Van Temperature Monitoring

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I admit, this is my first pet, and I am a freakishly overprotective first time pet person. :blush: I did a search on the forums and could not find this subject being discussed, so thought I would start a thread to help pull resources together to help other pet owners.

When I do begin van living, I want to be able to visit and explore the great outdoors, but the thing I worry about is leaving my pet (cat) alone in the vehicle and the rooftop or window unit a/c fails. I could leave him in the shaded tent in a wire 'cat condo' so he could catch a breeze and have some protection, but I do not believe that this setup would be strong enough to keep bears and other large predators out.

Lo and behold, I have found the following. It is a cellular module that plugs into 110v (battery backup and notification in case 110 dies) and sends text, email, and phone alerts if the power goes out. Also sends these alerts if the temperature (cold or hot) or humidity gets out of hand. It uses Verizon Wireless as the carrier (but you pay/administer your account with a third party, not Verizon). You can either plug into your inverter or the campsite's power.

MarCell Cellular Connected Monitoring System
http://www.protectedhome.com/marcell-cellular-connected-monitoring-system-p-209-l-en.html

You could also go with a DIY hookup as such:
http://gopetfriendlyblog.com/gadgets-that-keep-your-pets-safe-from-the-heat/

1 - Temperature sensor (150.00)
2 - Bluetooth Phone link (40.00)
3 - Active spare cellular phone ($???)

I like the MarCell because it is all in one and monitors three different items. I am thinking I will have a spare key to leave at the campground front desk in case I am too far away to rescue my pet and give them permission to rescue in an emergency. I will also have a sign in the window http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/-rescue-pet-sign/69203 and will write in "Contact campground office" or something like that. But if the van is on fire, I want them to break the window...forget the key. LOL

What do you think? Do you know of more monitoring systems out there? Giving up my pet is not an option, so trying to find a humane way to take care of him while I am off streaking in nature and skinnydipping in lakes. :cool:

Would a roof-mounted shaded "cat condo" solution alleviate your concerns about predators?

All well and good if you are a campground dweller running A/C. I have no doubt this thing would be worthless to a great number of us.

My solution was to register Bindi as an ESA (emotional support animal) so she can go where I go.

Come to think of it...we don't even use our A/C while driving since we get off the road when its hot. By lunch we usually call it a day.
It might be different for those who aren't from the desert but all we need is some shade and a little breeze....and we can make our own shade :)

Another thread about another device.

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Animalarm?highlight=temperature

Good to have similar options all in one place. Thanks for posting. I'm not sure about the real world benefits of a system like this unless you limit yourself to only going where cell signals are strong. That's pretty limiting.

I have traveled and will be traveling again with cats. Parking in shade, plenty of (ice cold) water, ventilation (not necessarily air conditioning), even wet or damp towels on the floor they can lay on. Also doing whatever to make vehicle more hospitable like putting reflective elastomeric roof coating on, or setting up a reflective tarp. This will make the van more comfortable for when you cone back to it and comfy for kitty also while you're gone.

I'm not saying you haven't thought of doing these things. I just want you to be aware of the limitations of those types of devices. Depends where you want to go frolicking. Campgrounds may have cell service or may not. You can get an antenna or amplifier or both for your vehicle cell service. What about where you are going to be. You will need to be someplace where you can receive the cell signal. Natural beauty and cell service many times don't over lap. Just something to be aware of when picking your destinations.

I just eliminate the problem by being a snowbird and moving where the weather is moderate or okay with my dog.

I know not everyone can do that, but if you can, it's a win-win for both of you because you want to be comfortable too!
Bob

bindi&us said:
All well and good if you are a campground dweller running A/C. I have no doubt this thing would be worthless to a great number of us.

My solution was to register Bindi as an ESA (emotional support animal) so she can go where I go.

Come to think of it...we don't even use our A/C while driving since we get off the road when its hot. By lunch we usually call it a day.
It might be different for those who aren't from the desert but all we need is some shade and a little breeze....and we can make our own shade :)

Emotional support animals are not the same as service dogs and are not covered by the ADA.  It's the ADA that allows service dogs to be in businesses with their handlers.  To be a service dog, the animal must be trained to provide a service to the handler.  ESA's provide emotional support by simply being there, thus they aren't trained to provide a service & do not qualify as service dogs.  For handler's relying on service dogs for their health and safety, an untrained dog in a business can present a serious risk, because while service dogs are highly trained, they're still dogs and can get distracted by the actions of another dog.

Long story short, per the law,  ESA's cannot go everywhere with their people, however businesses are too concerned about being sued to ask questions about animals in their businesses.

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Latest posts