to Yuma. I am blessed to be sitting at an Aamco shop at the moment which has been top notch to this point. I will be posting about the Yuma shop when the new tranny is installed and all is complete.

How did you happen to know that they were trying to pull a fast one with the damaged trans?

Most shops won't let customers in the work area.

Called a mechanic that had done work on my rig when I first purchased it for advise after things began to feel shady in Q. This mechanic had no skin in the game as he was over 2,000 miles away. My initial gut feeling was that the Q shop was going to put in a used tranny and charge for a new one. I asked to see the tranny they were putting in and took photos to send to the mechanic back in Fl. The shop owner did admit that the tranny had "cosmetic damage" but would work fine......
He then attempted to lower the price and assured me all would be fine. After multiple attempts to get a written est. and warranty info on the damaged tranny I decided to walk away. I was so happy to see another tow company show up at take me and my rig off his lot!

That unfortunately happens often in remote locations in the west that have lots of transient winter visitors. Tow fees are very expensive and there is little competition. It pays to have a good tow policy and shop around.

Dangggggg, you just slid by with the skin of your teeth! That was a close one.

Hello all,
I have a new transmission in my rig!!!  :thumbsup: 

I wanted to give a shout out to Aamco in Yuma! Jennifer and her staff were amazing in so many ways! I was able to stay in my rig in front of the shop for just over a week while I waited on the transmission to be shipped. Yesterday the mechanic pulled the old transmission out but did not have time to put the new one in (arrived late in the day). So, I was locked behind the gate (with my rig) overnight and given a key to the place! Who does that????
Another thing that blew my mind in the beginning was Jennifer not only arranged to have my rig towed from Quartzsite to Yuma but paid the tow truck driver when we arrived. She looked at the tow truck driver and said "the tow was in his estimate so I will get you a check" Who does that???

Also, she offered to let me run a cord into the garage and plug in, offered and allowed me to use the restroom as often as needed, offered the use of their break room to fill water jusgs, etc. The entire staff was amazing.

Another shout out to Bobbi , HOWA Efund coordinator who was involved daily for almost 2 weeks. After several minor issues that added up to be a pretty big bite out of my emergency fund. I was a little short on the $3400 transmission replacement. I contacted HOWA via the website and Bobbi responded within an hour. The entire process went very smooth and Bobbi's communication was top notch! I will be making regular donations to give back the $$ and then some. 

So, in conclusion, If you find yourself with vehicle problems around Quartzsite please consider getting your rig to Yuma. The tow charge for the 80 mile trip was $320 ($4 per loaded mile) with the tow company Jennifer works with. It was worth every penny.
I now have a new transmission with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty that any Aamco in the country will honor.

Thanks for the update, glad everything worked out!

Thank you and to all others on the forum who offered advise and assistance!!

That’s a super great post and recommendation. Thanks also for giving HOWA the kudos they deserve!

I'm always leery of repair shops. Especially tranny shops. I think you did the right thing by going to Yuma and getting it done. A nationwide warranty is everything to a nomad. OUCH, but it had to be done. Safe travels.

Letting you hang out in your vehicle saved you tons of headaches and money..

MotorVation said:
I'm always leery of repair shops. Especially tranny shops. 

maybe you can check out my thread on "RTVing Tranny Pan Bolts" in this section? 
i think i may have been sabotaged!

txmnjim said:
maybe you can check out my thread on "RTVing Tranny Pan Bolts" in this section? 
i think i may have been sabotaged!
disregard please. my bad.

Gawd... Sounds like it's time for a couple of adult beverages! or 3...

Glad to heat you're back up and running!

vgilbert said:
I have a new transmission in my rig!!!  :thumbsup: 

I was able to stay in my rig in front of the shop for just over a week while I waited on the transmission to be shipped. 

Hi, I meant to ask this earlier: Did AAMCO give you the option of having your old trans rebuilt there at the shop or instead of having a reman shipped in?

For some reason I thought they did their own in-house rebuilds. 

Also, to keep the warranty in force do they require you to have periodic service done at AAMCO? If so, what is required and how often?

I was not given the option of an inhouse rebuild . On the service/warranty - yes, serviced at any AMMCO nationwide every 30,000 miles.

So just to be clear,

They did not rebuild your transmission?
You must take it an Aamco shop for the service?
You can not service it yourself or take it to another shop?

Sorry for all the questions just want it to be clear.

Highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
You must take it an Aamco shop for the service?
You can not service it yourself or take it to another shop?

Since the warranty is just 3 years, this wouldn't be a big deal unless you drove a lot of miles.

My average is about 9000/year.

No re-build, remanufactured I guess is the correct phrase. The transmission I have came "new" from an AAmco factory in Minnesota.
Yes, must be serviced by AAmco while under warranty, self service or service by others would void the warranty which is 3 years unlimited miles as long as it is serviced every 30,000 miles. Any AAmco nationwide can do the service