Van Dodge Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LERCA

Reaction score
Year: 2002 
55,000 miles original owner was grandpa has old California plates so I kind of believe. Passed California emissions for the next year.
Looks new inside (well kept or really not driven)
New tires, brakes, tune up. AC/heat work
It’s not in California- 369 mile drive one way
I called a local mechanic who doesn’t do Dodge who recommended another mechanic. 

They want $7,000. (in Los Angeles that’s a giveaway)
Is it worth it to go out there and have a mechanic take a look? I’ve been looking daily for two years locally and there’s nothing.
Any thoughts? thanks

Extended length? 

High top?

Half, 3/4 or 1-ton? 

Cargo or passenger?

Rust?  

$7000 is quite a bit more than the book value of a B3500 Maxi-van passenger (the most expensive model).

I have no comment as to the worth involved, but when I started looking for a van a few months back all the vans I was finding were at least an hour or two driver away. Too far really for me unless i was certain I wanted to take it home and i found sellers not very helpful.
Finally I came across a great van 10 minutes from home, 97 with 62K miles.
Needs some $.05 & $.10 work due to age, and cosmetically not the greatest, but runs great.

slow2day said:
Extended length? No

High top? No  I’m now 5’2” so not as big an issue as for others. I fit in spaces and can almost stand in others that few can. Would love a high top but I’m in an abusive situation I need to get out of as soon as possible.

Half, 3/4 or 1-ton?  Half

Cargo or passenger? Passenger 

Rust?  Don’t know until I have it inspected 

$7000 is quite a bit more than the book value of a B3500 Maxi-van passenger (the most expensive model).
I don’t know. Was looking at miles and the prices were the same for vans with 3-4 times this one. And they were trashed. This looks new. Need a mechanic to take a look. For me most important is how safe and well maintained it is since I can’t do my own work.

Hi Lerca.
The only thing I can add is that due to a massive miscalculation on my part I had to buy a pu truck in a hurry back in June. It was a V8 2002 with a lot of miles. It is holding up really well.
For me I am not allowing age or miles to be a deciding factor anymore.
Things go wrong it is true. I have had the coolant puke out first time out and it now leaks some oil but overall I can't complain. Just my 2 cents. My very best wishes.

Thanks. Yes my Hondas (and even better, Toyota’s) have held up incredibly) Not a penny except routine maintenance and normal aging (timing belt over 60,000 miles, brakes I live in a steep hilly area etc) But I don’t know what to look for before driving 700 miles round trip on a bad back. There just is nothing here.
It could be a fantastic buy. I have my car up for sale. My dog hates it and it’s just too small. I’ve already lived in it.
Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Since you are 5’2” would a pick up with a tall topper work? They might be easier to find.

You need to make sure the van wasn't a "sitter" and that the low mileage wasn't just for short trips less than 5 miles at a time. A lot of times the catalytic converters go bad on vehicles that are only driven short distances and only once in a while. I once made the mistake of buying a "sitter" and regretted it, ended up giving it away because no one would buy it with a bad CC.

Never driven a pickup for very long and it was a challenge. It’s something to think about though. I had only thought about vans. Only good thing for me is that I can fit in smaller spaces. Bad thing I’m not that strong and believe it or not it can get tiring controlling a larger vehicle. Even my SUV compared to my mother’s Accord is harder.
Shoot, never thought that grandpa might not have driven it very much. But a mechanic should know right?

What did you find challenging about driving the pickup truck?
Most likely a full size van isn't going feel much different driving wise.

Edit: price is down to $6,000. It’s about a 6 hour drive for me to take a look at it.

When I drove a pickup it was all over the road. For me anyway. I drove a van when I was young and worked for an after school program. Picked up the kids from various schools every day. No problem with the van. I was about 21 then.

It was more controllable. The pick up was really old and I was in my mid-40’s. Not sure if any of this is applicable. Of course I can learn and it will get easier.
I also have a bad spine which can affect my neck and arms a little besides my back.

If you're serious about it, you may want to make a trip down and take it for a drive, van's and pickups aren't very different mechanically and can handle very much the same.
That way you could either take it to a mechanic, or meet a mechanic to look at plus good opportunity for any questions you may have.
The pickup you drove sounds like it had a worn out steering box, and the van was probably in decent shape.

Sorry to hear about your situation, it sucks having to find something in a pinch.

AAs to bad back arms and neck. driving comfort in a vehicle is fairly unpredictable as each person ihas a unique set of issues with their body. but it would be best for you to choose a vehicle with an adjustable dterring cvolumn anscseats that have adhstable lumbar support.  That will give you a much greater chance of being able to put in longer hours of drive time.
Seat height is another facctor and onebthayt is less likely to be adjustable other than on some high end models. As to van seats sometimes people change them out for aftermarket seats or seats from other makes and models. So yhere is some flexabilty if yoy find ascreaming hot deal but the only thing wrong is the seats do not work for you.

I'm wondering how you will get it back the 6 hour drive if you buy it.

Take a friend with you, and treat it like a road trip (practice) that regardless if you buy it or not, you had fun. If he just dropped the price $1000, he was obviously fishing, so offer him $5000 dependent on mechanicals being good.

LERCA said:
Edit: price is down to $6,000. It’s about a 6 hour drive for me to take a look at it.

When I drove a pickup it was all over the road. For me anyway. I drove a van when I was young and worked for an after school program. Picked up the kids from various schools every day. No problem with the van. I was about 21 then.

It was more controllable. The pick up was really old and I was in my mid-40’s. Not sure if any of this is applicable. Of course I can learn and it will get easier.
I also have a bad spine which can affect my neck and arms a little besides my back.
well at $7,000 you said it was a giveaway and he is still dropping price something seems wrong. unfortunately, i find most people
are really not honest about the shape of the vehicles they are selling. good luck!

I have previously purchased out of state. After deciding to purchase the vehicle I had the seller help me by taking it to a local storage yard where I paid for a long enough time that I could get back there to pick it up. A friend went along with me for that second trip. Of course things are a bit more complicated at present for finding someone who can share a ride.

I would have flown and rented rented a car both cheap options-only a 6 hour drive. I’ve decided finally unless I can afford a nearly new vehicle I will just buy property to live on. I have several autoimmune conditions and the heat/humidity is making me bedridden in our 6 month summers.

I’m ready to make a change to snow. Since I don’t have to work I won’t mind. I have lifelong Angeleno friends who moved to snowy climates happily. Including Maine where my parents lived.

I can always spent part of the winter in the west if it’s too cold. I’m saving to get my car more comfortable.

If you don’t know what you’re doing it’s pretty stupid to buy something. But thanks for all the good advice.