Vandwelling Beds: Memory Foam

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srae29

Reaction score
Cheers everybody, I have a question concerning the prevention of mold with my Sealy foam mattress in my van.
Right now it lays on a 3/4" plywood a out 14" off the floor. What have others done to prevent mold happening with the mattress? Put something on the plywood between it and the mattress? Or put the mattress in a protection cover? At the moment I haven't had to deal with condensation yet, but I'm concerned about mattress foam mold and would like to know how others have had to prevent mattress mold.
Any suggestions and ideas are appreciated.
Cheers

My bed platform is designed to lift in three separate sections so I can access storage beneath (12V fridge/laundry hamper/deep storage for seldom used stuff and excess food supplies).

Since I'm in to the fridge multiple times a day and the laundry  hamper area at least once a day, I have had no problem with any kind of moisture build up between the mattress and the plywood and that includes a very rainy summer in the PNW where it rained at least part of the day for 51 days straight!!

Getting even temperatures above and below the bed is the key more than anything. If the below plywood area is shut off and colder than the above bed temps then you're going to get condensation. I noticed this one winter in an apartment when I had the mattress on the floor which was carpet over concrete. I thought that it was a broken pipe seeping upwards but it turned out to be condensation - cold meeting warm!

Simply putting a comforter/throw or blanket between the mattress and the plywood will do little to help. If you're  not building the bed to lift up for access to storage and it's going to be closed off in all directions then either drilling holes or using slats will work if you don't want to put in a commercially made separator to prevent condensation build  up.

I have an old afghan blanket/throw that my son's ex-wife didn't want. The kind that people used to drape over the back of their sofa in the 70s and 80s. It is very thick but with a very open weave. I put it under my bottom foam, then fold it over to go under my top layer of foam. Every time I move I pump air in and out between those layers of foam and the board underneath. No accumulation of moisture yet, even when the windows are dripping wet. 

You might be able to find one at a thrift store somewhere.

Thanks for the stories and suggestions. I better find something for ventilation because I dont use anything now. So far, I havn't had a problem.
I've been so focused on preventing mold in my van ever since I watched a video of a young guy constracting a serious infection from a moldy mattress in his van.

While still in the planning stage of a build, I'm using a perforated Muscle Shelving Unit (Walmart) reconstructed into a bed platform. Shortening the legs to 13 inches, and bolting 2-shelf configurations together to make a raised platform provides air flow and under bed storage. In a different application on top of a plywood platform, I bolted single shelves together side by side, with only pvc connectors as legs, to provide air flow.

I find it to be more of a problem in the winter. good ventilation is the key. highdesertranger

Here's a thought.

My foam mattress (standard foam with a memory foam topper) is in a "bedwetter" bag. Not because I can't control my bladder (yet) but because I might spill on it or it might get rained on. I'm guessing it works as well keeping atmospheric moisture out. I haven't had a mold/mildew problem in the six years I've been on the road, even though my mattress sits on a solid sheet of plywood. My experience isn't really a test since I stick mostly to low humidity regions.

Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/SafeRest-Pre...attress+cover&qid=1565377538&s=gateway&sr=8-9

the place to go to learn about how to prevent mold in a mattress is the live aboard boating community. They are experts on the subject.

LoveCareThinkDo said:
Does it crinkle or make noise when you move around? Does the mattress tend to slide around more?

No and no. It's a thin coating on the fabric that's more rubbery or silicone-y rather than plastic-y. At least that's how mine is.

My experience:

Memory foam is closed cell and won't transmit moisture. 4 years of mold free use on a plywood stand. The memory foam degraded and split so a regular foam mattress was used for 3 months resulting in mold between the bottom of the open cell foam and the plywood base.

I killed the mold with clorox bleach and used a plastic mattress cover. Case closed.

My new build has a new memory foam mattress, no cover, no mold after 6 months. I think memory foam is better for the mobile lifestyle.

Maybe flipping the mattress every couple of days would help with moisture problem. When I had a memory foam mattress in my condo I found it extremely hot to sleep on and it made me sweat.

I have a 4" memory mattress in a waterproof protective cover with a large sheepskin, that a friend gave me several years ago, on top, one of those area rug anti slip matts underneath and I LOVE it. I sleep better on it than I have in years.
Only been full time for a few months, and mostly in drier climates, so mold hasn't been a problem. My camper is pretty easier to ventilate.

I'm planning to use slats instead of Plywood for just this reason. They do offer a paint at some of the hardware/big box stores. That could be an option if you are looking to prevent it. But I dont think it will do much to get rid of it.

We had a condensation issue under our foam mattress as well. We bought Ravenwolf Marine Den-Dry Mattress Underlay from Amazon and have stayed dry. 

MrNoodly said:
Here's a thought.

My foam mattress (standard foam with a memory foam topper) ...
I also bag my memoryfoam mattress and pillows and use a zippered washable cover instead of sheets. I place dessicant in the van and cook outside. So far no mold, but I also shade the van in the heat.
I like the idea of bolting those plastic shelves together for a base, but too low to have much storage under. The height of my plywood is 39 inches and accomodates two to three stacked bins.  -crofter

MrNoodly said:
Here's a thought.

My foam mattress (standard foam with a memory foam topper) is in a "bedwetter" bag. Not because I can't control my bladder (yet) but because I might spill on it or it might get rained on. I'm guessing it works as well keeping atmospheric moisture out. I haven't had a mold/mildew problem in the six years I've been on the road, even though my mattress sits on a solid sheet of plywood. My experience isn't really a test since I stick mostly to low humidity regions.

Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/SafeRest-Pre...attress+cover&qid=1565377538&s=gateway&sr=8-9
I think those bags are a great idea even if you dont have mold or moisture issues. They keep your mattress clean and dust free. Worse comes to worse you just pull the encasement off and wash it. I have one similar to this on a house bed and it's not plasticy or crinkly at all it just feels like a very heavy sheet. Highly recommended if you have pets. I had my cat get sick a couple of times and the encasement saved my mattress. It's not really fun having to take it on and off but I've had worse jobs to do.

Latest posts