Using "xfinitywifi" Networks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

protryon

Reaction score
I've used Comcast for many years in my apartment, but never used the xfinitywifi public networks. I recently started using them on the go (I'm in the Bay Area, so they're everywhere), and it provides great high-speed internet on the go without worrying about Unlimited plan limits. If you're a full-timer, you might have a hard time getting access to them, but if you can I totally recommend it.

Getting fast, free WiFi is always a good thing! We use xfinity hot spots too because we got the code from friends while visiting them. Now the code is just sitting in our computers waiting to be used.

how does this work? do any of the other home internet providers have this? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
how does this work?  do any of the other home internet providers have this?  highdesertranger

Comcast routers broadcast a second network called xfinitywifi, all cable internet. CableWifi is hosted by Time Warner I think, I've seen those around albeit not as often.

You need to have a code from someone that has comcast/xfinity home internet.

Everyone that has a new xfiinity home internet router has the extra xfinity wi-fi channel built in and yes they are everywhere......well , almost (if you are near buildings that are in an xfinity coverage area)

Cox has WiFi and you can roam to other carriers via the network choice "cable wifi". My son has Cox and I will be using his account to access wifi when on the road. I have a wifi antenna attached to the outside of my fan vent so I have reception inside my Faraday cage.
Ted

Charter/Spectrum/Time Warner (or whatever they are now called) also has this. For those networks, you use your login/PW from your cable account to access free wifi.

Anybody have an xfinity code they would PM to me???

I think to give you access you need the username and password of their Xfinity account. That would give you access to email and billing information.

Changing subjects: think of how this product of Xfinity's works: they charge you a monthly fee for service and a monthly rental for their cable modem/wifi router which expands their product offering/network. Pretty good business model...

If you happen to be a little tech-savvy and know how to manipulate, or 'spoof', the MAC address of your WiFi card you can use networks such as 'xfinitywifi' for as long as you like without having your device registered under a paying account.

It's essentially free, limitless WiFi in an absurd amount of locations with a little bit of effort. If anyone is interested in the entire process feel free to send me a PM.