Van Dwelling and Car Lot work

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltySeaWitch

Reaction score
Gsfish asked me about this today so I want to give him credit for thinking of others. I had already been thinking about posting info about it but  he prompted me to do it now. So, everyone say thanks to Gsfish :)

Here is an idea for making money on the road. Go to small car, boat or RV dealer lots and apply for a detailing position. Ask if you can park your van somewhere on the property. I would advise independently owned smaller places because your large dealerships are going to have  insurance liability issues with you parking there (but you can try).

You can pick up detail jobs probably in any town large or small. I am in a real small town and we only pays $7.50 an hour but it's cash money, paid every week. My boss's brother rented an RV from him and lived behind our car lot and worked as the detailer for several years. He was charged but I would say most owners would let you stay free with your own rig, especially if you have solar and won't be using electric from the business. I'm sure my boss would let me stay free in my own rig if I didn't need electric and water but I live just down the road and can live in my own driveway so I don't need too. Point is, car lots usually need help. I think most owners would be fine with parking on site it as long as you have a clean record, driver's license, and look somewhat respectable. 

Just pull into car lot and ask if they need a detailer. I would say most will pay $8 to $10 hour. Not much, but if you add a free spot to park then it's not bad. Most will also pay you straight cash. Having someone stay on the lot is also extra security for the car lot. You will need a driver's license, and no record, especially of theft which will make them not want you there due to risk of you stealing tools and stuff. Some may pay by the car but Idk how many do that anymore. If so, that is the deal to take but plan on 4 to 5 hours for average cars and all day for dirty ones and make sure they are paying you enough.

If you freelance, you can make up to a couple hundred per car, but you are going to need a place to detail, a business license, and probably liability insurance in case you ruin someone's car. Better just to get a job somewhere already insured. Besides, you will be moving on and a business like that takes time to build. Should you ever like a place and want to settle down though, detailing is a low start up cost business. Rent an empty gas station lot or space from a car lot. Live and work right there.

My detail guys/gals wash and detail cars, jump dead batteries, move cars, grab keys for me if I get busy, tighten battery cables, put gas in cars, and just things I need done. Some places may just have you detail cars but small lots will usually want you to be a little bit handy as in the stuff above. I would say go for small lots because again, large dealerships will have liability issues letting you live in your vehicle on site.

I don't think being a van dweller will limit these kinds of jobs. Yes, you will be leaving. Just be honest about what type of time commitment you can make and most will be ok with it. If you are uncomfortable asking to live on site during interview, start the job and sleep somewhere else until you get a feel for how they would feel about you parking there. Then just ask. All they can say is no.

Honestly, in the South, like here where I live, people would tell you that you can stay in their yard and make you feel welcome. It's how we are. That's that Southern hospitality you hear about and it's true in most smaller towns in the South imo. I offered the last guy who detailed a place to live because he was just a kid and needed a hand up. That's how I am if a person is honest and needs help. Today, I sold a truck and the couple invited me to their wedding and I am going cause it sounds like fun. They were a super cool couple and who doesn't like cake?? :heart: :cool: I sold a car to an elderly couple last week and they called to see if I wanted some breakfast or coffee on their way to town the other day. Be good to people and they will be good to you (in most cases). :cool: We don't have much free land to boondock on around here but we do have nice people who live out in the country and will often INSIST you park at their house.

I would love to hire a van dweller (male or female) and in fact, for as long as I am here, if you want to come to East TN and need a job, PM me. I'm sure I will need you sooner or later.  I think it is very possible to get jobs at lots if you are honest and present yourself as clean and trustworthy. If you have more questions just ask. I don't mind at all. My only requirement is a drivers license, no theft records, no drug problems, and don't be lazy. And don't make me look bad to my boss for hiring you please. I am picky about a clean car because I have to be able to sell it and contrary to the used car salesperson image, I care very much about my customers and do my best to get them the best car I can. That's why I get invited to weddings and get free food  :angel: The job isn't hard except it's hot in summer and cold in winter and I get to watch Netflix or be on CRVL while you work because I don't get paid by the hour like you would be :p . I do help you a lot even though I don't have to. As for you living on site, I have to clear that with the owner but I am sure it could be done, if not immediately, once he sees you are trustworthy (he will ask me about you). I have someone now but he is working as a temp til he gets back to work on his regular job so I will have an opening in the possible near future. If not, I can probably find you some work nearby. It's all about who you know in small towns here. As an added bonus, act now and you can help me fix my bus while you are here. I mean perks like that just don't come around every day lol.

Anyway, hope this helps someone.

SSW, great post. And thank you Gsfish.

As a youngster I traveled in the summer and earned/paid my way doing detail work for used car lots down the east coast. Back then it was $17.50 a car. On occasion, when I had a couple easy ones, I managed 3 in a long day. Not bad money for a 16 yr old. (and yes there were some days that I labored to finish just one).

I can appreciate what can be paid by car lots today for the same detail work. It really hasn't changed much since I was a kid nor should it. If anything its easier. Vehicles have better paint, more plastic and no chrome.

As to the South, nothing beats the tradition of real honest (rural) southern hospitality. I do steer clear of the big cities. :D

Matlock said:
SSW, great post. And thank you Gsfish.

As a youngster I traveled in the summer and earned/paid my way doing detail work for used car lots down the east coast. Back then it was $17.50 a car. On occasion, when I had a couple easy ones, I managed 3 in a long day. Not bad money for a 16 yr old. (and yes there were some days that I labored to finish just one).

I can appreciate what can be paid by car lots today for the same detail work. It really hasn't changed much since I was a kid nor should it. If anything its easier. Vehicles have better paint, more plastic and no chrome.

As to the South, nothing beats the tradition of real honest (rural) southern hospitality.  I do steer clear of the big cities. :D

It's not a bad gig. I may try to find a small place to sell cars at if I plan to be in an area for a while. That could be another option. I've detailed boats before too, the pay is usually better for those and they are not as dirty as the interior of some used cars. I prefer working outside in warmer areas. Never have been a desk person. Can't sit still. 99% of the cars we get are not really bad to clean. I tell people to clean them before trade in for best price which is true. That makes less dirt my detail person has to deal with as well.

I agree about the Southern hospitality, and rural areas. Avoid Memphis at all costs if you come to TN. It's gotten really bad with crime. I don't even like Knoxville. I don't go there unless I have no other choice. Too crowded. Different world. No thanks. :D

I used to clean boats at dealerships, new and used. Been years so I forgot the pay scale but it was good at the time.
Marinas are a good place to find work also. Find outthe local going rates and put out the word you will work by the foot (length). Things like flying bridge pay a little extra. Usually you bid on exterior and interior of cabin cruisers as separate deals.
Lots of "wax on, wax off" but it's mostly smooth flatwork that goes fast.

RV cleaning also pays by the foot. You will need a business license and maybe liability insurance depending on state/area but good $$$.

I was making $30 a car just over a year ago, at a shop where they charged the dealers around $200 per car which was good because the system they used slowed everything down, what should have been a 2-3 hour detail winds up being 5-6. It's not bad work at all but my back couldn't take it long term. Unrestricted and left on your own with good equipment(very few dealers have a $5k hotsy but some do) you can easily knock out 3-6 cars in a day that are spotless, waxed, shampooed and ready to go. Some dealers and shops don't care and will put out "detailed" cars that were just rinsed off and vacuumed but around here it seems most dealers are getting tired of hiring people that don't work so resort to paying 3rd party detail shops, who about 5% of the time screw up and miss something and have to redo a car.

Pretty much every dealership is always looking for new salespeople that sell more if you are one of those with a nack for it. Actually now that I think about dealers will often hire travelling salespeople or sales teams, who stay for a couple weeks move some units while trying to train the dealer's people to sell better.

Those are large dealerships who might have a training person do that. I personally do not like working for them Very cut throat and tough business. I prefer small, independent, lots having worked for both types.