vans for sale that came from expired lease

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobilesport

Reaction score
I've been looking at 2016 vans. mostly Chevrolet and I found a used car lot that 
have a few 2016 vans and the salesman said he gets them from somebody after
there lease expires , alot of these vans have around 37000 miles and they all look very
simular.  You can't tell one from another,  i'm talking identical. 

I noticed one 2016 37000 mile van had mismatched tires??  I thought that was odd because I 
thought in my head " don't tires last about 60,000 miles?"
Why's a van with only 37000 miles not have the original tires?

The salesman went to unlock the drivers door and the switch wouldn't work,  I know 
switches usually go out from alot of use, any chance they roll back the odometer on these vehicles? 

The first time i went to the carlot there was quite a few dents in the slide door , today when I went
these dents were fixed and van was detailed , looked nice but when you are going to pay significant 
money for a one year old van I would to prefer buying a van that someone took care of and not
lease , run the hell out of it and dump , clean up and sale.

Why would these companies lease new vans and then dump them ?

Also , 38000 miles????
That's a awful lot of miles for a 1 year old van
To put it in perspective, if you drove 38000 miles every year in thirteen years that
would be 500,000 miles ,,gtfoh , scammers

When I thought of leasing a van when I had a business it seemed pretty strict in terms of miles and condition when I returned it. I would have had to repair any little dings, dents and the like.

City driving can wear tires down fairly quickly. At work, it wasn't uncommon to replace at 25K. Yes, I would be suspicious on mileage for a so-called lease.

Mobilesport said:
Also , 38000 miles????
To put it in perspective, if you drove 38000 miles every year in thirteen years that

I drove 36,000+ miles in one year...on each of two vehicles. Total 72,000+ miles.

It happens.

My ex and me put over 125,000 on a car we owned in less than 3 years
I currently put over 14k on my truck just commuting to town daily
That's not counting other driving i do

When I ran the roads as a sales rep it wasn't hard to run 50 or 60K a year.  When you run that many miles tires can get damaged and need to be replaced.  It's all about $$$$$.  That van is just another piece of equipment to a business, nothing sacred.

Mobilesport said:
Also , 38000 miles????

At my last "corporate" job, as a convenience store district supervisor, I typically put 50,000+ miles/yr on the company trucks from driving between the stores/corporate office

38k on a leased van is nothing uncommon.  I've regularly put 30k a year on vehicles when I was doing insurance estimates.  Businesses lease for a year because for them it makes financial sense.  Or they may have bought them outright direct from Chevy in Bulk like Uhaul does, use them for a year, write everything off, then sell them recouping most your original investment.  

When you're putting 38k miles on your vehicles a year and then dumping them to get all new ones you're certainly not going to be taking care of it like an individual that buys one.  A corporation buys/leases them, a guy working for them drives it and who most likely cares very little about.  A tire blows, they replace it with a single one as that's whats cheapest and down the road they go.  I suspect they get little more than regular oil changes.  And even those are probably pushed to the max or a bit past it

I think doing what Bob did is the way to go if you're going to buy a newer leased van, get one with 10-15k under 36k so you still have the full bumper to bumper warranty for a bit, that way if there are any issues it's 100% covered.  Then you still have the 5yr/60k factory warranty on the power train for even more protection.

2016?.....I didnt know that they leased vehicles for 1 year, isnt it usually 3 years?

I wonder if it was a rental van....Hertz, Enterprise etc?

Something to mention here.   Often cars/trucks that are traded in....if the spare has never been on the ground the dealer will often pull those and put a nearly bald-shod tire in it's place.  Then those new tires are put on a vehicle that they have little money in that will bring a good profit from the sale.
(using a collection of new spare tires this way will help to make a quicker more profitable sale)

Any old car if given a set of new tires will feel "almost" like a new car when you drive it. 

Often Car Sales People will look at a customer's Car just to see how much tread is left on the tires.  If he can get them to a New Car or a Used one with nearly new tires,  the test drive is usually impressive to the buyer.  This is all part of he sales strategy. 

There are some folks who just like having "new" stuff all the time, so they are always on fresh tires.  Others who don't realize the improvement in ride and stearing a new set of tires can make to their old rig may be inclined to want something newer.   

So Dealers will try to put the best tires they can scrounge up on a car that they are trying to sell and hope the customer doesn't notice the mis match.

Leases are often limited miles, when lots of miles, cheaper to start over rather than pay overage charges.

And leases do get reneged on early, just like loans.

Delivery-type services can easily rack up huge miles.

The improvement on ride with new tires i can vouch for, putting new shoes on the Ranger made it ride like new, for a while