Value of a Hi-Top

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

introverting

Reaction score
I'm looking at a hi-top van and I'm unsure how to value the hi-top itself.  I have a value for the van via Kelly Blue Book, but how would you go about valuing the hi-top itself?

Having a hi-top was #1 on my list and non-negotiable.  

While I was checking out the van I did purchase, I took pictures of the almost mint hi-top that had been installed on it.  I searched online and found the most likely match was a company in CA called Fiberine.  Comparing its features to their price lists, I could guesstimate that I would have to pay around $1,800 - $2,000 for the hi-top new.  That did not include getting it to me, nor having it installed.  The former I could not do, the latter I felt I could have done with help and at some cost.  But since the van body and mechanics were in good shape, I was not sorry to part with $4,000 for my van.

I know I was very lucky. It might be a search and a half to match up a decent junkyard hi-top to a decent used van, so I hope this helps and the van you're checking out turns out to be the one!

Sassy

introverting said:
I'm looking at a hi-top van and I'm unsure how to value the hi-top itself.  I have a value for the van via Kelly Blue Book, but how would you go about valuing the hi-top itself?

I had the money set aside in the budget to put a high top on if I found a good van without one. That included a trip to the closest facility plus motel stay, etc.

There really is no good way other than to price out what adding one would cost you if you're trying to negotiate a purchase price on a van.

If you find a good van and it also happens to have the high top on it, consider that you've saved the price of having one put on. If you find you need some small amounts of body work or some mechanical, I figure it will all balance out. It's easier to have mechanical work done than it is to get the high top installed.

Value to me, as Wagoneer said - priceless!!

I looked specifically for an extended length & hi top, and glad I found one. Long & tall, never looked back.

I can only second what everyone else has already said; high-top or nothing. I couldn't do the van thing without one.

Most of the responses here have been about whether a high top is worth the extra price. After standing in the van yesterday, I don't question that at all, especially since I'm over 6 feet tall. I'm looking for a way to properly value the high top so that I have better negotiating power. Right now, the dealer as asking for about $2,300 more than the KBB value for the same van without a high top.

Perhaps a little room to dicker, but that is still $500 less than it would cost to get the job done. 

It is a used van, with a limited market.

Figure it this way!

If the high top is an absolute necessity to you and you bought a van without one, you'd spend pretty close to the $2,300 getting a high top put on by the time you figure purchase price, transportation (either the high top to you or you and the van to the high top mfr), installation cost etc.

Only you know whether the high top is worth that extra $2,300 he's asking for it to YOU!

Thanks, Almost There.  That pretty much answers it for me, although I'll probably not be buying the van after all.  See my thread here about having to make a non-refundable deposit to test drive the vehicle

introverting said:
Most of the responses here have been about whether a high top is worth the extra price.  After standing in the van yesterday, I don't question that at all, especially since I'm over 6 feet tall.  I'm looking for a way to properly value the high top so that I have better negotiating power.  Right now, the dealer as asking for about $2,300 more than the KBB value for the same van without a high top.

While I can't guesstimate how much the top is worth used, (I can tell you only that I'd love to have one) I can tell you that you're NOT going to get a Fiberine top with insulation, wood strips laminated in for strength, a nice white gelcoat exterior, interior liner and installation for $2300 out-the door; it will most likely be near double that. Also, the pro installed tops (check out Lady Arabella's build pics) usually have a roll bar/structural reinforcement (welded square stock) that Fiberine does not do. Don't know if that's an insurance requirement for the pro's insurance, or it's just something they do. You can also see it in Sportsmobile's pics.

My factory hi top has a 1" hollow square tubing framework, with wood attachments and fully insulated. When I removed the non-working AC unit in back I realized how well built the top was. I'm not sure how the DIY units are constructed.

i would never buy ANY van i have not driven, and I would never pay someone $500 to go for a test drive, hi top or not
As far as 'valuing' a hi top, I have no idea, a vehicle is worth as much as you can sell it for

introverting said:
@drysailor:  Think the roll cage/structural reinforcement might be required if you will be carrying passengers.  That's what I read on a site yesterday.

@ArtW:  Well, the fact that they haven't provided an AutoCheck report that I asked for over the weekend pretty much kills any idea of doing business with them.

Well, I finally found a place with hightop/hi-top pricing.  http://www.discountvantruck.com/vantopsraisedroofs/vantops.htm.  Note that the prices are just for the top itself and do not include delivery or installation.