Van dwelling with tent

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chancebond

Reaction score
I was wondering if living in a van is fine, along with you sleeping in a small tent, that is only used for sleeping. How it would work,nand if you've ever thought of it before. It definitely would save a lot of space!

Would make it much harder, if not impossible, to stop overnight at Walmarts, Truck Stops, etc.

Major PITA to set a tent up in the rain.

Stealth urban stays totally imposible.

Lot of negatives to such a system.

Keeping a small tent in your van is a good idea because it provides a lot of options. I think that you should still have the van set up for your main sleeping area but a tent can be used as emergency shelter if your van is in the repair shop. It can also be used for overnight guests and as a storage area while long term boondocking on public land.

One of my next purchases will be a tent I had never seen before called a TailVeil .While it wouldn't be for stealth camping it is for me a perfect solution for other camping. :blush: Please google it as I don't know how to post a link. The whole set up goes over the open tailgate and around the bumper with no poles just 4 corner stakes for the 8 foot square base.With the rainfly in place you have privacy to sponge bathe,change clothes,use your potty etc.I also see it as extra space for my kitties to roam.I'm also going to get some sort of weights for the corners if I'm camping on a surface that is to hard to pound the stakes into or very windy days. Any opinions or anyone ever used one?

I carry an Ozark-Trail-6-Person-Instant-Dome-Tent. When I get to my camping spot, I can set the tent up next to the van to keep anyone else from parking right next to me.  I don't sleep in it, although I could.  The van is just so compfy.  I set up a table next to it, and some lawn chairs, and play guitar.  I can put my junk in the tent, and if I want to go somewhere, the tent helps keep my camping spot for me.  The tent makes shade for me to sit in, or I can actually sit in the tent.

But, I may need to get a small, beach type tent.  Some festivals I go to are "walk-in", you park in the parking lot and carry all your junk in.  No golf carts, so these type festivals have a much younger crowd.  I figure I can walk in with a little beach tent, the kind you just throw and it's set up, a lawn chair, a small cooler, and a bag of toys (harmonicas, ukulele, etc).  I won't sleep there like everyone else, I'll just have my spot claimed.  I can sit there, drink beer, get out of the sun, then walk back to the van to sleep, get more beer, etc.

I have had the older version of the Ozark Trail Jr. for over a decade. Small, light(under 3lbs) and takes minutes to setup.

Works for me and takes up only a little more space than a pair of pants. Aside from the obvious uses I figured I can use it as a "shed" or maybe "mud room" whenever I start boondocking with my van.

I'd never seen that TailVeil before http://www.tailveil.com/ - that's the first thing I've seen that would help make those pod trailers with the kitchen in the back not quite so ludicrously impractical in a mere drizzle.

I like that TailVeil. It would be a nice option for my minivan when camping! It has a rainfly too. I will need to show it to my buddy who has a wee Teardrop TT with the rear lift kitchen door.

I wonder if there's an equivalent for a cargo van with regular rear doors? Something tall enough to cover or fit into the entire doorway area somehow.... Would be a great way to air out the van while enjoying some mosquito-free outdoor time.....

Don't know if you can buy them, but I definitely plan to make one for myself when the time comes. I was stewing on ways to do it just a couple of weeks ago. I would make a screen and a canvas version.

ganchan said:
I wonder if there's an equivalent for a cargo van with regular rear doors? Something tall enough to cover or fit into the entire doorway area somehow.... Would be a great way to air out the van while enjoying some mosquito-free outdoor time.....

Here ya go, this page is set up for my 2002 Savana, so you'll have to play with it to get a fit for your van.

http://www.autoanything.com/truck-tents/61A3877A0A0.aspx

I have an idea for creating a lightweight cover with screening for the back doors on my van. I don't need a full size tent out there but I hate that when the doors are open, rain comes in and lands directly on the floor, a long time design fault!!

I second tonyandkaren, I would rather sleep off the ground in my fixed bed, but keep a one person tent for those times or places I need to put one up. Options!

I have a TailVeil, and was not too impressed with it. One of the necessary tie down loops was missing (not sewn in), and the thing was not mosquito proof. I also felt weird with the rear hatch open at night (right next to my bed), I prefer it being closed.

I think bringing a tent to sleep in would be a bad idea for all of the reasons mentioned. However, bringing a tent to use for other stuff is a great idea. We have a 6-person cab tent we'll be bringing with us just for extra space to lounge, change clothes, etc.

I always bring an 8x8 ez-up and I'm thinking of adding walls to fashion a free standing tent/ extension room. The ez-up is big and bulky though.

Latest posts