Van-Tramp adventures 2017

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every man needs an axe
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/every-man-needs-an-axe/[/SIZE]

[size=large]I’m a sucker for a pretty face, so when I stumbled onto a shabby, old, and rusted axe in a flea market in Colorado I immediately picked it up and brought it home. My previous axe was broken and lost in Baja some time ago, and the risks involved with tramping around forest roads without some means of cutting our way out of a fallen-tree was extreme. I argued for a long time that we needed a chainsaw, but Kerri kept me in check on that. A new axe was our compromise.

[size=large]
I had grand ideas of refurbishing it into a work of art that all would envy, knowing damn well that I could never accomplish it because a) I didn’t have the know-how, and b) I didn’t have the tools. What I had not taken into consideration was spending a few weeks parked in a forest with Brandon of @drivedivedevour , who did have the know-how and the tools. Over the course of a week or more, Brandon showed me all the things I needed to know, and supplies the tools and leather to make it all happen. Not 24 hours after the sharpening, it proved to me that just the slightest touch would result in a gash in my thumb. Hence the need for the custom sheath. And since we pulled out the leather, a custom collar to protect the newly finished handle was in order as well.
[/size]

[size=large]
As much as I’d like to take credit for the work, it would be an outright lie if I did. Brandon did nearly all the work with me only doing some stitching and sanding. I did keep him company during most of it though, so I learned what to do for the next axe in my life… teach a man to fish and all. The end result turned out so much more than I would have thought up. What flaws were left in the axe head were left to show the real beauty of it all; it is a true work horse, not some hang-on-the-wall princess.

[/size]

cool, I really like the leather overstrike boot. I would be afraid to use it now. LOL. highdesertranger

Very Cool! Nice looking axe, and workmanship. What name on the head please?

Slick handles require gloves and oil for the head. Dry desert climate will really do a job on the handle if you don't pay attention and care for it. Working woodsmen used to soak the heads in a bucket at night to keep the heads tight and dry, sharpen and oil every morning. Copper wire was used for stitching or copper sheet was used in the sheath to protect the leather from sharp edges. Really pretty work.

Beeuutiful,

Don't put your eye out.   :D 

gapper2

Time to burn, so rodeo
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/time-to-burn-so-rodeo/

[size=large]The gathering broke up soon after the Solar Eclipse. Each day another two or three rigs pulled out, and by Thursday all but one (us) were heading somewhere else. It was strange to be there all by ourselves. Three weeks this was our home, and for all of those days we had many neighbors. The silence of the place was so loud.

We have (had actually) five weeks to burn before our next scheduled activity – kayaking Labyrinth Canyon between Green River and Moab, Utah. Of course I had other places to go visit during these weeks, but two things have changed those plans; 1) we have driven a lot this year, and we are tired of it – relaxing more sounds great, and 2) it is too hot to go into “lower” elevations (and by that I mean anything below 7000 feet).
[/size]

[size=large]
We left Stanley, Idaho on the Saturday following the eclipse, Northward towards an unexplored area – to us – of Idaho; Salmon. It was in Salmon we were going to hang out for a week or two, but Kerri’s not-so-great-navigation-skills failed to take into account that Salmon, Idaho is below 4000 foot elevation, and it was blazing hot the day we arrived. Worse was the forecast in the mid 90’s for the rest of the week and even hotter on the following weekend.
[/size]

[size=large]
On the plus side, we were camped very near the local Fairgrounds, and that night was a professional rodeo and the county fair. Even with the heat laying it on thick, we set out at 7PM to go to our first ever rodeo together (my first ever). The rodeo was enjoyable enough, but it was the Mormon scones that stole the show that night. Scone-nuggets to be exact. Light and fluffy (similar to a funnel cake) and dipped in honey butter. MMmmmm good!

We still wanted to leave though, and here is the great thing about a nomadic lifestyle, we could do exactly that at any time. Our entire life, and home, is in tow right? So the only real issue was just finding another place cool enough to live for a few weeks. And that doesn’t take long now-a-days either, thanks to great apps and other people’s reviews. The following day we simply drove another few hours to reach Alta, WY where we were near 7000 feet and cuddled right under the West side of the Teton mountains. Not great for solar, but great for shade.

This was still too hot by the way, so we spent the following day roaming around dirt roads until we found our ideal spot where we could pull the trailer right up to a small river, off the beaten path, and tons of shade. We need to hunker down for two full weeks since Labor Day weekend is upon us and the crowds in any established place will be beyond our tolerance levels. Four miles out a dirt road that it seems is rarely used will do just fine (more on this place in the next blog post).
[/size]

[size=large]
For those keeping track, we went form staying in a single location for three weeks to jumping to three different locations in two days. It’s just how we roll sometimes.
[/size]

Avoiding the Labor Day crowds
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/avoiding-the-labor-day-crowds/

[size=large]As I said in the previous blog post, the need to avoid the Labor Day weekend crowds was strong with us both and we wanted to have a spot a week ahead to stay planted through the holiday weekend. These three day weekends may be something to celebrate for people who live in sticks-n-bricks houses, but for us nomads it means all those folks come invade our homes for a few days. I hate saying it that way… they have just as much right to camp on public land as us nomads of course, it is just part of this lifestyle that Kerri and I have (finally) learned to plan for; the crowds, and not having any solitude.[/size]
[size=large]
After our first spot in this area proved not be to our liking, we scouted a dirt road 15 miles North and found an ideal spot for us (added to my boondocking map) to hang out for two full weeks (through the holiday weekend). Here we had a small stream within feet of the trailer, shade from much of the afternoon heat, and what turn out to be all sorts of solitude which we desperately needed after three weeks of hardcore socializing.
[/size]

[size=large]

A few folks did drive their horse trailers up to the end of this road – more than 2 miles away – for the three-day weekend. There they camped and rode the trail that climbs up the West side of the Teton mountains. Only one camper came nearby our location, and only stayed for a single night. The place was all our own for the week leading up too, and most of the holiday weekend. We couldn’t have asked for a nicer, and quieter, place to stay.
[/size]

[size=large]
Over the weekend we did get out to hike a bit of the Tin Cup trail at the end of this road. There Kerri picked a good helping of wild berries – ensured they would not kill us – which she then made into a galette (a lazy-man’s-pie for those not in the know) and some liqueur for the future us. Byron spent most of his free time in the stream, or barking at me to throw the tennis ball more. Moose just ran around peeing on every bush and ensuring the underside of the Airstream was rodent free.
[/size]

[size=large]more pictures at http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/avoiding-the-labor-day-crowds/[/SIZE][/size]

The end is near!
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/the-end-is-near/

[size=large]It is right around the corner that I return to Big Blue (now in desert tan) who has been waiting  oh so patiently for me in California. Kerri and I left Big Blue last December as we started our 2017 travels all the way to the South, South East, then to the Great Lakes, and now back to the West. Come November I can give Big Blue a huge embrace. It is then that we (Kerri and me) start a new chapter…[/size]
[size=large]
We nearly took Big Blue instead of the Airstream for our 2017 travels. It wasn’t just me wanting that, even Kerri wanted to stay in the van after our time down in Baja in it. After weeks of pondering on it, Kerri made the very valid argument about the necessity of air conditioning in the South. She did not know, of course, that the trailer’s AC unit would stop working in Georgia and cost us $2000 to replace. The replacement then stopped working only two months later! We basically had a working AC unit for only the first few months of the year… when it was cool enough not to need it.
[/size]

[size=large]
After two full years living in an Airstream (for me), we are going to store it and head out in the van.  We expect it to be in the van the full 2018 year at the least, and very possibly going into 2019 and beyond. The only thing that will get us back out of the van will be a sail boat, which we will begin shopping for in 2019. That is all beside the point though, what I really am trying to say here is,
[/size]

We will be in a van again!!!

(not a vanagon)​

[size=large]
And for that reason, I am going to crank up my van-guy brain again and get back on the subject of vansvan essentialsvanlife, and van-berry muffins! A few photos to get the van-brain juices flowing…
[/size]

[size=large]

[/size]

The Idaho adventures continue
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/the-idaho-adventures-continue/

[size=large]We made it past Labor Day – known to many as “Full Timers Liberation Day” as schools are back in and the final holiday weekend of the summer is past – without major incident. We had only one neighbor pull in to camp nearby and only for a single night’s stay. Even then, he was still a few hundred yards away. Basically, we had our own slice of forest all to ourselves for two weeks.[/size]

[size=large]After two weeks of the beautiful forest-camping our nomadic blood began to percolate, and we felt the need to move from our wonderfully peaceful and solitary spot to something, anything, further down the road. Saturday afternoon we left, driving only a few miles to get to Grand Teton Distillery on the outskirts of town. GTD is a member of the Harvest Host program, so they welcomed us for an overnight stay. We picked up some more booze (because… Kerri [ I take that back, she bought *me* some vodka]) and hit the local Korean place for a final meal in town. The following morning we were set to take off to a completely different area.

Kerri had a few places in mind near Lava Hot Springs, Idaho (neither of us have been in to this area of Idaho) so we pointed the GPS to where we wanted to hoped it would lead us there. Surprisingly, it did, and three hours later we were pulling into – and past – Lava Hot Springs. Our spot was still another 30 minutes past town, and seven miles up an un-scouted gravel road into the Caribou National Forest. We both have gotten quite good at reconnoitering a potential spot via Google satellite view, and Kerri had a place in mind.
[/size]

[size=large]

[/size]

[size=large]We did not make it, instead choosing a new-to-us place right on the Pebble Creek. A large, flat, and open meadow with our nearest neighbor well out of sight. Here, again, the dogs had tons of space to run (Moose) and water to play in (Byron). Kerri and I were both happy to go from heavily forested areas to open meadows. We just need *change* all the time, not just in location but in scenery as well. So, here we sit for the next week, or two,  as we wait for the temperatures in Utah to start mellowing out before heading South to our rendezvous with friends for our final big yak-packing trip of the year.[/size]

Very cool find with the axe, I always grab them when I find em cheap at yard sales/flea markets. I have somewhat an obsession with axes. I've also found there are a lot of crappy axes out there, they absolutely do not all chop equally. Some eat through wood like it's their job and others take 3x as much swings to do the same work. I find the older the axe head, the better it cuts. I don't think new axes at the big box stores even have hardened edges, they dull way too quickly compared to some of my older ones, that can still shave the hair off your arm after a few hours of splitting wood.

Van-Tramp said:
It does not appear so. We are going to blast through AZ (right through Quartsite, but this weekend) and NM so we can get to Bid Bend National Park then New Orleans. We will be missing RTR by a few weeks it seems, but I will be watching you all via forum posts.

Lived in New Orleans for 12 years.  When you're coming in, with any luck I'll be headed out to RTR.  Cool pics, best of luck in your adventures.  P.S.  Very challenging for RVs in New Orleans.  Just be aware.  Have fun!

Mice, a reality of this life
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/mice-a-reality-of-this-life/

[size=large]With the joys of living in a meadow comes the wildlife that lived here first. Any time we spend more than just a day or two in any part of our national forests, a family of stowaways inevitably attempts to join our fun-parade. Although we are actually invading their homes, I can’t cut them any slack when they cross the line and invade our physical home. One thing an Airstream is not, is air-tight. The belly pan on this thing has so many places a water buffalo could slip in, let alone a tiny little field mouse… and his entire family. I have not had these problems in the van before, but that may be – in some part – that I rarely sat still for a few days in the van.[/size]
[size=large]
Sitting still in Stanley for three weeks, then another two weeks in near Driggs provided ample time for the cute little terrors to make their way in and set up a full fledged community. We previously had a small arsenal of mouse traps, but we bought more to make a survivalist sized arsenal! With a total of ten assault-mouse-traps (with pistol grips!), I went to work (Kerri wont touch the traps; fear of being snapped and all… I get it, I’m not giving grief) and within an hour we heard the unmistakable “click” followed by a cheer from the two humans in the trailer. Three that night, two more the next, and over the next few days another here and there.
[/size]

[size=large]
We are not big fans of killing the wildlife, and mice are no exception. However, there is a reality in the wild, that mice die – a lot of them – constantly. I am not having any real effect on some larger ecosystem here. Even if I were to trap them “nicely” and release them with a stern warning, they’d come right back in and start chewing on the food, insulation, and wiring inside the trailer. That simply can not be tolerated.
[/size]

[size=large]
I’m collecting the pelts. One day I will make a jacket out of them!
[/size]

If you travel with a 5 gallon bucket,  i've yet to use a more effective mouse trap than the 5 gallon trap. (lots of plans/versions on the internet)   They jump on the can suspended over the bucket that freely spins and they fall into the bucket filled with a few inches of water and drown.  It's admittingly not the most humane method, but it catches a lot of mice with out needing to be reset,  we used it for years in the summer family cottage after closing up for the winter.  Almost lost the house one year to mice chewing on wires so after that I was less concerned with the humanity of it and more concerned with the structure.  And mice carry and spread Lyme, a huge issue here in the northeast.

Here's a pic of one I stole of the net, mine looks pretty much identical.

Attachments

• ultimate mouse trap.jpg
    ultimate mouse trap.jpg
    32.1 KB
Put a little bleach in the water to kill anything they might be carrying.

Chesterfield Ghost Town
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/chesterfield-ghost-town/[/SIZE]

When I started this lifestyle, I never thought I’d have gone to dozens of ghost towns around the country. It comes as a side benefit of traveling around the West. I must profess my thankfulness that some have it in them to stand up and and take care of these old relics of our past. I sure hope those people continue so my son – and beyond – can visit them as well. Chesterfield, Idaho was another Oregon Trail town, and founded by Mormon settlers in the 1880’s. I wont bother to give any more of a history lesson then that. You can read more [size=large]herehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesterfield,_Idaho if you wish.

Kerri and I took the dogs for the 40 minute drive from camp to the ghost town over the weekend. Not an ideal weather day for sure, but it did give a dramatic back drop to some of the photos. As is the norm in Idaho, the town was boarded and completely closed down as of Labor Day. No tours for us, but the town is open to the public anyway. The buildings that remain are spread out over a pretty good sized area. Walking to each wasn’t going to happen, so we drove from spot to spot. Moose gets a kick out of that; jumping in and out of the truck to explore a new place every few minutes. Byron on the other hand, explored a few then just stayed in the truck the rest of our visit.

Once again, I leave a Western ghost town with the longing of living in such a place. I could see myself, odd as it sounds, being a integral part of such a community. I’m not sure what that means to be honest. A farmer? A merchant? or the local thief? I dunno, but I’d love it.

[size=large] http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/IMG_2106.jpg [/size]

ghosttowns.com is a good place to find ghost towns. It list by state and then by county with a small description of what is their now and what was their and if on privet  land and if open to the public.

Antelope Island
http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/antelope-island/

[size=large]We made it out of Idaho and into Utah last week, staying not far out of Salt Lake City for my first time ever. I mean, I’ve passed through and even overnighted in the Salt Lake area before (many times) but I’ve never stuck around for more than just a nap. Now a whole week stay has been done, and right out in the lake itself on Antelope Island State Park.[/size]
[size=large]

[/size]

[size=large]Oddly enough, Antelope island is known more for it’s bison then the pronghorn which are not antelope at all. They are more closely related to giraffe then anything. And we didn’t see a single pronghorn during our stay, but the bison were out in force. So were the mosquitoes man… bad ones too. Not only do they swarm, they really like dark meat. When they have to choose between Kerri and me, I get bit. And their bites are different. Instead of just a small itchy welt popping up it is a hard white-peaked mountain under my skin. They seriously hurt to the point that we never got to do any of the hikes in the area. Every time we even walked the dogs, literally dozens would be on us before we got a few yards out of the trailer.[/size]
[size=large]

[/size]

[size=large]Kerri chose this place primarily to be within proximity of her favorite Mexican eatery in all the country. It definitely was good. I’d put it in my top three for sure, but my memory can not serve up the two that I might rank on top. I spent the week running errands in town; propane re-fill, laundry, shopping, etc… all weekly routine items for me at this point. It wasn’t until Friday that I stayed at the trailer for the entire day. Then we were off and away on Saturday morning.[/size]

Go to Flaming Gorge , very pretty .

Nomadventurer Note: Trimmed to remove excess including pictures for those using cellphones.

Latest posts