Van life on a private lot, no dwelling no hookup. Legal challenges?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is True. But I think the real issue is whether the OP is just sporadically camping in a van/tent on the land or is constructing some structural improvements that will be a permanent structural use on the land. Most zoning codes, that I have seen, are not drafted for restrictions on just temporary use on the land short term-- but-- the Government could amend the zoning code and include some new restrictions if someone brings up a new issue or question to the authorities that can change the code. Not an easy thing to answer since all Counties may vary.

T

States/counties undoubtedly vary in how strict their enforcement is, but I'd never recommend trying to fly under the radar. Seen too many sad stories.

If you just approach the planners as a curious person asking for info, you'll get what you need to know.

I have been doing this for ten years smack dab in the middle of a small town for half the year, I live somewhat stealthily in a wooded area by a small river at the back of an empty lot. I park up next to a deck that was a large dock that floated downstream several years back, I built a screened gazebo and a shower room. I use a chemical toilet, I get water every couple of weeks from one of the neighbours. I am not sure what the rules are and I am not about to ask. My van is licence and insured, I am not harming anyone or the environment so it must be perfectly legal. I doubt you will ever have any issues with the animals They will be more afraid of you, after a couple of weeks of sleeping there you will get comfortable.

Latest posts