van body/rust repair in N.E. Ohio

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awesum

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get my vans rusted areas worked on in N.E Ohio or across the PA line ? I am in Trumbull County, Ohio and can't find a shop that does rust repair , they all just do collision (removal of entire panels, and replace or pulling out dents and paint ).

No first hand experience with a one-stop shop... I did all my own work after I had a local guy sand blast areas that needed it and then cut/formed frame and body panels where needed and had them welded in.

I just googled "Auto Body Rust Repair in Akron, OH" And found a few.
I'm sure there are some in Warren and the Youngstown areas.
Once you have a few folks willing to do it, have them take a look on a lift with you tagging along and let them recommend what they will do and at what cost. What can wait and what needs done now and why, etc.
Take your vehicle to body repair guy #2 and #3 and have them give you the same, all the while asking questions based upon what you have learned from the others.
At some point you will understand what needs done and about where the price should be. You also may learn that you could have a costly undertaking that its not worth doing. Either way it's a good exercise to save you some money.

No first hand experience with a one-stop shop... I did all my own work after I had a local guy sand blast areas that needed it and then cut/formed frame and body panels where needed and had them welded in.

I just googled "Auto Body Rust Repair in Akron, OH" And found a few.
I'm sure there are some in Warren and the Youngstown areas.
Once you have a few folks willing to do it, have them take a look on a lift with you tagging along and let them recommend what they will do and at what cost. What can wait and what needs done now and why, etc.
Take your vehicle to body repair guy #2 and #3 and have them give you the same, all the while asking questions based upon what you have learned from the others.
At some point you will understand what needs done and about where the price should be. You also may learn that you could have a costly undertaking that its not worth doing. Either way it's a good exercise to save you some money.
Great advice. Thank you for responding. I think my unexperienced attempt to do some of the work in the begining myself only made it worse. I am 66 yrs of age, no garage for working on such problems in the various weather hear in Ohio and really no experience. Seems most of the places that do body work don't waste their time on rust repair, just insurance covered collision repair. There is a shop that speciallzes restore and modifying antiques and show cars, but they are super busy and only usually have time for the car show cars. I was hoping to travel while living out of my van, but now 3 years after I purchasing it, and recently retiring, I am not comfortable taking it out on the road since it looks shabby. Thank you for your advice, I hope I can put it to use. Travel happy and all the best to you

Ask an auto parts store in smaller towns, if there is a local who does body work out of his garage/shop.

Around Lordstown (I know it's not GM anymore) there should be some workers who did side work like that and may still be doing it.

Around Oakland County Michigan, it was common to see this outside of areas with rigid zoning laws. They were restoring vintage vehicles or building street rods for the Woodward Dream Cruise. I had a guy in Oxford Michigan, who did some body repair for me, he had his own pro paint booth.

^^^^ That's a good point. Now that spring is here, start looking for car shows and cruise nights. Talk to people driving project cars and find out who does their work. Also, search out any trade schools / community colleges that have a body shop class. They may be willing to have the students work on your van.

Great advice. Thank you for responding. I think my unexperienced attempt to do some of the work in the begining myself only made it worse. I am 66 yrs of age, no garage for working on such problems in the various weather hear in Ohio and really no experience. Seems most of the places that do body work don't waste their time on rust repair, just insurance covered collision repair. There is a shop that speciallzes restore and modifying antiques and show cars, but they are super busy and only usually have time for the car show cars. I was hoping to travel while living out of my van, but now 3 years after I purchasing it, and recently retiring, I am not comfortable taking it out on the road since it looks shabby. Thank you for your advice, I hope I can put it to use. Travel happy and all the best to you
Watch Fab Rats on You Tube. They do all kinds of stuff like that and more. There is another vanlifer called Regretlyss on You Tube who bought a bus with MAJOR rust from the driver's seat to underneath her pedals. She has a bunch of friends who did that repair. Would have cost thousands I think if they weren't friends. You can watch how they did it on her channel, and the fabricator explained it step by step.

Watch Fab Rats on You Tube. They do all kinds of stuff like that and more. There is another vanlifer called Regretlyss on You Tube who bought a bus with MAJOR rust from the driver's seat to underneath her pedals. She has a bunch of friends who did that repair. Would have cost thousands I think if they weren't friends. You can watch how they did it on her channel, and the fabricator explained it step by step.
Thank you so much. Will do. All the best to you and yours.