Van running boards

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaLvan

Reaction score
We are getting ready to order some running boards for our 2014 Chevy Express to make getting into and out of the van a little easier on our aging bodies.  There are so many options out there - solid, tread, smooth, grip.  Along with width.  Any advice based on your experiences?  I am thinking smooth as perhaps we may sit on it at times as we currently sit in the side door opening to put on shoes and such.  I can't seem to find a measurement of how much of a drop from the van step opening to particular running boards - like what the step height would be.  I have read some complaints in reviews of the board being almost level with the van step, thus not helping reduce distance to the ground, if that makes sense.

If you are boondocking ground clearance could be a problem. I see a lot of newer vehicles that have electrically extended running boards but I don't know how durable they wound be. I have a removable step pinned via a trailer coupler welded to the frame of our vehicle that I install for my wife when we park that works well, The cli[p I use to store it while going down the road stays on my key chain to remind me to remove it after she is in before I start the vehicle so we don't forget and rip it off going down the road.