Van step up

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van Lady

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Dodge Ram B3500 Van. It is a very high step up getting into the van. I need some kind of step added, especially at the driver and passenger doors.
I have searched on line and gone to local shops. I keep hearing my van is too old, they cannot help me.
Any help with finding a solution is appreciated.

If you want something interim (or even permanently), I used a small rubbermaid step to get into our van after a knee surgery. I just tied a long thin piece of rope to it and pulled it in after me when I was done. Putting it out while you're in the van takes a little practice, but I got that sorted out quickly.

Be careful if you put a running board on the passenger side.

I used them for years on custom vans and had slipped off of them when they were wet (or my shoes were) several times.

I considered them for my van and then decided to just use a step stool. The running boards aren't a full shoe size wide and are too close to the van. I always had to come out of the van backside out to prevent falling. With the step stool I can enter and exit normally. I do hang on to the door and don't exit the van with an armload. I have knee and hip problems and also have a balance problem so I'm extra careful of how I do things like climbing out of the van. 

I know I'm not supposed to but I grab the steering wheel and give myself a tug to get in on the drivers' side. I'll deal with the loosening of the bolt in the steering wheel if and when it develops. Maybe one of these days I'll get a custom step for on the drivers side.

I have made custom running boards for many of my off road vehicles. I don't see why a van would be any different. I just used some diamond plate steel. Welded how I wanted and then attached them.

Almost There said:
Be careful if you put a running board on the passenger side.

I used them for years on custom vans and had slipped off of them when they were wet (or my shoes were) several times.

I considered them for my van and then decided to just use a step stool. The running boards aren't a full shoe size wide and are too close to the van. I always had to come out of the van backside out to prevent falling. With the step stool I can enter and exit normally. I do hang on to the door and don't exit the van with an armload. I have knee and hip problems and also have a balance problem so I'm extra careful of how I do things like climbing out of the van. 

I know I'm not supposed to but I grab the steering wheel and give myself a tug to get in on the drivers' side. I'll deal with the loosening of the bolt in the steering wheel if and when it develops. Maybe one of these days I'll get a custom step for on the drivers side.

I've test driven a Savana, a Promaster and a Transit.

None of them had any handles to grab onto to get into the drivers seat.
These vans are quite a step up.  If one has any kind of mobility issues, it can be a challenge.
Fortunately I am good but I did have a hurt knee on the last test drive and it was hard getting into the darn thing.

Wondering why the manufactures don't put grab handles inside the door?

TexasWoman said:

i had a related discussion with the ford salesman about that - he said they expect you to use the steering wheel.  i don't like it, but it is what it is.
i was actually asking about a grab handle for the driver's side slider, which apparently isn't standard equipment so i have to add my own, but he thought we were talking about the cab door. still don't know why they don't install a handle for the slider - the mounting holes are there, just like on the passenger side.
i'm still debating whether to put steps/boards on mine, so in the meantime i use a stool just like Queen suggested.

TexasWoman said:

That is weird; even my mid-size SUV had grab handles. It seems like such a simple thing for them to do.

running boards should be available for your van, but like Almost There said most are slippery when wet. they make steps both electric ones that go up and down,(I don't like them) and fixed steps. they make custom fit steps and universal fit steps. highdesertranger

+1 on the Carr Hoops.
I have them on the passenger side doors of my Sprinter conversion.
      Dave

my ford 250 has a grab handle. without it i couldn't get in unless i use the steering wheel. running boards were installed with a textured surface. i think they are giving up grab handles for side air bags.

A good welder can solve many problems.  My 1991 4x4 Ford Ranger was a step up even before I had helper springs added to the rear.  I towed loaded trailers between TX, SD, KY and AL.  I had a bumper mounted hitch ball for these trips.  However when I quit moving 100s of miles with the Ranger loaded and also towing everything I owned I had to make some adjustments. 

Apparently the weight of the loads had kept truck and trailer running level.  When I bought a Viking Pop up  it towed with the rear too close for comfort to the ground.  I checked into reciever hitchs and they cost more than a months rent on my apt., I just didn't have it.  I went to a welding shop and spoke to the owner.  He told me where to buy just the reciever.  He had it welded under my bumper with additional support welded to the frame.  This helped because I could buy the receiver and accessories and pay for the welding at different times therefore spreading out the costs.

Perhaps a welder will be able to fabricate something for you or have an idea of what would work from a salvage yard.  Seems like someone was having a similar problem not to long ago on here.

It's a good step up into my Safari.  Even with running boards.  Balance is a issue too so usually just touching the seat or steering wheel is all I needed.   Now however my little plastic stool is being added.  I think with a string or rope tied "catty cornered" it will be eazier to set it back out to get down.  I'm in a mess now with left inner hip and also left shoulder and neck intercoursed up.  Well at least one side of me is still functioning....mostly  :)

Jewellann

I have a 96 B3500. My wife and I have mentioned a couple of times either I should make some or use those smaller ones that tuck underneath like a Jeep. I just remembered I have some chrome ones from an old Ford explorer. They would be too long for the driver's but one could be nice on the passenger side mainly for getting in and out the side barn doors. I'm going to mock them up in the morning and see how it looks.

I have a Transit. There is a grab handle on the passenger door and the slider but nothing for the driver. I'm fairly nimble but I can see for others it could be dificult to get in and out of. I don't need a step to get into the drivers seat but it would sure be useful on the sliding door. It's a pretty big step up. I don't think I'll even be able to put a step there because I put a gray water tank under the floor there and used up the space where the factory step would be installed.

tx2sturgis said:
The Carr Hoops I mounted on my van and cargo trailer are holding up quite well...three years on the van and one year on the trailer. I am NOT a lightweight either!

They show some compatible steps for Dodge Vans, just scroll on down:

http://www.carr.com/steps/hoop-ii-steps.html

This was very helpful!
The link was great. A step would work fine. I just need a leg up as they say.

Van Lady said:
This was very helpful!
The link was great. A step would work fine. I just need a leg up as they say.

Yep...

They list a phone number so you might call them and ask if they know for sure that those steps will work on your Dodge Van.

This style of step is installed by drilling holes in the underside frame-facing rocker panels, so before ordering you should probably make sure that area is open and accessible. It normally is.

I have a transit and it has running boards with some sort of very rough covering that provides traction wet or not. They are a commercial product although i couldn't tell you where to buy them since my van had them installed when I bought it. I have a torn muscle in my left leg at the moment and I don't have any problem getting into or out of the van from any door except the rear doors.

TexasWoman said:
I've test driven a Savana, a Promaster and a Transit.

None of them had any handles to grab onto to get into the drivers seat.

The PM grab handles are built into the top of the cab:

I don't remember about the others.

Latest posts