Overnight job with a pet in mini-van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbankid12

Reaction score
I been thinking about going onto the road with my pet Chihuahua with the intention of working full-time cause... debt from student loans and I’d want to save money for a home and it be an awesome adventure for both of us. Plus I been secretly thinking about getting a second chihuahua, but not sure just yet.

I have the opportunity to go the west coast and I intend on picking a location that is very coolin temperature any suggestions around sizeable population centers would be helpful but maybe Redding or Portland if not higher inelevation.

In regards to my setup it’s a Honda van I took out much of the panels and floor clear out and put a nice ikea bed in it and gonna see about insulation soon too. I thinking about installing a roof vent fan the one bob recommended I think it’s called a fantastic fan. And a solar panel up there as well to help power it. A nice feature of my van is it has the ability to disable the rear sliding doors so I think I could leave the window open but bolt a wire shelf to the window to prevent theft might even be able to do that on the other side to allow crossbreeze plus blackout curtains on the other windows I think that would be pretty comfortable for her more so since it would be dark so no hot sun.

Plus I’d want a temp sensor in the car so I could monitor the temperature ideally webcam I can view but might be overkill if I have a job I can check on her often at night. Plus not sure if I’d let her have free range or in her kennel probably free range since see loves being under the covers 

I’m a bit worried if I need to disclose all this to an employer or if I just keep it stealth.  I might need to just install a header/ac auto unit and then hook it to a generator that is quite or a battery. 

I will admit I’m not sure if this is all realistic or not but if it can work it would be wonderful!! Plus I would have a dog kennel place and or dog friendly hotel if a snap of bad weather hit or if something broke down, just not everyday since it’s to expensive...

Thoughts suggestions?

And please be kind, I’m just a poor college grad who just wants a nice life with my pet child.

I would not disclose your living circumstances to your boss or to your co-workers either. Work is work, leave it behind and the same is true for your homelife. Be friendly and talk about other stuff besides where and how you live. If it turns out to be a long term job then you can make adjustments to your privacy policy later on after they know and trust you because they have learned you are responsible and dependable.

It is not all that easy for anyone to own a pet and go to work. It is somewhat more difficult in a van but I would assume you are using it to get to work. That means you can go out there to check on the dog during your breaks and at lunch. Night time temperatures are generally cooler.

I think crating a very small dog is OK if it gets regular potty breaks. Crating can be comforting to some small dogs as they feel more secure and protected. The alternative of the dog jumping up and running around at every noise is pretty stressful. So hopefully you do have a quite place to park.

But if it is a temporary job and you must keep it for a while and the dog becomes an issue there are alternatives around. Most of the local humane societies recognize that people have temporary circumstances in which they need assistance. In those situations they help arrange foster family care for the pet and when you are back in a position to take care of your pet again you can get it back in your life.

Thank you for your reply, the job would be ideally for a few years if not the next one would provide I liked it.. my employment history has a few to many shot hops so longer employment would be ideal.