Van Interior Temperature

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamsack

Reaction score
Hey All,<br>I'd like to know how hot does an inside of a van get during the hotter months of summer?&nbsp; I know that insulated vans, such as passenger vans, probably have better regulated temperature, as opposed to cargo vans.&nbsp; However, if I should park my van in a shady spot in the summer time (in the Southern Cal area), how hot would it get?&nbsp; Any feedback would be much appreciated.<br><br>

In the sun, with the windows rolled up in the sun.&nbsp; Almost enough to fry a burger on your dash board.&nbsp; 140 would not be unexpected.<br><br>In the shade, with the windows down.&nbsp; Tolerable at least.<br><br><br>

<font face="Courier" size="3">Hot!&nbsp; I just helped a friend redo her RV because she'd left it sitting five days with the windows up and the extreme heat had caused the vinyl on her cabinets to start peeling off.</font><br>

yamsack,<BR><BR>Check out this build and read about the way Charlene's van always has shade. Other good tips, too.<BR><B>Sorry, forgot to include the link, so I edited it in.</B><BR><P><A href="http://cheaprvliving.com/Charlene.html" target=_blank target=_blank><FONT size=3 face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">http://cheaprvliving.com/Charlene.html</FONT></A><BR><BR><FONT size=3 face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">(Hint: If you highlight and copy the whole story into a Microsoft Word document, the pictures will not cover up text).<BR><BR>I've done this to all the articles I want to save for reference, as there is a fault with cheaprvliving handling of pictures.<BR></FONT></P>

In direct sunlight with upper windows open and roof vent open the temp will be about 10 degrees hotter than the outside air temp. With the Roof vent fan running the inside temp is within 1 degree of outside air temp. My van has 1 inch of foam insulation under the paneling.<br>

If I have to park my van with the windows up and the top vent closed, it can get 130-140* in there...in a hurry. The vent ( no powered fan) helps lower it by 10-15*, but that still puts it 115-120 inside on a blazing hot day. I leave one side window open about 1/12" whenever possible to create an updraft ( heat rises). I will most likely paint my roof white this fall when I get the chance, as it can lower the temps another 10* on a hot Alabama day.. The bus has a steel outside skin, 1/12" of styrofoam and an aluminum inner skin.
Hope that helps some..
Les

I have a white low top "upfitted" van with three large windows in addition to rear door and side door windows.&nbsp; The walls and ceiling are lightly insulated.&nbsp; All windows in the rear of the van are tinted.<br><br>The high today was 104*, but it was cooler than that when I checked the thermometer.&nbsp; It read 121*.&nbsp; It probably topped out around 130* later in the day.&nbsp; The windshield was covered with a Reflectix sun shade; the driver's side (south) window had a silver pop-up shade on it; one push out door window was open.&nbsp; None of the insulating curtains was closed.&nbsp; The van was parked in full sun.<br><br>At times, I have noted as much as a twelve degree difference between floor and ceiling temps.<br><br>Hope that helps in some way.<br><br><br>Vickie<br><br>

@ VanFan&nbsp;&nbsp; Hi, so the inside of your van got to 130 degrees F.?&nbsp; Are you fulltime stealth camping in your van?&nbsp; If so, how long have you been doing it and are there any issues/problems you've encountered so far?<br><br>I've been asking countless questions just to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into if/when I make the big move to downsize to a van.&nbsp; Thanks a bunch.<br><br>