Super High Mileage?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VeganNomad58

Reaction score
Hi! I've found an ambulette, or non-emergency medical transport, that's a high top Ford E150 with a wheelchair lift in the back. The has been very well maintained, but it has about 460k miles. The are asking $4k in California. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I plan to use it for local trips, then full time for 6 months next year.[/font]

Carfax shows excellent pattern of maintenance and they have all the records for me.  It has a rebuilt engine (not sure when), a new front end, and the whole brake system has been done including a new rotor. I have to drive about 2.5 hours to see it and will pay a mobile mechanic about $150 to evaluate it.

Am I going down a slippery slope here? Have any of you gotten a high mileage van, for better or for worse?

Thanks! Lulu

Forgot the year:2007 Ford Econoline E-150, 5.4-L V-8 SOHC 16V with about 460,000 miles

In my opinion and I am no expert to say.. but I would never consider purchasing a vehicle with that many miles..

Unless:
1. You are prepared to put a new engine it is soon
2. The frame and body are in top notch condition..
3. If like you said all other mechanics are good..

Is it possible to get another 100,000 out of that engine.. sure of course.. but not likely in my opinion..

If you go ahead with the purchase. Make a plan ASAP to have the funds to replace the engine.

No run away, don't do it. red flags.

Lots of miles
rebuilt engine? not knowing when or by who is a red flag. many many rebuilders use the cheapest parts and cut every corner possible. Warranty?
New front end? what does that mean?
complete brake job but they only replaced 1 rotor? another red flag. with brakes anything you do to one side you do to the other. so it should have gotten two rotors minimum.
What about the transmission?
Car Fax only tells you what has been reported. very few shops report to Car Fax. The date the engine was replaced should be on the Car Fax.
Car Fax is seldom 100% accurate.
Plus it's a E150

I would stay away.

Highdesertranger

Lets see, remove the heavy wheelchair lift, maybe replace an engine soon, probably a transmission, and maybe the rear end....all unknowns and possible.

Offer 2 grand and have 10 grand in savings for possible repairs.

Or, keep looking. (that would my choice)

I can't answer without knowing more specifics. Who and when the rebuild was done is important. Then there are a ton of variables. If all you can spend right now is 4K and this is the kind of vehicle you want then it becomes attractive.

If it costs 10K for a nice one and you do not have that it all becomes moot. If I look at it as the mechanic gave an all good (he can check compression and so on) and you realize you may have some upkeep and you can do that, then it becomes a valid option.

Most any van with over 300,000 miles gets put in the back yard on blocks to use for storage till it rusts out in Kentucky! Lol!!! $4,000 is a lot to spend for temporary storage.

You'd do better to get a newer used minivan with low mileage.

yea while 'this company who could easily afford ALL the replacement costs to keep this in service' for their company, even they DREW the line knowing the next costs would be alot bigger vs. the use of the van so they are putting it out there for the next person to pay......don't be the one who pays this!

too high miles.

SO MANY great options out there...take your time :)

Even if the powertrain is fine, lots of smaller things will start failing.

MrNoodly said:
Even if the powertrain is fine, lots of smaller things will start failing.

This! Even if the engine was just replaced, with that many miles you're likely to get nickeled and dimed to death on smaller stuff. And there's a lot of other "smaller things" that won't be so small on the wallet.
I scoff at people bragging about vehicles getting 500k or miles easy. That's fine and dandy for the engine, but the rest is falling apart! Lol

I'm with y'all. Several points I had thought of, but some I hadn't. I passed on it. Thanks all!

So, the story ended with my running in the opposite direction. I ran the carfax, the mileage was listed at 460k back in April and it had been in service since then. Noooo thanks! I appreciate the tips, you brought up things I hadn't thought of and will apply to future searches.

smart move VN58, plus as much as we want to 'buy now' it is smart to wait cause the best vehicle will walk in front of you and when it is there...BUY! great options are out there :)

I know how those things are treated during their “professional” life. Hard no.

That is some high mileage for sure.

More than from the earth to the moon and back (at lunar perigee).

Guy

:s I’m a newbie urban stealth overnight Parker in The Los Angeles Harbor area and I have found so many great places to stealth park! I’m in a 2020 Express extended van with 400 watts solar and 2000 watts Pure sine. I’m going to miss my home right here where I was born and raised. I have taken as many precautions as possible. This gypsy-nomad life is funded by renters in my house. House paid off-van and all of it’s contents paid off-oh one last thing-who is great at installing insulation?

MadJack7$ said:
:s I’m a newbie urban stealth overnight Parker in The Los Angeles Harbor area and I have found so many great places to stealth park! I’m in a 2020 Express extended van with 400 watts solar and 2000 watts Pure sine. I’m going to miss my home right here where I was born and raised. I have taken as many precautions as possible. This gypsy-nomad life is funded by renters in my house. House paid off-van and all of it’s contents paid off-oh one last thing-who is great at installing insulation?

Instead of posting in a thread asking about a van with high mileage, you'd get better answers searching, or starting your own thread under Insulation.

https://vanlivingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33