Using alcohol for heating a space

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainChaser

Reaction score
I was just watching Bob's video with Parker showing her rig, "Tour of a tiny house on a flatbed truck cabin" at and I have a question about that marine alcohol stove she has.

I know that alcohol is not the hottest-burning fuel around, but it is cheap and non-toxic.  And I mean denatured alcohol, not rubbing alcohol.  I also understand the oxygen requirements.

Would running that stove be at all effective as a source of heat in winter?  I'm talking fairly mild winter temps, maybe down to freezing.

The Mr Heater products produce a lot of moisture combusting hydrocarbons.  Since the alcohol stove is not vented to outside it would have the same problem.  In a really mild climate it would produce BTUs enough to take the chill off first thing in the morning but in a real winter environment you'll have ice forming on windows and walls.

I use a homemade alcohol stove for cooking.

In the winter when I cook dinner, it does raise the temp noticeably, enough to keep the edge off until I crawl into my sleeping bag.

But could it really function as a reasonably effective space heater? I doubt it. There's just not enough heat energy in there.

There are cylindrical radiators that sit on a campstove might help as long as you're right in front of it.

But boy would sure be a dangerous setup IMO. Also not cheap fuel.

Mr Buddy is a good cheap setup, small one's plenty, be sure to follow safety measures.

Best is Propex HS2211 or Webasto / Espar parking type, burning outside.

[font=Arial, Helvetica]900712.jpgHere's an alcohol heater from Defender Marine:[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]Origo By Dometic[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Origo Heat Pal 5100 Heater
Item # : 900712 

[/font]

[*]BTU: 5,200, Heat Source: Denatured Alcohol

[*]Remove Lid and Use as Single-Burner Stove

[*]Dimensions: 11.5" W x 11.5" H
Model Number: 5100

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The Origo Heat Pal 5100 is a small-sized portable space heater that doubles as a single-burner stove. Features: Safe and easy to use Material: aluminum and stainless steel Nonpressurized Rust-proof No priming or preheating necessary Specifications:[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]List Price: $245.00
Our Price: $189.99[/font]

Attachments

• 900712.jpg
    900712.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 9
Hi guys. I use denatured alcohol to cook and sometimes for heating. I have a HeatMate 5200 (maybe no longer available?) That is my favorite and very safe. I have had an Origo HeatPal and it works, i just didnt love the slider control so it sold along with a trailer that I sold last fall. The stove that this woman had in her rig is the newer version of the cook function of my HeatMate, its on my wish list. When i lived in my van the HeatMate was my only heater, unfortunately I was on such a tight budget then that a gallon of fuel was difficult to buy. Cooking takes a little more time, compared to propane tho I cant use propane and needed an option. As a heatrr it does produce some condensation, tho in some situations i used a KandleHeeter with paraffin fuel and the HeatMate in the same space, the combination was a nice warm, dry comfy heat. Enough for the square footage in my van and with a modificationto the KandleHeeter for safety, it was a very safe option.
Homebuilt alcohol hiking stoves and Esbit comercial ones work great as well. Be careful with fire

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

TrainChaser said:
I know that alcohol is not the hottest-burning fuel around, but it is cheap and non-toxic.  And I mean denatured alcohol, not rubbing alcohol.  I also understand the oxygen requirements.

Would running that stove be at all effective as a source of heat in winter?  I'm talking fairly mild winter temps, maybe down to freezing.

Ethyl alcohol is non-toxic.  Denatured alcohol is ethyl alcohol with toxic agents added so it cannot be safely ingested.

Burning denatured alcohol releases "[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]along with poisonous gases (like carbon monoxide, a respiratory toxin), organic compounds (like benzene, a carcinogen), and irritant gases (like nitrogen dioxide and formaldehyde), as well as ultrafine combustion particles."  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140903091728.htm[/font]

[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]WHO lists denatured alcohol as a polluting fuel for indoor use.  Since it is recommended that you have ample ventilation when burning it, it wouldn't be effective as a heat source.[/font]

[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Always check the Material Safety Data Sheet.[/font]

[font='Open Sans', sans-serif] -- Spiff[/font]

[font='Open Sans', sans-serif] [/font]

I'd never have alcohol anything on my vehicle. Growning up, my parents had a sailboat (7 people in a 37' boat-no wonder I can live in a van!). It had an alcohol stove/oven and it drove my mother crazy. Her fond regard for it only grew after she had a little explosion. We all thought that she was yelling "Spider! Spider! " We should have known otherwise as she wasn't bothered by anything but our pet snakes. It was an unholy mess from the fire extinguisher to clean up.

Ted

I use a Wave 3 and leave my maxxair running at night to expel unwanted heat.

My .02.

TrainChaser said:
Okay, thanks for all the information!

I was thinking of using Kleen-Strip Denatured Alcohol: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-qt-Green-Denatured-Alcohol-QKGA75003/202249513

Just for the record, I've lived in a van for seven months, and I just don't burn anything w/o ventilation.
I dont like the fumes and dirty pots using Kleen Strip with the green label. Denatured Alcohol that says marine fuel burns a little different and cleaner imho . I use it almost every day and with good ventilation as well.

ouch 8 bucks a quart. that's 32 bucks a gallon. for all of you that burn alcohol what are you paying for fuel? highdesertranger

When you're backpacking, just making coffee or a dehydrated meal NBD, but yeah any serious space heating IMO need to go propane.

highdesertranger said:
ouch 8 bucks a quart.  that's 32 bucks a gallon.  for all of you that burn alcohol what are you paying for fuel?  highdesertranger

A quart of denatured costs, IIRC, 5 or 6 bucks in Walmart. That'll last me a month or so, depending on how much cooking I do.

I use a gallon in 1.5 - 2 months and pay $15-18 a gallon.
When heating I get 5 gallon containers from Ace Hardware at $50ish per.
I am low income and qualify for heating assistance, I had to get special permission for my fuel and they treat me well.
I suppliment with wood cooking and heating when possible and have plenty of a supply

Yup. Not cheap. But in my particular situation, it has been the most reliable solution. HDR - I have allergic reactions to propane!

If you distill your own (very cheap and easy) as long as you're only using it for subsistence heating I bet you'd have a great case if the revenooers catch you.

Just make sure they don't catch you and your (many new) friends drinking any :cool: