Van Conversion for Beginner

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h4nn4h

Reaction score
[font=Helvetica, Arial,]Hi everyone![/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial,]I am looking to convert a van into my full-time home in the future.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial,]Thank you,[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial,]Hannah[/font]

Welcome to the CRVL forums Hannah! I have deleted parts of your post and also the link because new members are not permitted to include links until they have made at least 10 substantial posts. Perhaps you could ask the questions in a poll using the option at the bottom of a new post.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

BC Guy said:

I would start with something like that and then improve it as I learned more, but I need to use a CPAP machine for heath and stealth reasons, so have to put in solar right away. It is confusing as hell as I know very little about electronics and - from what I have seen on the forum - the people who do have a lot of disagreements on the best way to proceed. :huh:

GeorgiePorgie said:
from what I have seen on the forum - the people who do have a lot of disagreements on the best way to proceed.

You noticed that too huh?  Here I thought I was the only one....  (note a touch of sarcasm in there.. hahaha)

GeorgiePorgie said:
so have to put in solar right away … the people who do have a lot of disagreements on the best way to proceed

There's so many ways to do a solar set up and depends on so many factors.

At minimum, you'll need an extra battery besides what's under the hood of your van.  The size you'll need depends on a lot of factors.

If you drive frequently, then a battery isolator might be a good investment because you'll be able to charge your auxilary battery just by driving the van.  If you're not driving around a lot, then either skip it or put it lower down on the list.

To have solar, you'll need solar panels, some way to mount them, a solar controller to manage the power going into the battery, and wiring to hook it all together.  A couple fuses in the system wouldn't hurt either.

Do you know how much power your CPAP takes?  Does it have a wattage or volts/amps rating on the power cord or on the unit?  That'll give us a good place to start.  Also, what part of the country are you in?  The farther north, the more solar you're going to need to make it work.  You mentioned a need for stealth -- does that mean folding portable solar panels are probably out of the question?

I am in Central California and intend to Winter here. However, I want to take off for the East Coast as soon as I buy a van and put it together. I will probably do a good amount of traveling around the country in the summer. I am going to be (hopefully) working until around June and am on an island, so I can't do much until then. I have to check on how to turn my CPAP into 12 volt power, but pretty sure an adapter is available.
I am not sure how much driving how much driving I will do in California as this lifestyle will be new to me, but, at the least, I will have to move the vehicle several times a day to maintain stealth.

If you can do the CPAP on 12v directly, that'll certainly help.

In general, my thoughts on solar: Try to reasonably balance the solar wattage with the battery amp hours (various calculations exist on this), but overall, go as big as you can on both.  You'll never say, "oh, I wish I didn't have so many solar panels!"  It won't happen.

If you can possibly afford it, grab a simple Lithium battery.  You won't have to worry about trying to get it fully charged every day and there's some significant weight savings.  It's certainly not cheap though.  I bought a couple AGMs for my truck camper, and I wish I had spent more and gotten a lithium instead.  I'm always worried about trying to fully recharge 'em.  Just my 2 cents there.

For what it is worth, I need to be frugal until I figure how to make money with this new lifestyle. I have lived overseas - Thailand - for many years and had a business, but can't do the same thing here. I have to work for a living and am not likely to make a lot of money. I hope to buy a van and fix it up for around $10,000. I think that is doable, but as I am not mechanical at all, am very concerned about getting a van that is in relatively good shape and getting someone to help with the electrical system.

There has been a regular van build gathering up at Lake Havasu. Might wanna keep your ears to the track for when it is gonna happen again. Check out some of the van build videos to see what all they help with. I'm sure there are folks here that attended as well. Chime in van build attendees!!!!

GeorgiePorgie said:
I hope to buy a van and fix it up for around $10,000. I think that is doable, but as I am not mechanical at all, am very concerned about getting a van that is in relatively good shape and getting someone to help with the electrical system.
Focus primarily on the condition of the basic mechanicals, and if you have very little income, keep at least half your bank account in reserve for breakdowns and maintenance, don't blow it all up front.

My system for vehicle budgeting: https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?pid=353330#pid353330

And learn how to do as much as possible yourself, IOW get mechanical. Especially 12V electrics, not much learning involved, plenty of guidance and help available.

h4nn4h said:
[font=Helvetica, Arial,]Hi everyone![/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial,]I am looking to convert a van into my full-time home in the future.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial,]Thank you,[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial,]Hannah[/font]

So you're talking about a full-blown build, with insulation, cabinet work and solar panels?

My advice would be to start out with the cheap 'n easy conversions posted at the links above.

Then take some trips. When you're trying to decide whether the bed should go across the back, across the front, or along the side, you're going to have trouble making the decision without some actual experience.

Also, actual travel experience might show you that something that matters a great deal to the person whose conversion video you're watching doesn't mean that much to you. 

Once you're clear about what YOU want for how YOU travel, then's the time to plan for a real build.

So concentrate on buying a good van first. Then travel in it. Then decide what floor plan and systems you want. And never miss the chance to tour conversions that other people have done, and ask them questions about what they did and why they decided to do it that way.

I'm wondering if the Solar Suitcase (200 watt) might be worth buying in the beginning - while feeling out what one actually needs. I need to power a CPAP machine and I would like to have a refrigerator, fan and lights. I will need power right away. However, I will probably not be able to access shore power often and plan on a lot of stealth camping. I'm not sure how convenient it will be to look for a place to park, put the panels out and charge them.

The only other alternative is carrying a small genny when long-term boondocking and roof area is not enough.

I LOVE that link "The $320 1 Hour Van Conversion" and "1 Week No Skill Van Conversion"

urbanhermit70 said:
I LOVE that link "The $320 1 Hour Van Conversion" and "1 Week No Skill Van Conversion"

I thought they were really good too. The mattress in the first one sounds great and so does the bed frame. However, it does not look tall enough for much storage space underneath. I saw one video where the guy got Home Depot to make a bed frame out of wood to his specifications. I would prefer the ready-made steel frame, but the wooden one would probably be better for storing things.