Van bed width or length for twin bed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lf6998

Reaction score
I am 5'6" and think the measurements are close for a twin (ish) size bet to sleep across wheel wells, or other options.

Can you really sleep width of van across/over wheel wells???

I am thinking length wise of van. But still a twin bed with storage underneath.  

I have been reading the forums, you tube and Bob's videos, a width bed over wheel wells seems to be short unless sleeping at an angle.

Please pictures or refer to videos would be appreciated.  

Is it possible?

Thank you L

lf6998 said:
I am 5'6" and think the measurements are close for a twin (ish) size bet to sleep across wheel wells, or other options.

I am thinking length wise of van. But still a twin bed with storage underneath.  

I have been reading the forums, you tube and Bob's videos, a width bed over wheel wells seems to be short unless sleeping at an angle.

Please pictures or refer to videos would be appreciated.  

Is it possible?

Thank you L

I'm struggling with this as well. Do I want a permanent bed across the width or a twin bed length wise which allows a walk through ... many pros and cons for each.

lf6998 said:

Depends on the van.

I am 6' and can sleep widthwise in my Promaster with 4" extra.    This is a pic of me mocking up the platform (forgive the camera angle):

I limited insulation there to .5" of polyiso on each side or the space would have been 6'3".  If I find that to be a problem I'll add in another .5" polyiso.   The width and front wheel drive are why the Ducato/Promaster dominates the european RV market.

Sleeping at a diagonal is no big deal anyhow;  it just means the platform will need to be a little bigger in area.

Ugg, that pic has been bugging me.  I rotated it in GIMP and tried to edit the post but it was too late.  Here's the straightened pic:

I'm 5'7" and the length between walls in my setup is 6'. I could give up about an inch but don't think I would be comfortable beyond that. Some of it depends on how you sleep. On your side with your legs bent a bit and you take up less than your height. On your stomach with your feet pointed out and your arms under your face with your elbows forward and you take up a few inches more than your height. Figure out how you want to do your walls them measure how much room is left. 6' or more you should be fine, any less you'll have to decide how much of a buffer you need.

It’s definitely personal preference, tho i did find during a time being single, having the bed length of the van in a twin size set up was nice..

I have done 2 vans with the bed across the back. I'm 5'8. my current bed is 5'6 x 3'6. It is fine for one person. I can actually stretch out once my head is elevated on pillows. My wife and I can both sleep on it pretty comfortably. To me it is worth having more floor space. If I were to do a bed the length of the van it would have to be a murphy bed or a dinette to make the space multi functional.

The bed in my first van was made out of a Ikea futon I cut in half and measured 74"L by 32" w... It was perfect for one person. (I'm 6"2)...
[img=262x196]http://oi44.tinypic.com/10pq7t1.jpg[/img]

The bed in my B is 55"L by 69" W. I haveto lay down at an angle, but is super comfortable.

I'll probably do my lengthwise because I can't find an innerspring mattress that will fit side to side.  I tried a memory foam mattress in my TT but couldn't stand the fact that it is so hard to turn over and I just prefer an innerspring mattress.  I would like to find one less than the standard 39" twin but haven't found one that I feel is affordable.  I also want an open aisle from front to back and am looking at a murphy bed of some sort.

closeanuf said:
I'll probably do my lengthwise because I can't find an innerspring mattress that will fit side to side.  I tried a memory foam mattress in my TT but couldn't stand the fact that it is so hard to turn over and I just prefer an innerspring mattress.  I would like to find one less than the standard 39" twin but haven't found one that I feel is affordable.  I also want an open aisle from front to back and am looking at a murphy bed of some sort.

You don't have to use memory foam to find a foam mattress that is comfortable. Foam comes in all different grades of firmness.

Go to a place that specifically works with foam like an upholstery shop and check out the different foams.

I sleep on a 3" very firm slab of foam with a simple mattress topper from W/M but I like  my bed to be really firm.

If you still want an innerspring mattress that's less than standard twin size, check out bunk bed mattresses, they're usually somewhat narrower than a twin. Hard to get bedding for though!

Also, RV shops will have access to different size mattresses.

My memory is a little sketchy but I think the width of my van is 69" at the bed platform height. (That is with 1/4" paneling attached directly to the ribs.) I'm about 73" tall. It's a little tight, but I'm trying to make it work because I love the extra space it gives me. Besides, my girlfriend isn't really using the bottom few inches on her side of the bed!

At 66" tall I would think sideways would be perfectly comfortable.

closeanuf said:

If I run across something in my research I will forward on here.  Memory foam and rv beds are the only ones I have seen.

Custom Casper or Leesa???

I have also been debating this issue.  Because I have a smaller van, if I do it across the back I would not have enough floor space for the kit with fridge, dog kennel, etc. So I think it would be best to build it length-wise behind the drivers seat, but I need to build something that I can pull out. I finally figured out the pattern for the slatted bed, but not sure about the frame it goes on top of. Does anyone have an idea for a simple expandable bad?

Sleep said:
I have also been debating this issue.  Because I have a smaller van, if I do it across the back I would not have enough floor space for the kit with fridge, dog kennel, etc. So I think it would be best to build it length-wise behind the drivers seat, but I need to build something that I can pull out. I finally figured out the pattern for the slatted bed, but not sure about the frame it goes on top of. Does anyone have an idea for a simple expandable bad?

Could bed be set up above kennel and fridge for storage?   A website sportsmobiledyo.com has dimensions of some vans which may help.

I don;t have my van yet, but will be trying to incorporate pieces of furniture I have that will serve as storage and kitchen. 

Now that I know its possible to go width for a twin bed, I need to figure out van and layout, may have to do solar build in AZ as no one in 
WI does mobile solar that I have found.

Good luck!!!

lf6998 said:
Could bed be set up above kennel and fridge for storage?   A website sportsmobiledyo.com has dimensions of some vans which may help.

Good luck!!!

The only problem is if I make it too high can I still sit on the bed without my head hitting the top. But I will double check my measurements in case that would work. Both the fridge and kennel are 17-18 inches tall.

I got a lot from this thread so thanks! I am 6'3" and I am still trying to figure out what I want to do for my bed situation. For now, I am going to put together a simple bed platform across the wheel wells and use my queen sized regular mattress. I just have it in between the wells on the floor. It fits perfectly! It has been fine for now, but I am dreaming of extra storage at this point. I really don't have a choice but to go lengthwise in my Chevy G20. I will eventually get a custom sized memory foam bed, but money is super tight right now.

I'm in a Chevy Express extended van. I'm not sure that matters, but I've put the bed across the back. The frame is 68" wide, but the mattress is 70". The bed is 36" wide. I'm 5'6" and my English Shepherd and I fit perfectly, and I'm not petite, by any means! It was a passenger van so it has windows and I have the mattress snug up against each window.
I bought a mattress from IKEA and cut it to size.

I don't need headroom myself, long as I can read sideways and my shoulder doesn"t engage turning over.

For long people, maybe diagonal? Might allow for a bench/cabinet along the other side.

Have a look at V-berths on yachts.

Amazing what you can get used to if you want to.

snarfersnarf said:
I got a lot from this thread so thanks! I am 6'3" and I am still trying to figure out what I want to do for my bed situation.  I really don't have a choice but to go lengthwise in my Chevy G20. I will eventually get a custom sized memory foam bed, but money is super tight right now.
Some of the memory foam mattresses I've seen have a kind of gel filler, so I'm sure you wouldn't cut that. But many others are x inches of memory foam glued to x inches of high-density foam - those can be cut with a serrated knife.
The length is a common issue, & lengthwise often seems to be the arrangement. It helps to get the underbed storage figured out first, then set the height of the bed frame over whatever storage bins you find. You can get some wedge shaped cushions to help use it as a couch as well.