Van Hasn't Run For 8 Years, Starting It

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you also need to remember is that a desert dweller from the SouthWest is giving opinions on rust.
With all due respect......
They don't have rust and any tiny amount they see often relegates the unit to "rust bucket" status quickly.

I've seen nothing in those photos screaming "trash it!".

Besides..... Pictures are NOT a good evaluation medium either.

You need to find someone local who can come and take a look. Where are you?

My 1993 Toyota pickup is so rusty I can stick my fingers through part of the frame and the lower control arms! It IS RUSTY!!!!!!
I've also stopped driving it.

Calm down, one internet based opinion is certainly cause for concern ..... but not alarm.

Dave

Concern yes, undue alarm, not yet. Get a local body shop to give you their opinion, but to do that you have to get it there...

Again, how much are you in this for?  Can you get back out or are you too deep?  That will guide your next steps. If in too deep, try to get it running and to a shop. You cant sell it for anything if its in the same non-running condition that its in now... If you get it cleaned up with mostly your "free" labor, perhaps you can recoup the parts costs.

You've gotten voices of concern for your safety. That's about all we can do from a few pictures. Even though we are "desert dwellers", most of us have come from somewhere else, so some have seen some very rusted out vehicles.  No one here should tell you "no big deal", that's irresponsible. Yet neither should we be Chicken Little either. Get some more pics and a local opinion.

"Sheena" in 11-14-2015 posted a thread about an older Dodge van with some rust, maybe read it and see if you can track her down. I haven't seen her on the forums recently...

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]11-14-2015, 09:35 PM   How bad is this rust? Driving from Boston to Oakland in January.  [/font]

The rust took the wind out of my sails.

I made a firm decision on a course of action....repeatedly and in different directions. Even considered motorcycle dwelling briefly.

I am in North Carolina, North of Charlotte.

I am not too far into the van to walk away. But it is a bird in the hand. I could be living in it statically by July 4th and out in the world a few months later.

Saving to buy a better van would stretch this out a long time. There are some reasonably priced ones on Craig's List. The mileage scares me. Breakdowns on the road could wipe me out financially and it difficult to live when your house is in the shop.

What is a reasonable amount of miles for a dependable van? This one has 77K. I felt good about that.

I could get one that runs, doesn't need body work or windshield and is already white. That would save a lot.

I don't seem to be sticking to my decisions about the van very long so I think I'll delay it a while. I'll learn about rust, do some work checking out the van, look at prices on Craig's list etc. I'll also think about the cost in time, effort and money. Then when I have a better perspective I'll decide what to do.

I'll post more pictures of the rusty frame. Those sticks grew up through the engine. Had to do some bush whacking to get to it.

What is the "inside" of the frame? If it is rusting where I can't see or get to what could I do about it?

I appreciate the advice on the rust.

I want to move in sooo bad. That doesn't look like it is in the cards anytime soon.

djkeev said:
What you also need to remember is that a desert dweller from the SouthWest is giving opinions on rust.
With all due respect......
They don't have rust and any tiny amount they see often relegates the unit to "rust bucket" status quickly.

I've seen nothing in those photos screaming "trash it!".

Besides..... Pictures are NOT a good evaluation medium either.

You need to find someone local who can come and take a look. Where are you?

My 1993 Toyota pickup is so rusty I can stick my fingers through part of the frame and the lower control arms! It IS RUSTY!!!!!!
I've also stopped driving it.

Calm down, one internet based opinion is certainly cause for concern ..... but not alarm.

Dave

lmao I was thinking the same thing. I've seen vehicles on here called rust buckets that are way better than average. 

hit the rust areas with the krylon rust paint and it'll be all good.....you're not trying the keep the thing for the rest of your life

if you really want to make sure its alright go to harbor freight and get their flux core welder for like $100 and weld some plate reinforcements. It's a junky booger welder but it does have enough heat for decent 3/8" steel.

need to get it running and see whats what,at 77k it should have a darn near new engine/transmission and thats a good start

I suggest all of you go to youtube and watch at least 10 episodes of roadkill :)

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I don't seem to be sticking to my decisions about the van very long so I think I'll delay it a while. I'll learn about rust, do some work checking out the van, look at prices on Craig's list etc. I'll also think about the cost in time, effort and money. Then when I have a better perspective I'll decide what to do.  [/font]

Please understand that we aren't here to pour cold water on your ideas. We just don't want you to spend all of your disposable income on something that may fail you while driving, or be unable to stay aligned, or be a danger. And we can't see it, nor can we verify that the 77K is only 77K, not 177K, or that the motor is not frozen, the tranny not already slipping, all those things that you could tell from a higher mileage but driveable van.

This one has so many challenges for a newbie to auto mechanics that I think it's wise to step back, remove yourself from the emotions of the whole deal, and just think a bit more. 
If you were someone else, could you recommend this van to a newbie with very limited skills and funds?  It's a good idea to check on CL in your "surrounding areas" of the search.

Here's a couple from today, with the "surrounding area" box checked, and a limit of 2,000:

[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]90 Chevy Van - $2000 (Greensboro)[/font][/font][/size]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]1989 GMC 2500 CARGO VAN 2000 FIrm this week only - $2000 (Newberry)[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]1995 ford aerostar van $1000 obo - $1000 (Greenwood)[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]Ford econoline van - $1600 (Spartanburg) (1982)[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]95 Chevy work van - $1700 (Shelby)[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]Work Van - $1650 (1983 Ford v6, $1650)[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]1989 Dodge Ram 350 Van - $1800 (In Charlotte)[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]Blue Astro Van for Sale - $800 (Westminster) (1994)[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]

[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]There were twice as many minivans available for these same prices.  Just ideas for you. Nothing listed above was rusty in pics or descriptions, and I deleted off anything with ridiculous miles.  These vans are running, the descriptions told of some issues but nothing like you are currently facing.[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]

[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif][size=large][font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]Hope this helps you.[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]

this is what bad rust looks like
8644525e-b4e3-1032-b743-4c3114d2dee3r.jpg

659dcf4b-5b3a-11e6-815e-11c196ac9a02r.jpg

Great replys.

It only has 77,000 miles on it. I put about 50,000 of them on it.

All were driving around the country.

Yeah...I'm the one that parked it. But before that I took very good care of it.

The grill damage was from hitting a deer in downtown Davidson NC. It jumped out from behind a SUV.

The rust surprised me because except maybe once in Kansas it was never exposed to salt. I guess the foliage didn't help though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I either totally missed that you were the original owner and had put the majority of the miles on, know about the maintenance, and have full knowledge of the vehicles mechanical condition upon parking it, or you didnt say that originally.

So I go back and reread. First post doesnt seem to indicate previous ownership. Post #13 by OP has what I missed:
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]There is no pavement in my yard and the van pretty much can’t be moved.[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]  [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The ground under it is low and often wet.[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]

This changes things. By the way, parking out in a field/yard that gets wet allows the moisture/condensation to gather under the vehicle, that's why its rusting. Especially since you know it's not road salt.

I feel (a) dumb for thinking that the OP didn't have knowledge of the vehicle's history and also (b) deceived.  I am going to pull out of this, I've already invested way too much energy into researching for the OP.  Good luck with resurrecting your van and happy travels with it.

I'd be thrilled if I could treat the rust and drive it around the country for 2 to 3 years. I would upgrade to a Nissan NV2500 maybe.

Go buy a pick hammer like a welder would use to knock the slag off a weld bead.  It's just a hammer with a point on it hit the areas in question with it if it goes through then you have a problem.  Just beat the hell out of anything that's rusty; maybe pretend it belongs to you mother in law.

This world isn said:
Ok, I either totally missed that you were the original owner and had put the majority of the miles on, know about the maintenance, and have full knowledge of the vehicles mechanical condition upon parking it, or you didnt say that originally.

So I go back and reread. First post doesnt seem to indicate previous ownership. Post #13 by OP has what I missed:
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]There is no pavement in my yard and the van pretty much can’t be moved.[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]  [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The ground under it is low and often wet.[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]

This changes things. By the way, parking out in a field/yard that gets wet allows the moisture/condensation to gather under the vehicle, that's why its rusting. Especially since you know it's not road salt.

I feel (a) dumb for thinking that the OP didn't have knowledge of the vehicle's history and also (b) deceived.  I am going to pull out of this, I've already invested way too much energy into researching for the OP.  Good luck with resurrecting your van and happy travels with it.

Thank you for the help.

I'm sorry you felt deceived.  I probably didn't mention it because I felt ashamed that I created this problem.

I had not opened this thread but when they reach page 6 i get curious.

The 91 has throttle body fuel injection. There are two injectors where carb would usually sit. they are easy to remove anf to clean the fine mesh stainless filter screens upon them.

However I would try to start and run it on throttle body cleaner rather than using the compromised fuel system.

There is a filter sock on the bottom of the intank fuel pump. The dodge TBI systems only produce about 15PSI unlike the 50 PSI of MPFI on the magnum engines. The 'rust' in the tank is likely smeg. Cleaning them might prove difficult with internal baffling, but I never took much of a look inside when I had mine dropped.

That is a 8 3/8 rear axle, but often called the 8.25. If there is wetness seeping from where driveshaft joins that is a bad pinion seal, and not good, if it is just leaking from the 10 cover bolts that is not so big a deal to rectify.

These transmissions are VERY pick as to the ATF they use. Use ONLY ATF+4. A pan drop gets about 4 quarts, the total capacity is about 12 quarts. Install a drain plug in transmission pan to make refreshing fluid much easier and faster. use a transmission filter that comes with a rubber gasket, not cork.

There really could be so many things that could be an issue at this age, and years of sitting, but if you have the tie and wherewithall to attend to them, and the frame rust is not so bad as to be a deal breaker, it can be revived into a reliable machine, but it will be frustrating and overwhelming at times.

The engine might be a real oil burner if the cylinder walls rusted. There are some inexpensive borehole scopes than can hook to a smartphone to check out the insides of them.

If you do get it up and running, then getting it running well so it gets its expected fuel economy might ba an issue too. There is an 02 sensor on the drivers side manifold. Replace it with an NTK, do not use Bosch. the coolant temp sensor also plays a big role in mPGS. I recommend replacing it as i;ve had some test within spec, but their replacement still improved MPGs.

The engine computer also has known issues with the weight of the wire bundles fracturing the solder connections on circuit board which can lead to intermittent stalling and no restarts, only to have it appear fine some time later. Lots of parts might be thrown at this issue.
With key to on one can wiggle these wire bundles and of one hears relays click on and off then this is a problem, that can be temporatrily fixed by using Zip ties to hold wires in a certain position, but a true fix is resoldering or replacement.

I don;t really know at what point it could be decided whether to delve deeper or scrap it. The frame rust pics are not conclusive in my opinion.

I was waiting for SW to pop in on this one!
All my Dodge exp. is late60s-mid70s.models. :cool:

after reading about the grass and weeds i wouldn't put any money in it, your gonna have to redo your brakes, and i mean the whole sys. prolly gonna have to buy a new radiator, bet your gonna need a new heater core, shocks, do we want to talk about ball joints, tie rods, ALL new hoses, anything rubber, a new grill,,,,this is just my opinion, if i had a choice between that van or a bicycle and a trailer, i would go bicycle, to get this running right your gonna spend a bunch of money, as much if not more then if you took the money and bought a runner you WILL save money over trying to get this running.

Wandering Giraffe said:
Frame and  Horn Rust Pics...
Pictures are too big, I'll work on that

Attachments

• 20170620_154430.jpg
    20170620_154430.jpg
    759.7 KB
  • 20170620_154453.jpg
    20170620_154453.jpg
    703.8 KB
  • 20170620_154827.jpg
    20170620_154827.jpg