Van Dimensions Sticky

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akrvbob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been suggested that we create a thread that only has different dimensions of vans as a reference base. I think that's a good idea so I'm setting it up.

The idea is simple, just take a tape measure and write down basic dimensions of your van, car or SUV. For it to work we need to know all about the van, car or SUV. Here's an example:

Model: Ford E250
Configuration: Sliding side door Cargo van
Year: 1996
Engine: 302 V8
Average MPG: XX MPG
Floor to Ceiling height: XX inches
Back of drivers seat to back door: XX feet, XX inches
Width of side-door opening with both doors open. XX inches
Width of back door with both doors open: XX inches

Comments:

How did you build the bed:
If across the back, how wide is the bed:

I'd like to expand this to include any vehicle you live in, including cars and SUVs. With those it's most important to know how you built the bed and it's dimensions. All the information you can give to help others will be appreciated!

Because this is a REFERENCE THREAD I'm going to be strict about DELETING any posts that aren't helpful for reference purposes.
Bob

Model: Dodge B250

Year: 1991

Engine: 318 V8

Average MPG: 15.5 MPG (highway)

Floor to Ceiling height: 54" (at center)

Back of drivers seat to back door: 9' - 3" (w/driver's seat all the way back)

Width of side-door opening with both doors open. 49.5" (w/door stays detached)

Width of back door with both doors open: 49.5"

How did you build the bed: Lengthwise behind the driver's seat (34" x 75").

Model: Toyota Previa
Configuration: Minivan with one sliding door and rear hatch
Year: 1991
Engine: 4-cylinder 2.4 liter
Average MPG: 19 mpg city, 20-21 mpg highway
Floor to Ceiling height: 48"
Back of drivers seat to back door: 7 feet 4 inches
Width of sliding door opening with door open: 36 inches at narrowest, 38 inches at widest (slightly irregularl shape)
Width of back hatch with hatch open: 52 inches

Comments:

How did you build the bed: Not yet! Will update when finished with build.
If across the back, how wide is the bed: Not yet! Will update when finished with build.

Model: Mitsubishi l300 wagon, low roof, SWB
Configuration: Sliding side door passenger (mini?)van with rear climate control
Year: 1987
Engine: 2.4L L4
Average MPG: TBD
Floor to Ceiling height: 47 inches center, 44" side
Back of firewall to back door: 7 feet, 7 inches
Width of side-door opening with door open. 38 inches
Hatch opening width: irregular 49-53 inches

Floor width in front of wheel wells: 59 inches
Floor width at wheel wells: 41 inches
Width at top of wall/bottom of headliner: 49 inches
Exterior:
Height w/o roof rack: 71 inches
Overall length: 171 inches
Width w/o side mirrors: 68 inches
Wheelbase: 88 inches

Comments:

How did you build the bed: TBD sleeping on floor
If across the back, how wide is the bed: N/A

If my late model Chevy cargo van was still bare bones, I would gladly supply all sorts of measurements. Some important dimensions I needed to know when building out my van, but not mentioned above include:

-interior width at the floor (to exterior walls and to the ribs)
-maximum interior width if it's somewhere other than at the floor (to exterior walls and to the ribs)
-interior width at the top
-interior width at the back
-width between wheels
-length and height of wheel humps and their location relative to the rear of the van
-roof height at the center (to the roof and to the ribs)
-roof height at the side
-roof height at the rear
-location and dimensions of the fuel filler
-location and dimensions of the spare spare tire (if it's inside rather than underneath)
-width between driver and passenger seats
-length from engine cover to rear door
-length, width and depth of the side door foot well, with door closed

I posted the info below a few weeks back before the dimensions sticky was available.

Many of the dimensions are at different heights from the floor to give an idea of the profile of the van sides. After all, this info is used by the shops that make conversions although as with everything, verify before cutting.

Ford has a really good resource at their body builder site. Most years are represented (1997 thru 21015 but not all are complete). Select the year you are interested in and find the vehicle.

The data is pretty comprehensive so scrolling though for the dimensions can be a challenge. You should be able to save the PDF at that point for easier reference.

I found similar data/guides for the GM vans, Sprinter but the Dodge body builder site is dreadful (if you can find one that works) and only seems to cover 05-07 Durangos, Caravans, Dakota's and Rams. Odd there is no van info.

Also no easy way of viewing the Dodge info. A Dodge user forum has comments about how good it is/was. Looks like it went away.

Dodge is the only one to have a copyright page outright forbidding copying and/or distributing the material (probably why it is not available) unless expressly allowed in writing.

The Sportmobile site has a decent layout tool for Ford and Chevy vans. You will need to sign up for the drag and drop design product but well (well, probably) worthwhile.

The PDF files for several types of vans can be accessed through the DYO Cut & Paste Package at the bottom of the page (couldn't find a way to get the direct link for that, must be slowing down).

Anyway, saves trudging though wrecking yards in the dead of winter.

Thanks to Bob for setting this tread up.

And thanks to those that have responded thus far.

Did a bunch of measurements on my van tonite. I cannot claim they are 100% accurate but they are close-ish.

1999 Ford E150

All measurements in inches.

Floor to roof by Slide door ... 51
Slide door from wheel well to handle...56
Slide door "ditch"... 44L X 7.5W
Wheel well hump... 33 long X 9.5 high X 10 deep
Between wheel well and rear wall... 17
Top of roof to bottom of rib... 1.25
Rear door to front of slide door handle... 110
Width across van from just in front of wheel well to just in front of opposite wheel well... 71

Dimensions of a few vans attached

Attachments

• interior-fit-guide-gmc-chevy-full.jpg
    interior-fit-guide-gmc-chevy-full.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 866
  • interior-fit-guide-ford-full.jpg
    interior-fit-guide-ford-full.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 674
  • interior-fit-guide-10-13-transit-connect.jpg
    interior-fit-guide-10-13-transit-connect.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 520
Need to know the year/generation of the GM" and "Ford" vans depicted.  Each generation has different measurements.  Also different wheelbases - short for the early generations, 'standard' and extended for the later generations - BIG differences.

One Awesome Inch said:
Did a bunch of measurements on my van tonite. I cannot claim they are 100% accurate but they are close-ish.

1999 Ford E150

All measurements in inches.

Floor to roof by Slide door ... 51
Slide door from wheel well to handle...56
Slide door "ditch"... 44L X 7.5W
Wheel well hump... 33 long X 9.5 high  X 10 deep
Between wheel well and rear wall... 17
Top of roof to bottom of rib... 1.25
Rear door to front of slide door handle... 110
Width across van from just in front of wheel well to just in front of opposite wheel well... 71

My 2007 Stock standard length E-150 matches those.

Model: Ram Promaster City
Configuration: Tradesman SLT
Year: 2015
Engine: 2.4-Liter Inline 4
Power: Torque 174 ft-lbs. @ 3800 rpm; Horsepower 178 hp @ 6400 rpm
Mileage: 21/29 mpg
Floor-to-Ceiling Height: 52"
Back of Driver's Seat to Back Door: 87"
Rear Side Door Openings: 26"
Width of Back Door Opening: 28"

The 2015 Promaster City is a third-generation Fiat Dobló with beefed-up suspension. You won't find many conversion examples for the Promaster City, as it was just introduced to the US this year, but there are plenty of Dobló conversions to find in your Google search.

Attached are some stats and diagrams by Dodge and Weather Guard. Also attached are rough sketches of the cabinetry and roof solar system for my conversion, but the fine details are being worked out as my buddy, James, and I execute the project, which is under way. We'll have detailed plans drawn up at a later date.

As you can see, I'm converting this minivan to live "out of" rather than "in" – It's less cabin- or house-like and more of a bed with storage beside, underneath and behind. The bed is actually a 10", twin-size memory foam mattress on an IKEA slatted bed base. It's basically the bedding I already have set in a new frame, so I know it's comfortable! But getting a standard-size bed – even a twin – in this little van is a challenge!

Opening the back doors reveals a kitchen and grooming area I call "the chuck" after the chuck boxes we had in Boy Scouts. When camped, the van rear and left side will be covered by a Rhino Foxwing awning.

We just started on the actual, physical conversion last week by installing the vent fans and covers. I hope to be on the road by end of June 2015. Maybe I'll see some of you on the road – and definitely at the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous in January!

Attachments

• 2015_ram_promaster_city_tradesman_slt_low.jpg
    2015_ram_promaster_city_tradesman_slt_low.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Ram_ProMaster_City_Catalog_eBrochure_Page_07.jpg
    Ram_ProMaster_City_Catalog_eBrochure_Page_07.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Promaster_Breakout.jpg
    Promaster_Breakout.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Ram_ProMaster_City_Catalog_eBrochure_Page_23.jpg
    Ram_ProMaster_City_Catalog_eBrochure_Page_23.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Plan 1 - 5-16-15.jpg
    Plan 1 - 5-16-15.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 149
Binxie said:
Model: Ram Promaster City
Configuration: Tradesman SLT
Year: 2015

More attachments ...

Attachments

• Low Storage Areas.jpg
    Low Storage Areas.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Rear Chuck.jpg
    Rear Chuck.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Solar Panels w vents & covers.jpg
    Solar Panels w vents & covers.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 31100-Foxwing-Awning-00.jpg
    31100-Foxwing-Awning-00.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 69
Thanks for the great images. That Ram Promaster City is going to turn out to be nice.

Hi all,
Mine's a 2010 Ford E-350, 5.4L V8. Best mileage so far around 15mpg, but averaging (around town, not on the road yet) about 13.6. 10 feet from rear doors to the back of the front seats. Bed across the back, built high for lots of storage underneath, window to window measurement is 70.5 inches; mattress is 43" X 70" (I'm 5'7", so that works fine for length. Inside height average is 53".

Ford full size Transit...

The LWB-E HR is our current top pick for Van V2.0 with about 14ft of floor space behind the seats.
We will be putting our current AWD van conversion up for sale at some point as we just need a wee bit more room now that we sold our tiny 15ft fiberglass trailer we were towing behind the van.

: ) Thom

Attachments

• Transit_148inch_ext_layout.png
    Transit_148inch_ext_layout.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 2015Transit.jpg
    2015Transit.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 113