vans, curtain rod between cockpit & living area: how do you secure it?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaylee

Reaction score
Somebody else converted my van, and did a fabulous job.
The only thing that annoys me (almost daily) is the curtain rod between the front/cockpit area and the living area. It's lightly wedged in, right above the seat belt holders.
It's too precarious, and falls down easily.

This must be a common issue.
Could van folks post pictures and/or text descriptions of how you secure yours?

Thanks in advance! :)

It's a Dodge B250.
I've mentally toyed with switching to cordage, but I think it's too wide for that to be viable.
The rod & curtains otherwise work well.

Depending on the thickness of the curtain rod there are a couple of remedies.

If it's a thinner rod that will fit into one of the 'handles' on a binder clip you can take the binder clip and wedge one side of the black part down into the  plastic trim line and then insert the end of the curtain rod in to the handle...I call it that because I have no idea what it's called.... :D 

The other solution, particularly if the rod is bigger in diameter is to create a sling for it with webbing. The sling needs to be attached some way to the wall of the vehicle. One way is by screwing it in through the plastic trim. Use a largish washer to spread the pressure of the screw on the webbing. Then hand the curtain rod in the sling you've created.

If the wall of the vehicle is vertical or almost vertical you could switch to using one of the shower curtain rod sets that have brackets that are normally screwed to the bathroom wall. The rod itself can be cut to size. This doesn't work all that well if the wall of the vehicle where you want to put the rod has any kind of slope that would prevent the rod from fitting snugly in to the bracket.

I use a shower curtain rod that expands. It doesn't require making any holes and it's easy to take down when I'm not using it. They make something similar for window curtains.

Kaylee said:
Somebody else converted my van, and did a fabulous job.
The only thing that annoys me (almost daily) is the curtain rod between the front/cockpit area and the living area.  

Hi, in my E-150 conversion van with sportsmobile penthouse top there is lots of metal (covered with fabric) and I use magnets in 4 places. I fold up and put it away during the day.
No rod necessary.

Wow, thanks everyone! :)

Quick related question:
Do you drive with your curtain rod in place, or do you take it down & stow/secure it?

"Almost There":
It's a thicker rod.
I like your "webbing" suggestion - I've been thinking of using cordage to loosely secure it, for now.
I've got some velcro cable ties that might work well in combination with cordage.

Wabbit & tonyandkaren: thanks! Those look intriguing. :)

Homeless in Canada: thanks, I'd still like some sort of backup (like belt suspenders). It's a Browncoat thing. :)

crackedpan: I'll investigate that possibility.

I'm still grokking how I want things set up, long term, so am reluctant to drill/etc.
A simple & clean kludge would be acceptable in the short term. :)
Any suggestions?

You can use an expandable clothing rod, the kind made for the back of automobiles.

The hooks at each end slip over the coat hooks behind driver and passenger seat, and will hold securely.

I've used a spring loaded Shower Curtain Rod with success.  I installed wire shower curtain pins on it before wedging it in place.  My curtain is a big Beach Towel and I  punched small holes in it along one long side and fit it to the curtain pins just like it was a shower curtain.  I have safety pins  holding a smaller towel  to cover a slight gap between the seats.  

This was cheap and it works fine.

I put 1/4"-20 PlusNut inserts on either side of the van, just below the roofline and just above the seatbelt shoulder harness attachment points.
Into those I put 1/4"-20 Eye Bolts.
I strung plastic coated cable between them with a small turnbuckle on the drivers side.
Cranked it nice and tight so it would twang when plucked.

Now my curtain slides easily, never falls down, plus it mounts up nice and high at the roof line which minimizes light leakage (in and out) at the top. With the curtain pushed back, it doubles as a clothes line/closet pole.
I can hang clothes with clothes pins or put them on hangers and hang as in a traditional closet.

I prefer solutions that definitively fix the issue AND add versatility.