Van Dimensions Sticky

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh my gosh, I literally was just googling this and couldnt find anything, so i decided to look here, and here it is!synchronisity!!!  :heart: :D

akrvbob said:
Glad we had what you needed Morningstar.
Bob

Bob,
        I recently got interested in all of this & purchased a van.  I'm going to give it a shot part-time.
The van I have is a [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]2001 Chevy G3500 Extended Express Van (the same as yours).[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I'm in the NYC suburbs (Long Island) and the seller drove it here from Oregon (grad student now in NYC).[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The van is an empty canvass at this point and seems to be in good shape (I hope).[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]My question is since you have the same vehicle, I'm wondering how you set yours up?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I watched a lot of your excellent videos but maybe there is one that you've already done on this that I missed?[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Have you ever filmed a tour of your van?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Thanks[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Gypsyboy[/font]

No, video on my van. It came with a shelf unit behind the drivers seat and a shelf unit at the back on the passenger side. So all I did was build a bed on the drivers side wall between the shelf unit and the back door. I also put in a 4 drawer Sterilite plastic drawer between the side door and shelf unit in bak. Nothing to see really.
Bob

Excellent Cindi.   I think we need one spot with all the Cargo Vans of the last 20 years (at least) with these dimensions archived.  Thus those who are wanting to design with them could have access without having to
find such a Van and measure it to get all the spec's.

When Dad and I first got into Vans, I was a kid trying to help,  he would get these Van Magazines where plan sets were sold for laying out plywood flooring and wood paneling of the interior & ceiling so you could insulate behind it.  Generally these were rolled up paper templates to use to trace onto the materials and cut out with a jig saw.
It covered all makes and model sizes.

I would think that today that if someone would want to pursue such an industry again that they could sell templates and pre cut insulation kits.  This could go a long ways towards helping those without much tooling
or skills to prep a Van for the road.   I'm sure the advances in materials and tech would add value to new offerings in this market.  Even for those who would want to work at assisting in Van prepping, they could 
make a small business of  it.  Carpentry, wiring, sewing, upholstery, and textile & decore skills would be useful.  With the growth of interest in Van Living now this could be a viable enterprise just  as it was in the early 70's. 

6fc4054c8adec84b714071d0c32fa6aa.jpg

In the past Vans were customized for mobile party wagons on date nights but now it seems these are becoming the new Homes on Wheels for many of the same 70's people.

accrete
Would you happen to have the CURVE at the top of the walls to the ceiling on that? I've ordered the T350 LWB (148") and HR EL (extended length) and want to begin formulating the above the window space.

Here are some other dimensions on that Ford Transit

Floor steel to bottom of window steel edge: 31 1/2".
Bottom Wall flat area: 21 3/4 maybe +1/16".
Lip (into interior) height: 1 3/4" (vaguely)
Indentation to window: rest of it (31.5 - 1.75 - 29.75)
The window is painted black inside the steel edge so you do not see steel from outside.
Glass height between steel (driver side slider area): 25 5/8" (measured on Med Roof, same as High Roof).
Top of glass from floor: about 57 1/8".
Floor rib height: 7/16".

Issues to consider, also:
In the C pillar between windows, at floor, the frame extends into the interior somewhat significantly. Just below window in the port C pillar there is a little bump into interior which can mess up cabinet framing.

DrJean, you mean the vertical part of the wall above the windows, or the curve of the ceiling in that area? I can get a picture of specific locations on my high roof extended Transit. I'm fairly certain the area above the windows is vertical/flat until it hits the ceiling arches

Attachments

• interior-fit-guide-gmc-chevy-full.jpg
    interior-fit-guide-gmc-chevy-full.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 96
For those using SketchUp, some vans have reasonable 3D models

D'oh! why do I always read 'Savanna' as 'Safari?' jeez, I'm no help at all  :blush:

How come none of the Grand caravan owners have supplied dimensions? C'mon guys, post it up
Or did I miss that?

Anyone have roof dimensions? Specifically interested in the Chevy Express/GMC Savana and E150, E250, E350 models

Thanks, Bob. Great help for us who measure things off in real feet, as in L and R!

Here's a document (11 pages of tables, diagrams and text) that compares dimensions and capacities of  Dodge Sprinter van models. The small print says:

©1995-2005 DaimlerChrysler  

so its probably a 2005 document but since so many people are looking at older used Sprinters, it can help. It helped me, anyway, because I needed to get a concise comparison.

http://www.landjet.com/sprinter/sprinter_model_info.pdf

accrete said:
Ford full size Transit...

The LWB-E HR is our current top pick for Van V2.0 with about 14ft of floor space behind the seats.
We will be putting our current AWD van conversion up for sale at some point as we just need a wee bit more room now that we sold our tiny 15ft fiberglass trailer we were towing behind the van.

: ) Thom

Thanks for the dimensions post on the Transit.  I have put this one back into consideration (planning a build for the first time!) since I want a gas engine, taller roofline; it also looks to be bigger than the Chevy Express / GMC Savana I had been considering.  The Chevy would require a high top installation to be tall enough for me to stand in (an important consideration for me) but adding one is SO expensive!  Since this post is older, have  you completed your Transit build? Have you been happy with the vehicle?

https://www.americanvan.com/skin/fr...interior-fit/interior-fit-guide-nissan-nv.jpg

Here is from the same aCAD files as posted earlier for Nissan NV (3500) high roof; EXCEPT they have 66 inches tall on the drawing, and it is 76 inches tall on the inside (with naked floor and roof.) I get my bulkhead partition next week and will then do a thorough correction if required (not including low top NV measurements, which should vary in tallness only.)