VANLIFE ISN'T THE ANSWER

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. this is so well written and genuine. Since im a Gen Xer, id like to read an article from the perspective of another Gen Xer on this.

Meh, for me vandwelling is mostly practical. It's a big country, I want to see all of it, and vandwelling is the most flexible and most interesting way to do that.

I outgrew all the navel-gazing long ago.

I wonder if the common denominator for enthusiasm on the road has to do with being in the company of others who enjoy the same thing. I don't know. I've been to all 50 States. I enjoyed the adventure. I have fond memories. But I wonder if it wouldn't have been even more rewarding if I'd been traveling with like-minded; positive and enthusiastic travelers. The trick is finding the balance of comaraderie and alone-time. But, yes, it is a big Country and I want to see it all. What else is there...

Sounds like the young man simply did not live below his means.

An excellent, well-written article!  Importantly, one needs to decide what is the "question" . . . why does a person decide to live the van life, either part-time or full-time.  People do it for many reasons, and their reasons need to be carefully thought out, expectations defined, and risks weighed.

Beat me to it.

The answer is 42.

The key is asking the right question.

No one should claim any one lifestyle works for more than a small slice of the population.

Success is the Freedom to make your own choices.

treezza said:
 People do it for many reasons, and their reasons need to be carefully thought out, expectations defined, and risks weighed.

Sounds reasonable, and know that proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance, especially when there's only one to blame.

42, LOL. I'm about ready to hit the road and I am ABSOLUTELY going to bring along a towel.

John61CT said:
No one should claim any one lifestyle works for more than a small slice of the population.
Success is the Freedom to make your own choices.

Exactly . . .

Reading this article, I could not help but be reminded of Bob's "don't crash and burn" video. It seems like they both said the same thing, in different ways.

AJ452 said:
42, LOL. I'm about ready to hit the road and I am ABSOLUTELY going to bring along a towel.
Just when you think life can’t possibly get any worse it suddenly does.
There are few things in the universe better than a nice cup of tea.
Improbable does not mean impossible.
Check your intellectual blind spots.
Two heads aren’t necessarily better than one.
Most important:
Don’t Panic!

I always get that feeling that people who don't know what the heck they truly want anyway, look for answers in every corner of their life and make changes that will never answer a question they don't even have a clue of an answer. So many are looking and needing and want to discover etc. but they don't really know what that means so they find no 'magic answers' about their lives from changes they made seeking that cemented and final answer to all their questions. Life is shades of gray all thru it. Never black and white.
Question after question after question, and another question and a question answered with a question? oh that gets old. I don't do that anymore to myself, lol.

Very well written.  I read between the lines.  I get it.
I want to believe that he emerged a true winner.  He knows it. The last paragraph says it all.
He found out what was needed.  What he needed.  When he needed.  Because he needed.
The type of vehicle doesn't matter. Coulda been a horse.
He did what was required,  at the time, with his chosen faculties at hand, to continue on with the journey.
Kudos.
Happy trails, mon ami

Ask the wrong question and you get unsatisfying answers.

OTOH, it's taken over 60 yrs for me to start learning the right questions to ask so we all have our own path and each is as valuable as the next.

Cool link. I enjoyed it immensely. Well written to tell his point of view. Matt's IG photos are stunning. One chapter ends, the next begins. Thanks for the link, Cyndi.

Sometimes a life change which sounds great in theory doesn't work out in real life. Van life isn't for everybody, as some people discover only after spending large amounts of money.

I would encourage everyone thinking of adopting the van life to first try it out inexpensively for a few weeks before spending a lot of money on a rig and equpment.

So if traveling in your current vehicle and sleeping in a tent isn't appealing, you can rent a cargo van and sleep in it while traveling for a while. When renting a cargo van for an experimental trip, the only extra equipment needed is a few items such as a thermarest, sleeping bag, luggable loo, bucket, an inexpensive camping stove, a cheap cooler, etc.