Van conversion near complete, but need solar help.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMadTitan

Reaction score
I've got my eye on this kit, and two of these batteries, but I just can't seem to figure out how to tell if they're a good fit, or if it's overkill one way or the other.

I'm also wondering if a smart charger can be used without disconnecting the solar? I would think so, but I'd rather ask a dumb question than fry my setup. Would seem to me to be a pain to have to disconnect everything just to hook up to ac for a little extra juice.

I want to be able to run a 180 watt laptop, a 40w 12v tv, a powered cooler, and some undercar LED's I plan to use for lighting.

Edit: I am aware I'll need a pure sine inverter to run the laptop.

More solar is always good! You probably won't need all that power on a sunny summer day, but when the conditions aren't ideal you'll be glad you have it.

I have a different Morningstar controller and I never disconnect it. It automatically disconnects if the current or voltage goes too high, as it might when my van is running or I'm using my generator. So far so good for the last couple of years.

You can get a 12v adapter for your laptop - should be more efficient than running an inverter.

I ran my lap top with a MSW inverter. My aspire has a external transformer that plugs in.

madTitan, I answered your questions in RED:

I've got my eye on this kit, and two of these batteries, but I just can't seem to figure out how to tell if they're a good fit, or if it's overkill one way or the other.
I have a friend who bought this exact kit and I helped him install it on top of his Chevy Astro minivan. First, everything is top quality, except the controller which is good but not MPPT. My advice is to buy all the solar you can afford so if you can afford it, I'd buy that much.

However, you can put together a 240 system from them for less. You will need a
1) 240 watt Trina panel for $240,
2) A Blue Sky HV (HV is High Voltage because this is a 36 volt panel, the Kyocera 140 is a 18 volt panel) MPPT controller for around $200
3) a digital display for about $90.
4) Then have them put together the wiring, and fuse box. That will probably be another $100 or so.

You will get a single 240 watt panel instead of 2 140 watt panels. And the panel will be from China while the Kyocera 140 is one of the highest-rated panels and it is either from Japan or actually assembled in San Diego. Some Kyoceras are made in the U.S.. But you also get a better controller and it will be MPPT, which you want.

Shipping may be cheaper on the 280 kit because the 140 watt panels can be shipped UPS/FedEx and the 240 Trina has to go Freight. The extra shipping may wipe out your savings. If you stay with the kit, I'd give serious thought to upgrading the controller to a MPPT.

Those are top-quality batteries and will easily last you for 10 years if you treat them right. The price seems a little high but they are as good as you can buy and you pay extra for quality.

I'm also wondering if a smart charger can be used without disconnecting the solar? I would think so, but I'd rather ask a dumb question than fry my setup. Would seem to me to be a pain to have to disconnect everything just to hook up to ac for a little extra juice.

I assume you are asking if you can use a battery charger to charge the batteries from a 110 wall socket or from your generator. You want to do that while the solar is installed and charging also. YES! You can! I do it all the time and there are no issues.

I want to be able to run a 180 watt laptop, a 40w 12v tv, a powered cooler, and some undercar LED's I plan to use for lighting.

Yes, you should be able to do that easily. In the summer you will have a huge amount of extra power to run fans and almost anything else you could want. In the winter you could run into periods of clouds and you will be glad you bought every watt!!!!

Edit: I am aware I'll need a pure sine inverter to run the laptop.

No harm done by being extra-cautious if you can afford it. I've always used Modified Sine Wave on my laptops and have never had a problem. The choice is yours.

I don't have good, high quality batteries, but have been looking to upgrade to some in the future. In all the research I've done and the thousands of opinions I've read about house batteries, I've finally come to the conclusion that unless you really need AGM/sealed batteries to mount them sideways or whatever, then it's really not worth the extra cost over getting high quality flooded lead acid batteries, like trojan, etc. On average, AGM's are 3 times the cost, even if they last 2-3 years longer than flooded, you can replace the flooded 2-3 times in that time span for the same cost... and in that time battery technology will likely improve!

It seems to me that if you don't NEED the AGM, then you pay 3x the cost for the convenience of not having to check the water levels.

Again, I don't actually have 1st hand experience with either type yet (just cheapo marine/starting flooded batteries which are complete crap).... just my 2 cents!

Maybe because im low usage but ive not had to add water yet and its been over 6 months. I still check it every month.

Certainly squeeze as much solar on your roof as you can. Mppt charge controllers can allow you to squeeze as much wattage from those panels as possible, especially with low battery voltages and low ambient/panel temperatures. It is really hard to have too much solar, and all to easy to not have enough.

180 watt laptop? That thing is a Monster. The power brick ratings are what the power brick is capable of delivering, not what the laptop will always be demanding. My 90 watt DC to DC adapter is drawing 22.5 watts as I type this, but the battery is already fully charged.

I never had issues using a 800 watt coleman MSW inverter charging my laptops, though my older one would slow down noticeable once the battery was full. I mainly use my Wagan 400 PSW now for things which I cannot just use a dc to dc converter for. It is quiet, whereas the coleman fan is annoyingly loud and has a high standby current of 0.9 amps, just turned on, powering nothing. I have a DC to DC car converter for my laptop, but the plugs eventually wear out, lose tension overheat and melt. I am on my 4th, and once this fails I will be adding Anderson powerpoles to bypass the Ciggy plug, which while a convenient standard, makes a poor connection.

I can push the ciggy plug deeper into the socket and the voltage drop decreases by .35volts, let it go and it increases again. The more load, the more drop.

Long story short, always suspect the ciggy plugs and receptacles when things using them start acting funky. The ultimate solution lies in using a better connector if the problem is recurring.

Some batteries do not use much water but others do, especially in hot weather and when there is nightly cycling and daily full or nearly full recharging attempted. My old Everstart took water once in 7 years, my Crowns needed water 5 times a year, which ultimately caused their early demise.

No worries about using multiple charging sources at once. Some might drop out and not contribute any charging current, but none will be damaged by doing so.

Most inexpensive Powered coolers are energy hogs. One of these can take a large battery down to 50% overnight, just on its own as they can draw 4.2 amps continuous. That is 100 amp hours for a 24 hour period, not taking into account the peukert effect. mostly these powered coolers are designed only for keeping things cool during driving when the alternator is providing the necessary current.

Compressor fridges are much more efficient, especially the ones intended to run on 12v, But $$$. The Inverter powering a 120Vac dorm fridge option, will also consume a considerable amount more battery power than a 12v compressor fridge.

The high initial cost of a 12v compressor fridge is negated by not having to increase battery storage, and increasing recharging capability. Mine payed for itself in a little over a year, just counting the cost of Block Ice, not including the gas to go get it or the inconvenience of having to go get it, and clean out stinky water, or throw out food contaminated by stinky water.

Also some dorm fridges require large inverters just to handle the start up surge. In general, the closer the rating the inverter is to what it will be powering, the more efficient it will be.

I've been living like this for 12+ years. The 12v compressor fridge is probably the best thing I have added, and enough Solar power to run it indefinitely. For me it is a Luxury that crossed the line into necessity back in '07, and I wonder how I managed beforehand.

Thank you all so much for your quick and extremely helpful responses! I will probably try and assemble a kit piecemeal depending on the cost difference since I was already considering the mppt controller problem. I considered not going for AGM, but to me it just seems like one of those get what you pay for sort of scenarios.

In case any of you were wondering it's a gaming laptop hence the high power draw. The one I ended up with says it draws 100-240v at 2.5 amps.

I may very well look into a 12v fridge. I was considering it already, and I'm trying to set this van up for the long haul time wise so it sounds like a smart investment.

Thats good info on solar setup. I had not even thought about using a battery charger pluged into shore power or a generator and not unhooking.the solar setup. I had assumed you had to disconnect. Learning, learning I am.....

Yeah it's very good news. I believe you can buy a charger that will charge in stages (the smart in smart charger) like a good charge controller would. I'm hoping that rather than putting in an inverter I can find a 12v connector for my laptop and run everything off 12v. Then I can put in a shore power hookup where there is an existing cylinder lock that I don't have a key to (my ride is an ex-work van), and wire it directly to the charger, then that to the batteries. Instead of having to lug around a charger it will already be wired in and automatically charge the batteries when connected to the outside shore power line.

Here's the kind of thing I was talking about for a charger:
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Plus-Charger/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_0_0

MadTitan, everything you described there is easily done and will work great.

I've found that not everything will work off native 12 volt so an inverter is a necessity for me. But if you limit your electrical needs it probably can be done.
Bob