Van versus Car???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kygreg said:
Consider a Toyota Prius for the car / tent option. The hatchback is huge, store everything you need, then off load it into the tent at camp. The hatchback can sleep (2) 6'-2" people in AC / Heat all night long with the hybrid engine / electric system. You can also add a 1500 watt inverter to that same system and run a frig., microwave, coffee maker etc.  Top it off with 50 mpg. and one of the most reliable cars on the market. The downside is low ground clearance, so you are limited to where you can camp.

The budget version of this would be the older Geo metro, cheap, very reliable and unlike the Prius super cheap to fix. I had one before that got up to 60 mpg.  Some are higher.  I talked to someone this week who just spent $2000 on a Prius battery.  There is a Geo hatchback available near me right now. There is also the Ford Taurus wagon or hatchback  38 mpg.  I'm leaning toward having more stow space with a wagon.  Which your pointing out the clearance gets me back to a Subaru.

That heat all night long is a real positive.  But I am drawn to sleeping in the tent using a sheepskin sleeping bag.  A van with heater is the easier, more space, less work option....  I met a woman in Crestone Co last year who said she had lived in a van for several years and all her health problems cleared up...

its like there is no one size fits all...  and I'm still pulled in different directions.

in Indian Ayurvedic medicine, which I find brilliant for the most part, sleeping in a metal bed is considered to be bad for the nerves. And cars are all metal. And I don't think its just an old fashioned stereotype that many women are prone to weak nerves, especially with a culture that is in an excess, burnout, overdrive, mode.  

So in the quiet back part of my mind its the sheepskin bed and the geomancy of earth energy, sleeping with your head to the east and realigning your magnetic field so all your little cellular enzymes get a power boost for greater efficiency, that holds a quiet center.   :)
Call it Earth medicine.  So even with a van I think I would park and tent sleep for the majority of the time...

Right now in the middle of the night,  rich Mongolian yurt style, with rugs and pillows sounds dreamy.

Attachments

• 24c6df3a1c4246ab270dba5095c55c24.jpg
    24c6df3a1c4246ab270dba5095c55c24.jpg
    147.5 KB
This makes sense now as to why those way expensive super small teardrops are popular.  Very helpful, thanks.
If you had to strip the entire pop up it would be more economic to just start with a frame...

I'm sure one could find one in good condition for cheap.  I'm seeing in southern NM/El PaseoTx where prices
for trailers are great deals.   And low rainfalls there so less likely to have water damage.

There were a couple Apache hard sided pop ups in Arizona craigslist, the smaller one that had new jacks for the top I believe was $2900. I am of the opinion smaller is better when towing.

Sounds right unless you have one of those vehicles that is a beast for towing, but the gas mileage on them is abysmal.

I am nostalgic for vintage.  My parents had one of those all wooden Shasta trailers, and my grandparents 
had a sweet camper truck combo.   All you needed was an old Ford truck

Right now my budget is not greater than 5K for a vehicle.  That opens me up for van,  tow beast or...

But I am leaning (albeit only slightly) toward the tent and a spacious vehicle for less than 3K.
Because, I think that modern building materials although they can be luxurious, beautiful and comfortable, are not really
inclined to health and longevity.

I can't really add anything of value re: your OP but I love your signature.

Namaste

thnx    :sleepy:  crazy history from the Himalaya's... with a few observations...  seems about right

twist is there is a teaching about 'all is mind/perception'  
so I see a prince, he sees a demon
and if we figure it out to be a ruse we meet in the middle
-the birth of worlds is a painful thing