Using Raspberyy PIs to Watch HD TV on the Go

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

protryon

Reaction score
So I didn't want to completely forgo my daily ritual of a Youtube video or TV show before bed. Even with the best free WiFi, its still free WiFi, and speeds are left to be desired... especially with me and my HD monitors. In order to not sap power, this is a strategy I've been using for large downloads. For those who don't know, a Raspberry PI is a mini computer that can be hooked up to a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. All of the versions take single digit wattages (WiFi and downloading will take more, monitors that are on usually take about 20). These can be left on overnight or if you work, at work too. I leave them downloading Youtube videos, Netflix, etc and then either watch them on the Pi or transfer them to my desktop. This can also cut down on data usage if the majority of your usage comes from big downloads/streaming.

Not to mention, I don't think many of us use desktop computers, so these Pis are a cheap and much more power efficient laptop alternative and/or cell phone alternative. They range from $5->$30 depending on the model you want, with usually about $20 in peripherals.

I hope some of you get some use out of this.

-Max

At this point, the only Raspberry Pi I would consider for general use is the 3B, which lists for $35. Add micro SD card, keyboard, mouse, HDMI monitor, power supply, case, and cables and you can easily wind up over $100. The 0W and 0 models have their uses as well, with the others mostly specialty cases. Raspian Linux is what most people run on them. (Based on Debian.)

https://www.adafruit.com/category/105 Adafruit has Pi, accessories, and tutorials.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/ UK foundation that makes them

I'm actually glad to see this thread in here!
I built a raspberry Pi server and installed a Plex server on it.
I then use the server to serve up over 800 movies that I have
stored on a 2 terabyte USB drive.

I can then call up a movie from my iPad, then chromecast it
to my tv. Awesumm setup and really cool!!!

But, in comparasions to a large desktop based server system,
the raspberry may feel a little slower, but it gets the job done.
It streams ANY movie with out a hitch and has no buffering!

One can even send the audio to a huge sound system, and
enjoy full rich sound fully capable of knocking stuff off the walls.
That is whatever the sound system is capable of.

Also, in terms of van dwelling, the Pi runs on a low voltage ac converted to dc power...
The hard drive runs on USB, and if one has a 12v tv with hdmi capability, then the
whole system is VERY battery friendly!

So far, I have not installed the media system in our van YET!!! But I plan to do so.

I would be happy to try and field questions, just realize my server has not even been powered up for almost a year now. So my info may not be up to update...?

I've been planning on jumping into a Pi soon myself... I think for the first one I'll do the retro games emulator... But definitely probably use as a media server as well!

It's definitely not Windows, sorry I didn't mention that. I didn't know about 12V monitors/TVs, but if they're a thing you could definitely do 100% no AC power for this. Just a 5V regulator for 5$ off Ebay and maybe a 12V one for monitor and you're set.

rtb111 said:
I've been planning on jumping into a Pi soon myself... I think for the first one I'll do the retro games emulator... But definitely probably use as a media server as well!

Now is the time to do a retro game one with a pi. Not because the pi3 is supposedly 50% faster than the pi 2 but because the newest version of retropie has a nifty addition to it called game wizard. While previous versions you had to download the roms into the folders yourself (you can still do that) this wizard as a database or something where you can select say all nintendo games and it gets them and downloads them to the pi for you.

as for price that can very depending on what you already have, most already have the majority of stuff needed.
here's what i purchased
pi itself about 35
power adapter with on/off switch with pi heatsinks 10
pair of snes game pads 15
so my total was 60

and i could have gone with just the pi since i already have a pi2 the case, power supply (pi's can basically run off any newer cell phone cable too as longs as its a mini usb one)

but as mentioned the price will vary depending on what you do and the possibilities are endless

want a touch screen for it, i've seen them for 30-100 bucks depending on size and such
sd cards 32gig is probably more than enough for most but others use 128gig if your going for playstation emulation well all those games comes close to 400gigs in size. with a 32 gig chip you can easily get thousands of games on it more than 3000+ just for arcade games but when you get down to it its like cable tv you can have thousands of games but you'll end up with the small handful you actually play.

and if you really want to go all out go to youtube and type in raspberry pi nes system where a guy made one using a pi2 with working cartridges and game pad at about 40% the size of a regular nes. he had some skills with electronics removing the usb ports on it and relocating two of them and then using the other usb ports spots for wifi and bluetooth (both which come integrated on the pi 3). its a really neat setup but it requires skills most probably don't have i know i can't do it.

ryan

Also, just FYI...
Lately, we have been using our Amazon Firestick for the most part.
I installed Kodi on it and I believe, there is a way to use Kodi to cast all my movies.
And I can also use Plex on the Firestick, but is needs to see the server, (either on the Pi3 or a desktop unit) so there's that.

I will look into this in the near future, but for now, I'm just lazy and too hot to play, LOL!

Such Fun!

Latest posts